Work Experience (1 Viewer)

MJRey

HSC
Hi all,
I'm not going to be considering work experience for another two years, but just wondering, what's out there? More specifically, what would be good work experience for a discipline like water/hydraulics/civil engineering?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The general premise is that any form of work experience relevant to your field of study that you can gain as a university student (other than for satisfying a work experience requirement for your degree) would be beneficial in terms of helping you start your career after you graduate. Once the time comes, you should seek internship opportunities and apply for internships that you believe would be suitable for you. Internships tend to be similar across different fields in that their purpose is to focus on the practical aspect of your field, therefore establishing a balance between your theoretical knowledge and the way in which it is actually used and applied in practice. Favourable academic performance can increase your chances of being selected for an internship (or similar work experience opportunity) and is something that you may wish to consider between now and the next two years.

While I did not study engineering myself, a friend of mine is currently studying civil engineering and is in his final year. Last year, he did a one-month virtual internship at a building company, where he was taught a range of engineering processes relevant to that company. This year, he worked as a student engineer for six months, during which he undertook a range of hands-on, engineering-related tasks.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)