should i do chinese beginners or continuers? (1 Viewer)

gmenoza

HSC
im currently in year 10 and have a Chinese background speaking chinese regularly though not fluently also not being able to read or write in chinese i was wondering which one i should do for the hsc considering the difficultly level of learning the characters ect

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
A Beginners language course assumes that a student has little to no prior exposure to the different aspects of the language. Because of this, Beginners language courses (including Chinese Beginners) constitute an introduction to the language. This means that different aspects of the target language are introduced to students (a number of whom perhaps for the first time) and the language is explored at a less complex level, which is also reflected in the lower difficulty of the HSC exam. In the case of Chinese Beginners, an example is the maximum word limit for sections that require a response in Chinese, being 150 characters.

On the other hand, a Continuers language course assumes that the student has more significant exposure to the different aspects of the language. Because of this, they are designed to expand the students' existing knowledge of the language, which means that the language is explored at a more complex level. This is also reflected in the higher difficulty of the HSC exam. Using the same example in the case of Chinese Continuers, the maximum word limit for sections that require a response in Chinese increases to 250 characters.

Based on this information, your post as well as the difficulty of the Chinese language, it seems that Chinese Beginners would be the subject that you should take (assuming that you are eligible to take it). This is because your current knowledge of Chinese seems appropriate to study the language at this level, potentially resulting in a more manageable workload and giving you a better chance of performing favourably.

I hope this helps! :D

moonsuyoung

HSC
probably beginners! But talk to your language teacher about it tho!

moonsuyoung

HSC
what if there is no language teacher D:
or you could try visit your careers teacher!! I was in the same situation as you but with Korean but I ended up choosing beginners cause you are competing against people who have studied the language in year 9 or 10 and people who have studied the language in Saturday school, etc.

...xD

HSC
im currently in year 10 and have a Chinese background speaking chinese regularly though not fluently also not being able to read or write in chinese i was wondering which one i should do for the hsc considering the difficultly level of learning the characters ect
You could try continuers, but it will be quite hard. The people in my class that are doing well have either went to saturday school before or have done chinese since Year 7 as an elective.

gmenoza

HSC
would i still be able to do continuers even though i havent learned chinese during highschool though have been speaking it everyday my whole life?

...xD

HSC
would i still be able to do continuers even though i havent learned chinese during highschool though have been speaking it everyday my whole life?
I mean I have friends who only started chinese in year 11, talk with your teacher/ career's adviser tho depends on their attitude

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)