UTS VS OTHER UNIS - SOCIAL LIFE AND OVERALL EXPERIENCE question (1 Viewer)

starstep

HSC
Hi there, I'm currently a year 12 student and I've just received an early entry conditional offer from UTS for Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of International studies. This was initially the course I wanted to take or otherwise similar courses at other Unis e.g. Bachelor of Commerce (+ something for double agree) with major in international business or International Commerce at UNSW (which I really think is unlikely for me to get in!). I was looking into HR careers pathway after graduating but obviously this could change.

I am planning to just accept the UTS offer for now. However I have done some research and have personally heard some about the social prospects at UTS, which generally most people who've I heard said that social life is quite limited...(possibly could be due to lack of societies and campus space?) however there were few that said it was an ok-good experience.

and for now I am kind of leaning into UTS because I did get an early entry offer and it was my initial ideal uni + course preference, however I am rethinking whether I should really look into other unis e.g. Macquarie and possibly UNSW.

Open day experiences and first impressions:
however when I attended the open day for UTS I initially really liked their clean environment, modern architecture and overall learning space. however since it is almost like a corporate kind of setting which now I can see how that would maybe limitate the chances of meeting people or forming friendships as many student could possibly just leave the building and go out into the city...

I also did like the Macquarie campus (which social life is also good and its also apparently very good for business school as well) but UTS (at the time before considering bout social life) intrigued me more. And as for UNSW I had quite an uncomfortable first impression as I personally felt like it looked abit dull and chaotic at the same time however social life is apparently better good, (however the Atar requirement is quite high).

questions:
So I would really love to know honest opinions (or opinions of those you have heard about) and have a realistic and better POV of UTS, especially about the social prospects and student life as I really want to have that true 'fun experience' of being a university student (but mostly just not miss out on anything I guess).

if possible I would also like to know about the reputation of UTS and possibly the other uni's specifically for business school.

Thank you if you have actually read up to here! and also thanks in advanced if you do give a reply, I'd really appreciate that!

Last edited:

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
most-all unis in nsw at least is commuter, not many stay on campus. So if you're looking for what you see/hear about in America, you're out of luck. Also for the rep of UTS business school, it is quite good amongst the profession from what I can gather and it does have some good industry connections as well. In terms of the social life, I think it ultimately depends on how involved you want to get, but that doesn't seem like a problem to you. I don't go to UTS so I can't give you the full expose, but I have heard good things about it from what I have experienced personally in the business/law society. Should be something for you

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Hi there, I'm currently a year 12 student and I've just received an early entry conditional offer from UTS for Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of International studies. This was initially the course I wanted to take or otherwise similar courses at other Unis e.g. Bachelor of Commerce (+ something for double agree) with major in international business or International Commerce at UNSW (which I really think is unlikely for me to get in!). I was looking into HR careers pathway after graduating but obviously this could change.

I am planning to just accept the UTS offer for now. However I have done some research and have personally heard some about the social prospects at UTS, which generally most people who've I heard said that social life is quite limited...(possibly could be due to lack of societies and campus space?) however there were few that said it was an ok-good experience.

and for now I am kind of leaning into UTS because I did get an early entry offer and it was my initial ideal uni + course preference, however I am rethinking whether I should really look into other unis e.g. Macquarie and possibly UNSW.

Open day experiences and first impressions:
however when I attended the open day for UTS I initially really liked their clean environment, modern architecture and overall learning space. however since it is almost like a corporate kind of setting which now I can see how that would maybe limitate the chances of meeting people or forming friendships as many student could possibly just leave the building and go out into the city...

I also did like the Macquarie campus (which social life is also good and its also apparently very good for business school as well) but UTS (at the time before considering bout social life) intrigued me more. And as for UNSW I had quite an uncomfortable first impression as I personally felt like it looked abit dull and chaotic at the same time however social life is apparently better good, (however the Atar requirement is quite high).

questions:
So I would really love to know honest opinions (or opinions of those you have heard about) and have a realistic and better POV of UTS, especially about the social prospects and student life as I really want to have that true 'fun experience' of being a university student.

if possible I would also like to know about the reputation of UTS and possibly the other uni's specifically for business school.

Thank you if you have actually read up to here! and also thanks in advanced if you do give a reply, I'd really appreciate that!
@dav53521 this is you <3

dav53521

HSC
I mean UTS life is kinda how you make it because if you do social activities such as joining societies and participating in events the social life at UTS can be pretty good. However, if you just attend tutorials/lectures and then just leave the social life at UTS will be a bit dull although UTS does love their group assignments so you can meet new people through those although imo it depends on the quality of your group members.

I personally don't have a full grasp on UTS social life as I was the type to just go to my classes and then just leave and I have recently gone down to cut back on my subjects due to work, but from what I can see there is definitely social aspects as I've seen people hanging out at places such as the underground and alumni green.

starstep

HSC
@mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa @dav53521

Thank you guys so much for the advice for both of my concerns, it honestly is very helpful and helped get a realistic understanding of uni life! I guess my main concern was if I would miss out on any social experiences and how important that is especially for networking as well as I want to get the best experience I can and make use of my time at uni. So from the sounds of it, I will probably not miss out on anything as long as I do volunteering and join societies that interest me!

This really took so much pressure off me for the social aspects of uni so I can focus on greater and more important opportunities like my studies etc.

HUGE THANKS AGAIN!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)