Swearing in Extension 2 Work. (1 Viewer)

albeitunique

HSC
In my short story, I have an intense murder scene where the characters abuse each other.
I thought it was fair enough, you know, if you're getting murdered, you're probably not going to say, "Oh dear, I'm getting stabbed."
What do you think? Some people say swearing is okay as long as it's relevant to the situation, others say to avoid at all costs.
I really don't think the intensity and emotion would be the same without the swearing.

Aliyas

HSC
A few people in my class have asked the teacher about swearing. She said it was okay as long as it wasn't overdone - like 'fuck' or 'shit' in every paragraph. If there's a bit in that one scene I think it would be fine - just document it in your journal and maybe write about it in the RS.

And ask your teacher just to be on the safe side ;)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Its perfectly fine if it fits the scene and tone of the piece naturally and does not sound tacky and excessive

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
It's fine, as long as you can justify it. Don't do it just for the shock value because markers have been there, read that.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well if your character is angry, would you prefer the character say "Fuck you" or "Damn you"

Unless your story is set in like... 18th century England, we'd prefer the former.

So it's all about tone and whether it fits. If it fits, do it.

animerocker

HSC
It's perfectly appropriate if the character is in dire need to say it in their respective situation. My major work has alot swearing in the most appropriate places and situation

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It would also depend on the characters. Some characters would swear but others woudn't - so does the swearing in the circumstances suit the character you have created? e.g. if you were to base you character on me for instance swearing would be out of character as it simply isn't something I do but for other people it is part of their everyday language and so it would fit the character. If I was being stabbed I still don't think I would swear - scream yes but swear no. So think about the character - don't just make them swear for the sake of it but think through what sort of language they use all the time - is swearing something that is natural for them to use, because if it isn't natural then even when being stabbed it wouldn't be something they would say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)