What to expect yr11-12 eco (1 Viewer)

Scryne

HSC
In yr 10 going to 11 and wondering what to expect in economics. I kind of picked it as a “filler” subject since I didn’t know what else to pick and it sounded interesting. All I know is that there’s a lot of essay writing which I’m not very good at.

conjc

HSC
I found economics really enjoyable (still doing it in year 12). There are definitely some topics that feel dryer than others (I didn't enjoy unemployment or labour force as a whole of year 11) but some of the topics are really interesting.

You'll likely enjoy it if you like seeing how and why something happens and following the effect it has on Australia and individuals.

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
The big diff between eco and the other subjects is instead of adjusting an essay u already know, in eco u have to write a completely new essay on the spot. For eco study u can’t just study the concepts but u also need to have an example to attach to each idea.

I don’t think being bad at essay writing would be much of a hinderance anyway cuz the eco essay writing is so much more ‘straight-to-the-point’ than other subjects. Like for each para the markers literally just want a concept, an example and that’s it. English style waffling will actually lose u marks.

So if u just put the effort in to read the ABC finance column every now and again to get examples, as well as memorise theory it shouldn’t be too bad. It’s not a subject u can bluff ur way thru but not one that requires u to be a master of eloquence.

HSC
As someone who has done relatively well in Eco in Year 11 and HSC, senior Economics is one of the most enjoyable subjects.

For me it was the perfect balance of content (which rewards effort), intuition, and finding real life examples that are occurring right now.
Beyond being a subject, it really opens you world view. It really does. It make you understand why petrol prices are so high right now, why mortgages are going up, how the cash rate affects you, and can really help shape your personal finances and investments in the future.

Imo, I always loved subjects that rewarded effort and I was: I put in a lot of effort andDuxed eco in yr11 and 12 and scored 96 in Eco in the HSC.

it has also helped me secure internships.

If you want, I can also give my year 11 and 12 economics to you for a discounted price but really, eco is great

conjc

HSC
The big diff between eco and the other subjects is instead of adjusting an essay u already know, in eco u have to write a completely new essay on the spot. For eco study u can’t just study the concepts but u also need to have an example to attach to each idea.

I don’t think being bad at essay writing would be much of a hinderance anyway cuz the eco essay writing is so much more ‘straight-to-the-point’ than other subjects. Like for each para the markers literally just want a concept, an example and that’s it. English style waffling will actually lose u marks.

So if u just put the effort in to read the ABC finance column every now and again to get examples, as well as memorise theory it shouldn’t be too bad. It’s not a subject u can bluff ur way thru but not one that requires u to be a master of eloquence.
I definitely second the essay part. My teacher gave us two-15 mark extended responses in our prelim and I wrote 4 pages for one and three for the other. Got 13/15 and 14/15 just by aiming for key points and keeping it on track

Scryne

HSC

Is it by any means a difficult subject (concepts which aren’t the easiest to understand and the writing)?

Chiprr

HSC
Is it by any means a difficult subject (concepts which aren’t the easiest to understand and the writing)?
Y11 eco wasn't too bad and it was mostly about developing skills needed for economics in my mind. My teacher spent more time on certain topics that would be covered again in year 12 like unemployment so we had a better understanding earlier.

The hardest thing for me was learning how to make good logic chains to discuss the flow on effect of something changing. E.g. my budget assessment in year 11 spoke about the $4 billion boost to Medicare which leads to (>) increase in access to healthcare > healthier society > less sick days and happier people > higher productive capacity> potential increase in GDP.

The other hard part is trying to not lose marks on short response or extended response because you need to hit quite specific terms or points to get full marks which can be quite difficult.

hubin

HSC
Approach Eco with an open mind. There are so many different answers for short response questions for instance, and once you realise that, it becomes a little more engaging. I was consistently thinking " oh I didn't think about that link to national defence/security (for instance on the topic of reasons for protection)" when I read my friends answers. Now of course, there are obvious better answers, but main message is that eco is a very broad indefinite subject that is still being explored and mastered by economists today, so take heart in knowing that yes essays are a big component, but there is actually so much to talk about that they can't penalise you for. (obviously, need to back up your statements strongly tho)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)