Questions regarding selective and tutoring (1 Viewer)

HSC
My first main question is which schools should I apply for, I live in Greater Western Sydney. I was thinking of applying to Penrith, Girra, then Fort Street in that order.

I attend a partially selective school atm and have 1 year agricultural school experience.

I'm not a straight A student, my last report were 4-5 As and 3-4 Bs (I think as I don't have access to my report atm)

The main thing that carries my application are my extracurriculars, I've got into zone for athletics, cross country, swimming for both my current school and last school. And I recieved First in science, geography, history, a couple of behaviour awards, Swimming age champion, second in course Geography, hsie competition, geo competition, math Olympiad etc.

I also do kickboxing, rugby, swimming and piano out of school which also gave me some prizes. There's more that I'm missing but you get the idea

Are there any "sporty" schools that actually value extracurricular activities and sport involvement, I know high values it but it doesn't accept applications into yr 10 which is what I'll be applying for this year.

I also know Fort values English and music quite alot which is good because my writing has always been good.

I don't mind travelling into the city however I won't go to school where it's travel time is more than 1hr 30 one way.

Would you guys have any good school recommendations or suggest changing my prefences?

Also my 2nd main question is regarding tutoring,

I used to do kumon in primary however stopped at yr 5 I didn't mind tutoring however I didn't really think I required it as I went through my past couple of years at hs pretty smooth but now I think I need it as schools getting more serious and I'm set on making selective this year.

Would you have any good tutoring schools that actually teach you concepts instead of throwing a book at you and expecting you to teach yourself. Also, keep in mind I live near blacktown so I wouldn't prefer to travel to the city for 1-2 classes a week. Any good schools near west syd?

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that I could perhaps provide some insight and answer some of your questions. The order of your school preferences seems appropriate since you live near Blacktown, which is closer to Girraween High School and Penrith Selective High School than to Fort Street High School. FSHS is ranked slightly higher than both GHS and PSHS, although this should not deter you from considering the other two schools, especially since you can achieve favourable results at any school.

Your previous academic results may not be optimal, although they are still of a high standard and would probably still give you a chance of receiving an offer. This means that maximising your chances will require you to consider other emphasise other elements in the application process, such as your performance in the HAST as well as your extracurricular activities (which you have mentioned). In terms of your extracurricular activities, you seem to have participated in numerous activities and have received multiple awards/prizes as part of them. In addition to performing favourably at school and in the HAST, such involvement in extracurricular activities may be advantageous as it can demonstrate to these schools that you are a well-rounded student, a quality that extends beyond being only academically capable.

Regarding your tutoring question, some tutoring centres that might be close to you include Sigma Science, Sydney Centre of Mathematics and Dymocks Tutoring. These are generally considered to offer good-quality tutoring. Although only Dymocks Tutoring offers tutoring for year 10 subjects, you can still consider the other two centres for Stage 6. Of course, this will also depend on your subject selection for year 11 and year 12. There is also the option of private tutoring, which can be more flexible and tailored to your individual needs.

With that being said, whether you should seek tutoring depends on your academic goals (for example, students who wish to achieve a high ATAR may consider tutoring helpful in enabling them to achieve it) as well as whether you wish to address weaknesses in particular subjects. While it is common for selective school students to receive tutoring, it may not be necessary, and favourable results can definitely be achieved without tutoring. Ultimately, you should consider your own circumstances and make an informed decision accordingly.

I hope this helps! :D

HSC
I think that I could perhaps provide some insight and answer some of your questions. The order of your school preferences seems appropriate since you live near Blacktown, which is closer to Girraween High School and Penrith Selective High School than to Fort Street High School. FSHS is ranked slightly higher than both GHS and PSHS, although this should not deter you from considering the other two schools, especially since you can achieve favourable results at any school.

Your previous academic results may not be optimal, although they are still of a high standard and would probably still give you a chance of receiving an offer. This means that maximising your chances will require you to consider other emphasise other elements in the application process, such as your performance in the HAST as well as your extracurricular activities (which you have mentioned). In terms of your extracurricular activities, you seem to have participated in numerous activities and have received multiple awards/prizes as part of them. In addition to performing favourably at school and in the HAST, such involvement in extracurricular activities may be advantageous as it can demonstrate to these schools that you are a well-rounded student, a quality that extends beyond being only academically capable.

Regarding your tutoring question, some tutoring centres that might be close to you include Sigma Science, Sydney Centre of Mathematics and Dymocks Tutoring. These are generally considered to offer good-quality tutoring. Although only Dymocks Tutoring offers tutoring for year 10 subjects, you can still consider the other two centres for Stage 6. Of course, this will also depend on your subject selection for year 11 and year 12. There is also the option of private tutoring, which can be more flexible and tailored to your individual needs.

With that being said, whether you should seek tutoring depends on your academic goals (for example, students who wish to achieve a high ATAR may consider tutoring helpful in enabling them to achieve it) as well as whether you wish to address weaknesses in particular subjects. While it is common for selective school students to receive tutoring, it may not be necessary, and favourable results can definitely be achieved without tutoring. Ultimately, you should consider your own circumstances and make an informed decision accordingly.

I hope this helps! :D
It did help, thank you for this information. Would you recommend changing Fort Street to another school? The other closest school besides Penrith and Girra is Baulko but realistically speaking I wouldn't make it in. Also do you know about any other "sporty" schools/schools that actually care about extracurriculars such as Sydney Boys. I would've applied for them however they don't take entries into Year 10

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It did help, thank you for this information. Would you recommend changing Fort Street to another school? The other closest school besides Penrith and Girra is Baulko but realistically speaking I wouldn't make it in. Also do you know about any other "sporty" schools/schools that actually care about extracurriculars such as Sydney Boys. I would've applied for them however they don't take entries into Year 10
No worries. In your case, Fort Street High School is probably a more realistic option than Baulkham Hills High School. As for schools that emphasise sport-related extracurricular activities, I am not entirely sure. My understanding is that extracurricular activities may be used as a way of differentiating applications where academic performance and HAST performance are of a similar standard. If you are in such a position, your extracurricular activities will likely be considered, regardless of the school.

HSC
No worries. In your case, Fort Street High School is probably a more realistic option than Baulkham Hills High School. As for schools that emphasise sport-related extracurricular activities, I am not entirely sure. My understanding is that extracurricular activities may be used as a way of differentiating applications where academic performance and HAST performance are of a similar standard. If you are in such a position, your extracurricular activities will likely be considered, regardless of the school.
Thank you so much, I truly do appreciate the time you've taken out your day to answer my questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)