timeframe for english essay (1 Viewer)

HSC
i was wondering what a reasonable time to spend on the english essay is. 2 weeks leading up to the exam, i had a plan to catch up on a multitude of subjects but ended up spending basically the entire 2 weeks on english (with a bit of infrequent procrastination and studying other subjects). is it better to just not pay attention in class, write a bunch of drafts and just get your teacher to mark them instead since as you write, you're bound to understand the content anyway? :oldbiggrin: is english advanced meant to be the hardest/most time consuming to perfect HSC subject?????

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
i was wondering what a reasonable time to spend on the english essay is. 2 weeks leading up to the exam, i had a plan to catch up on a multitude of subjects but ended up spending basically the entire 2 weeks on english (with a bit of infrequent procrastination and studying other subjects). is it better to just not pay attention in class, write a bunch of drafts and just get your teacher to mark them instead since as you write, you're bound to understand the content anyway? :oldbiggrin: is english advanced meant to be the hardest/most time consuming to perfect HSC subject?????
if your teacher is good - pay attention in class. they often tell you the kind of ideas they want to see in the exam, how to write it the way you want it etc - stuff that can maximise your marks. in my case, your teachers often have some really sophisticated, insightful and advanced ideas you wouldn't find on a litcharts/sparknotes. i found that even doing the classwork helped a ton with analysing stuff and having good/unique quotes with effective techniques and writing out my drafts and made writing the essay easier so i could just focus on the writing style and how i expressed my ideas with my drafts. you're right in that you should keep on drafting weeks before the exam and that you're bound to learn more of the content as you get feedback (i say like 3-4 weeks before your exam you start drafting)

english advanced shouldn't be the most time-consuming to perfect but like you i spent the most time on it (not to the detriment of my other subjects but i did spent the most time on it because i was passionate about english) and i found putting just that extra effort into english was really really worth it (don't neglect your other subjects just for 2 units though). i don't know about hardest because that's subjective (you'll find a lot of stem kids here who found/find english the hardest but i found it to be the easiest subject) but it's not that hard to land yourself in the low band 6 range if you put in the effort and you have a decent rank

xoNat

don't worry, be happy
HSC
if your teacher is good - pay attention in class. they often tell you the kind of ideas they want to see in the exam, how to write it the way you want it etc - stuff that can maximise your marks. in my case, your teachers often have some really sophisticated, insightful and advanced ideas you wouldn't find on a litcharts/sparknotes. i found that even doing the classwork helped a ton with analysing stuff and having good/unique quotes with effective techniques and writing out my drafts and made writing the essay easier so i could just focus on the writing style and how i expressed my ideas with my drafts. you're right in that you should keep on drafting weeks before the exam and that you're bound to learn more of the content as you get feedback (i say like 3-4 weeks before your exam you start drafting)

english advanced shouldn't be the most time-consuming to perfect but like you i spent the most time on it (not to the detriment of my other subjects but i did spent the most time on it because i was passionate about english) and i found putting just that extra effort into english was really really worth it (don't neglect your other subjects just for 2 units though). i don't know about hardest because that's subjective (you'll find a lot of stem kids here who found/find english the hardest but i found it to be the easiest subject) but it's not that hard to land yourself in the low band 6 range if you put in the effort and you have a decent rank
What if your teacher isn't good and you barely get opportunities for writing/marked feedback, I do tutoring but I'm certainly not using my class time effectively which sucks
I've gotten more sophisticated ideas about texts from my classmates and parents :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)