What's private english tutoring like? (Year 11-12 adv) (1 Viewer)

reikirn

HSC
I'm nearing the end of year 11 and I think if there is anything that would tank my atar it's english adv. My marks at school are decent and A level but English is still my worst subject and I want to push further with it. I haven't had a private tutor since I was in like year 5 and have just been attending centres in high school. I've looked around different sites and it seems promising.

Here's my questions. please answer if you are an English tutor or have attended private english tutoring. Sorry if they seem a bit foolish

- Every tutor has a different style but what do they usually during each lesson overall?
- how long is each lesson?
- is there a lot of homework?
- what sets a private tutor apart from centres in what they do?

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
I'm nearing the end of year 11 and I think if there is anything that would tank my atar it's english adv. My marks at school are decent and A level but English is still my worst subject and I want to push further with it. I haven't had a private tutor since I was in like year 5 and have just been attending centres in high school. I've looked around different sites and it seems promising.

Here's my questions. please answer if you are an English tutor or have attended private english tutoring. Sorry if they seem a bit foolish

- Every tutor has a different style but what do they usually during each lesson overall?
tutors are def more catered to you, you can directly ask them what you want to work on and they will go through it with you. obviously for english tutors most people use them as an extra outlet for essay writing and help with essays, so there's that too (not sure if centres offer the same thing)

Ksalu

>:))
HSC

I used to do private tutoring from 7-10

1) in each lesson they either help you with an upcoming assessment or help you with a specific component of english that you struggled with. For example, I struggled a lot with creative writing and my tutor helped me improve by pointing out what I can do better
2) It depends. I find 1 hour works best
3) there is usually not a lot of homework
4) centre tutoring is basically school where they teach the text, private tutoring is more personalised and helps you with components of the exam such as essays, discursive, creative writing and etc

howcanibesmarter

HSC
I did/am currently doing private tutoring for yr11/12
1) They ususally go through what you want help with, whether thats essays for assessment tasks or clafication for texts/films that you are currently studying. My tutor won't write analysis for you, but he will go through it and give you the rough idea and u just take down some notes which you can use to shape your analysis.
2) 1 hour lesson
3) The homework is just doing what you want to get checked next lesson. I.e. if you want your draft essay thats due in 2wks to be checked, then you might wanna do that. My tutor doesn't give me any, it just depends on what I want to work on. Could be short answers, etc. Some weeks theres none if I have other tests coming up. Lessons are also flexible, I can cancel the lesson anytime/do an extra lesson in holidays if I feel like I'm behind.
4) Focuses 100% on you. Different schools may have different writing styles, i.e. my school likes longer sentences with more analysis which means less quotes, whereas schools like ruse are known for their succinct, short sentences with a lot of quotes. They also teach based on ur pace, based on your questions for areas of a text that you might not understand.

I honestly think english is a better subject to do private than subjects like maths.

Hope that helps.

hafsah_

HSC
Hello,
I've been wanting to do Adv Eng tutoring since I started y11 but I'm not sure where to get it done. Ik there are several reputable places such as Delta, JP English, Art of Smart, Concept Edu, Tutesmart, Matrix Edu, etc. but I'm not sure which places are worth the money. Can you guys please lmk where you get your tutoring done, if that's fine with you and the company or person, also, how effective do you think it is than just being in a class with a teacher and when did you begin to see results?

Thank you so muchhh

moonsuyoung

HSC
Hello,
I've been wanting to do Adv Eng tutoring since I started y11 but I'm not sure where to get it done. Ik there are several reputable places such as Delta, JP English, Art of Smart, Concept Edu, Tutesmart, Matrix Edu, etc. but I'm not sure which places are worth the money. Can you guys please lmk where you get your tutoring done, if that's fine with you and the company or person, also, how effective do you think it is than just being in a class with a teacher and when did you begin to see results?

Thank you so muchhh
I heard Delta was pretty good BUT NOT MATRIX FOR ENG AT ALL COSTS

hafsah_

HSC
I guess Matrix is off the list because some people have said it's not worth it on BoS

Have you done tutoring with delta? Or do you do tutoring with anyone for English??

jonolad69

HSC
Hello,

Thank you so muchhh

Art of Smart and Matrix: Just garbage tutoring, I still don't know how they get students. Straight up no.

JP English: In Carlingford, commute may be shit. Private lessons are always booked out terms ahead lol so you're gonna have to end up doing group which can go up to 6/7 people. It's cheap but I wouldn't recommend group tutoring for english, it's ineffective and not worth your money. I would say one of the better centres though, their tutors are great

Concept: The tutors are all cracked, that's if you do 1:1 state rank tutoring though (150hr) You get 2 marking credits per term and they basically amend your whole assessment essay which is great and rewrite it.. Alot of resources aswell with hundreds of pages with context of the novel, exemplars, etc. But of course, comes down to whether you can afford it. This in my opinion is the best english centre as it's not as expensive as Delta, you have state rank tutors and the resources and support you get is great.

Delta: State rank tutors. Incredibly expensive but it is the #1 tutoring centre. If you're able to leverage the resources and support you get, you'll have no issue in improving your english. The only fault is just how expensive it is, that is really it lol...... but for good reason of course. But with how much you're paying and with the added expectation to do drafts/submit for feedback etc, you may completely prioritise english more and neglect your other subjects to maximise the value from the tuition. This can be an issue, I would argue delta is overkill

Also to add, why not just go to a staterank tutor on highschooltutors.com.au or tutorfinder? You can find great state rank tutors for WAY cheaper.

English tutoring will not instantly turn you into some state rank student, you really have to leverage the resources and put in a ton of work.

In summary, don't settle for group tutoring when it comes to English, it's a complete waste of money. However, if you do have that kind of money, Delta or Concept.

hafsah_

HSC
Hey, I was just wondering if you were talking from your own experience. Also, do you happen to know the prices for 1:1 at Concept and Delta??

Anyways, thank you sm for your advice!!!

s97127

HSC
Art of Smart and Matrix: Just garbage tutoring, I still don't know how they get students. Straight up no.

JP English: In Carlingford, commute may be shit. Private lessons are always booked out terms ahead lol so you're gonna have to end up doing group which can go up to 6/7 people. It's cheap but I wouldn't recommend group tutoring for english, it's ineffective and not worth your money. I would say one of the better centres though, their tutors are great

Concept: The tutors are all cracked, that's if you do 1:1 state rank tutoring though (150hr) You get 2 marking credits per term and they basically amend your whole assessment essay which is great and rewrite it.. Alot of resources aswell with hundreds of pages with context of the novel, exemplars, etc. But of course, comes down to whether you can afford it. This in my opinion is the best english centre as it's not as expensive as Delta, you have state rank tutors and the resources and support you get is great.

Delta: State rank tutors. Incredibly expensive but it is the #1 tutoring centre. If you're able to leverage the resources and support you get, you'll have no issue in improving your english. The only fault is just how expensive it is, that is really it lol...... but for good reason of course. But with how much you're paying and with the added expectation to do drafts/submit for feedback etc, you may completely prioritise english more and neglect your other subjects to maximise the value from the tuition. This can be an issue, I would argue delta is overkill

Also to add, why not just go to a staterank tutor on highschooltutors.com.au or tutorfinder? You can find great state rank tutors for WAY cheaper.

English tutoring will not instantly turn you into some state rank student, you really have to leverage the resources and put in a ton of work.

In summary, don't settle for group tutoring when it comes to English, it's a complete waste of money. However, if you do have that kind of money, Delta or Concept.
Concept has changed management and quite a few good state rank english tutors have left. It used to be for english only but not anymore.

jonolad69

HSC
Concept has changed management and quite a few good state rank english tutors have left. It used to be for english only but not anymore.
wait how recent was this? i had no idea.

it wouldn't be worth the money anymore?

s97127

HSC
wait how recent was this? i had no idea.

it wouldn't be worth the money anymore?
Chloe sold Concept English in Dec 2022 and the new owner has changed its name from Concept English to Concept Education. I still can see some state rank English tutors there.

hafsah_

HSC
Chloe sold Concept English in Dec 2022 and the new owner has changed its name from Concept English to Concept Education. I still can see some state rank English tutors there.

Would you say that it's still worth it? Or not as much anymore??

banigul@30

HSC

is matrix worth it for the other subjects?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)