UNSW Actuary vs Commerce Co-op? (1 Viewer)

idkkdi

HSC
both are good
keep in mind actuarial co-op is the hardest co-op to get into since they have such a large candidature and only around 10 positions each year.
last year i made it to interview which already knocked out 80% of people, and there was still around 60-80 people left for the interview.
you dont wanna put all ur effort into actuary, just to not get co-op.
on your co-op application i would focus equally on commerce and actuarial / not make it too niche, so that you hopefully can get an interview for both degrees.
pretty sure actl coop is shit placements compared to the fin&banking one which places u into actual front office BB IB
do you do co-op btw?
nope
Is the finance co op the comm honour one?
no idea what the old fin&banking one changed into

k1ngcart1

HSC
can't seem to find the finance coop on unsw; its uac code is the same as comm honours?

k1ngcart1

HSC
pretty sure actl coop is shit placements compared to the fin&banking one which places u into actual front office BB IB

nope

no idea what the old fin&banking one changed into
thinking of fin co-op now this thread has been useful

k1ngcart1

HSC
can't seem to find the finance coop on unsw; its uac code is the same as comm honours?
can anyone find it or is it just that lmao

Armon

HSC
Actl Co-op is the only time you should ever do actl. This country has approx 1000 actuaries graduating each year yet there are only approx 3000 jobs in total in the country; the vast majority of people who do actl never end up working in the field since its practically impossible unless you get your foot in the door through something like Co-op. Commerce is less competitive and more versatile imo.

temporarylol

HSC
Uni Grad
Actl Co-op is the only time you should ever do actl. This country has approx 1000 actuaries graduating each year yet there are only approx 3000 jobs in total in the country;
that sounds like a good thing?? 💀

k1ngcart1

HSC
Actl Co-op is the only time you should ever do actl. This country has approx 1000 actuaries graduating each year yet there are only approx 3000 jobs in total in the country; the vast majority of people who do actl never end up working in the field since its practically impossible unless you get your foot in the door through something like Co-op. Commerce is less competitive and more versatile imo.
Finance > commerce > actuarial in terms of co-op? Neutral in pretty much all but slight distaste for normal commerce based from yr10 💀

liamkk112

HSC
that sounds like a good thing?? 💀
it’s not, it means that after 3 years worth of graduates there’s no more jobs left
also according to the government there are actually 1800 jobs lol
that being said there are jobs in consulting u can get from an acturial degree that aren’t specifically “actuary” but if u want to be an actuary it can be tough

funnytomato

HSC
With actuarial co-op do you actually want to stay in the traditional insurance pricing area and get qualified as FIAA?

Or is consulting or IB more preferred? If that is the case I don't think you necessarily have to take an actuarial degree.

k1ngcart1

HSC
With actuarial co-op do you actually want to stay in the traditional insurance pricing area and get qualified as FIAA?

Or is consulting or IB more preferred? If that is the case I don't think you necessarily have to take an actuarial degree.
Yeah I was leaning towards the second path tbh. Any links to UNSW finance co-op?

pablo34

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
i was just curious about the outcomes of the actuary and commerce co-op programs at unsw. currently leading towards applying to actuarial co-op but I do like the commerce sponsors better and so how does each have its advantages and disadvantages? also on a side note, would you argue the actuarial co-op is better than actuarial + compsci in terms of future work placements and the overall gist of the program?

Big cheers.
Apply for all, and yes Comp Sci is oversaturated so if you get into actuarial stick with it... Also, you would struggle doing a double degree in actuarial and comp sci, unless you have no social life or you're a genius...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)