Sam Davis isn't incompetent (1 Viewer)

SamDavisEnjoyer420

HSC
Sam D said:
Mind you some of the other IPT texts (I wont mention names) are at best trivial and at worst inaccurate.
our class had been using sam davis's textbook for ipt for year 11 and half of year 12. the class decided to switch to heinemann for communication systems and literally as soon as we made that switch i understood nothing... there was no depth or explanation for anything because heinemann tries to save money on ink by excluding half of the relevant information - this is no doubt due to the syllabus changing from heinemann's publication, but the amount of detail missing under every heading is shocking

revising for trials led me back to davis for both communication systems and our option strands, and i feel like im learning these things for the first time. seriously... if you want a band 6 in this subject it is impossible to learn from heinemann alone, that piece of garbage is so trivial i went from 95-100% in project management and databases to 75% for comms systems just from learning from stupid heinemann alone
Chromatic said:
Is Sam Davis a r*tard for thinking we need this much information?
sam davis is no r*tard. the writers of heinemann are the r*tards

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
IMO go with what you feel comfortable with but ideally try to learn from both, and do your own independent research into the topics. There's plenty of people who "do well" in IPT but if you want to really do well, it'll come down to how well you can synthesise different views on each area, understand some of the more technical aspects, and then apply it to practical scenarios.

gmenoza

HSC
IMO go with what you feel comfortable with but ideally try to learn from both, and do your own independent research into the topics. There's plenty of people who "do well" in IPT but if you want to really do well, it'll come down to how well you can synthesise different views on each area, understand some of the more technical aspects, and then apply it to practical scenarios.
you joined before most of us were born thats cool

SamDavisEnjoyer420

HSC
wow i almost feel honoured to recieve advice from someone who completed their hsc the year i was born... but true, i will continue learning from heinemann in class (regrettably) and switch to davis in my private study since davis really does make more sense to me. with a fair dose of past papers thrown in as well of course, since synthesis and application are probably more important than having a deep understanding of everything...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm old but come back every now and then... :) But for what it's worth, of all the things I studied in my HSC, IPT is probably the one which proved to be the most useful in my professional career (in accounting) and I still beenfit from learning those concepts (such as how to read/draw a flowchart properly) many years later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)