Should I choose Modern History or CAFS for my year 11 and 12 subjects (1 Viewer)

hal9000

HSC
As the title said, I am in a bit of a dilemma as my history teacher believes that I should consider a history subject but I'm way too hesitant on it because I worry it is way too content loaded. I know CAFS scale low but it would not matter if I would be able to rank first or just do well in general. So if anyone that is either doing Modern History or CAFS, please provide me your opinion on how you feel about your subject,

ButteryNucleotide

HSC
hey hal, just to preface i don't do either of those subjects :eek: ALTHOUGH, i am studying biology which was always stigmatised as a "content heavy subject", and i'm really enjoying it!

also, your teacher suggested you do a history subject, which clearly demonstrates u have an extent of aptitude/passion that ur teacher has seen in class, so i really think modern is for u

however, it's really up to u, and if u think cafs is interesting the scaling won't matter 🙃 good luck on subject selection!

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
As the title said, I am in a bit of a dilemma as my history teacher believes that I should consider a history subject but I'm way too hesitant on it because I worry it is way too content loaded. I know CAFS scale low but it would not matter if I would be able to rank first or just do well in general. So if anyone that is either doing Modern History or CAFS, please provide me your opinion on how you feel about your subject,
cafs is such a breeze ngl i love that subject bc of it being really straightforward and yeah it’s pre easy to get marks in when you know how to use the syllabus properly plus yeah it does scale low but it doesn’t matter when you’re ranked first or in the top b6 range , if ur aiming for a crazy 99.95 u can still get it w cafs (but ur other subs matter also)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
just a heads up that scaling should be your very last concern when it comes to picking subjects because in the end if you perform well in that subject it'll scale well for you in the end. look at the content, i'm not familiar with cafs but look through the syllabus and some past papers to see if the topics interest you. y11/12 modern history does have a wide variety of topics the teachers pick and choose from to teach so make sure you ask your history teacher what topics you'll be doing for senior years cos you might be interested in the history of stalinist ussr but not about the usa in the same time period and your teacher could just pick one and not do the other.

it's true modh has a lot of content but if you really are interested in the topics and are willing to put in a decent bit of effort then it ends up being really enjoyable and once you get the 'hang' of how to write modh essays through practice and quickly learn what bits of info to include in essays and what not to include, writing modh essays becomes decently easier. i did modh last year, it was super fun because i liked the topics we were doing and i did a decent amount of practice essays and responses i kept giving to my teacher for feedback, with each essay becoming easier and easier to tackle every time i wrote a new one. an added (optional) bonus is that modh and english do go hand in hand when it comes to essay expression and critical analysis so i found that doing both helped max my marks for both and they ended up being my best subjects.

aqwerty13402

HSC
Just do what you have more of a passion for. If you have a passion for either that is. Regardless of content / scaling, the chances are, you will do better in the one you are more interested in

mvrcuriee

#1 SK
HSC
cafs anyday it’s easy esp if u do pdhpe bc it correlates in ways. it does get heavy but personally i liked it until i dropped it LOL

nzs

HSC
bro dont lie cafs is so shit I did it for 6 weeks most boring shi ever

aqwerty13402

HSC
butttt unless ur passionate about histroy, you'll be bored, and drowning in more content. not always ofc but :cry:

Armon

HSC
just a heads up that scaling should be your very last concern when it comes to picking subjects because in the end if you perform well in that subject it'll scale well for you in the end. look at the content, i'm not familiar with cafs but look through the syllabus and some past papers to see if the topics interest you. y11/12 modern history does have a wide variety of topics the teachers pick and choose from to teach so make sure you ask your history teacher what topics you'll be doing for senior years cos you might be interested in the history of stalinist ussr but not about the usa in the same time period and your teacher could just pick one and not do the other.

it's true modh has a lot of content but if you really are interested in the topics and are willing to put in a decent bit of effort then it ends up being really enjoyable and once you get the 'hang' of how to write modh essays through practice and quickly learn what bits of info to include in essays and what not to include, writing modh essays becomes decently easier. i did modh last year, it was super fun because i liked the topics we were doing and i did a decent amount of practice essays and responses i kept giving to my teacher for feedback, with each essay becoming easier and easier to tackle every time i wrote a new one. an added (optional) bonus is that modh and english do go hand in hand when it comes to essay expression and critical analysis so i found that doing both helped max my marks for both and they ended up being my best subjects.
this would be correct, however my atar was higher than yours and therefore it is wrong. Pick modern, cafs will lead you to tafe NSW. cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)