Should I drop Extension 2 (1 Viewer)

Howdy123

HSC
Hi All,
I'm an accelerated student for Maths Extension 1 who did the HSC last year. I got a 47/50 for Extension 1 and 97/100 for Advanced. I'm now doing Maths Extension 2 but after the first assessment task, I'm not sure if I should continue doing it. I'm currently ranked 7th(last) and I got 30 percent lower than the highest mark. Should I drop the subject? Mathematics Extension 2 is hard and it takes a fair amount of time. What should I do? Advice would be great.
God bless,

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Congratulations on your results! There are a number of factors that you may wish to consider which can allow you to make an informed decision. First, given that you have achieved outstanding results in both Mathematics Advanced and Mathematics Extension 1, both subjects will make a positive contribution to your ATAR. Based on this, keeping Mathematics Extension 2 should be considered if you strongly believe that you can perform at a level that matches the contribution made by Mathematics Advanced (since it would no longer count towards your ATAR if you keep Mathematics Extension 2). Your result and rank do not seem promising. With that being said, you can probably take additional time to determine whether you can improve your performance in subsequent assessment tasks/exams before making a final decision. However, whether it is worth doing so is uncertain, especially since you mentioned that you spend quite a bit of time studying for this subject. Here, you should also keep your other subjects in mind, as you will need to also perform well in those in order to maximise your ATAR.

Second, you should consider whether you need the knowledge gained from Mathematics Extension 2 beyond the HSC. For example, do you intend to study a university degree where it is recommended that students take Mathematics Extension 2 for their HSC? If not, then perhaps keeping this subject is not justified, and you are probably better off relying on your result in Mathematics Advanced and allocating the additional study time towards the rest of your subjects.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)