subject selection for yr 11 and 12 HELP!! (1 Viewer)

HSC
im going into year 11 for 2025 and the school I want to go to requires me to choose my subjects right now. i want to pursue medicine, but if not i want to try and do something in further physics or maybe engineering? can someone recommend the best subjects to take for the things that i want to do. im pretty hardworking and i think i can achieve a good enough atar rank to get into atleast something i want?? but im really confused at which are the best subjects to take for me?

currently ive chosen physics, math adv, math ex1, english adv, and eng ex1, but im not sure what else i should take and i think i might not do eng ex1, since english isnt my first language and im not so good at it.

can someone please give me recommendation for what i should take and maybe the benefits? any information will help!! thankyou!!

WeiWeiMan

HSC
i guess chem/bio might be good for medicine
I don’t think many people going into med take bio for that reason
Chemistry on the other hand seems to be a prerequisite or at least good to know at some universities
both or just one of them? can it help in engineering?
Scales pretty well
Personally I would’ve thought physics + mx2 would help with engineering more

HSC
Mx1 and mx2 are each 2 units if you take mx2
If you take only mx1 and advanced, mx1 is 1 unit
oh i see thankyou!! so do you think the asian 5 subjects will be good for my career path? and should i take bio in yr11 and then just drop it?

WeiWeiMan

HSC
oh i see thankyou!! so do you think the asian 5 subjects will be good for my career path? and should i take bio in yr11 and then just drop it?
Do what you enjoy
I think physics is a more interesting and enjoyable subject than biology but not everyone shares the same sentiment

scienceready

HSC
I'm a doctor, so I will give my 2C on subject selection in regards to medicine:
  • The biology syllabus does help with medicine, but offers very small advantage once you start medicine because the content covered in HSC biology is very limited compared to what you will learn in medicine
  • HSC physics course will definitely provide you with the foundational knowledge for engineering, not as helpful for medicine
  • At the end of the day, choose the subject you enjoy more; the difference in scaling and contribution to ATAR will be negligible if you enjoy one subject much more than the other
  • In my opinion, chemistry/physics will teach you how to think logically - a skill that's quite important in STEM fields
  • Use year 11 to decide how many units of study is suitable for you; this is the year to find your ideal study and time management habits. I personally advocate for the least number of units i.e. 10 units – to make time management across the HSC subjects as easy as possible for yourself. Having extracurriculars and doing things outside studying in Year 11 & 12 is crucial to prevent burning out.
Here are some helpful articles by us:

HSC
I'm a doctor, so I will give my 2C on subject selection in regards to medicine:
  • The biology syllabus does help with medicine, but offers very small advantage once you start medicine because the content covered in HSC biology is very limited compared to what you will learn in medicine
  • HSC physics course will definitely provide you with the foundational knowledge for engineering, not as helpful for medicine
  • At the end of the day, choose the subject you enjoy more; the difference in scaling and contribution to ATAR will be negligible if you enjoy one subject much more than the other
  • In my opinion, chemistry/physics will teach you how to think logically - a skill that's quite important in STEM fields
  • Use year 11 to decide how many units of study is suitable for you; this is the year to find your ideal study and time management habits. I personally advocate for the least number of units i.e. 10 units – to make time management across the HSC subjects as easy as possible for yourself. Having extracurriculars and doing things outside studying in Year 11 & 12 is crucial to prevent burning out.
Here are some helpful articles by us:
thanks, if you dont mind me asking, what atar rank did you achieve, what subjects did you take? also how were your study habits?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)