Questions about the Dalyell Scholars program (1 Viewer)

rking24

HSC
Hey guys, I'm enrolled into Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) for 2019.

As i'm picking my subjects for next year, i realised that there is only 6 Dalyell credits that are business related, and to complete the program it requires 12 units to be completed. Does that mean I must take units from other faculties (such as art, engineering, science) in order to complete the program?

I'm beginning to think that the program isn't worthy of 12 credits (could be used for electives which i enjoy)

What do you guys think about the program? And is it worthy of completing?

jjuunnee

HSC
You can choose units from other faculties. In your degree you should still have spare units for electives as well. If there are units that you actually wanna do then do it but if you're not very interested in the program then there's no point. Pretty sure you can drop out of the program as well once you start uni

LivG

HSC
I'm a current Dalyell student. It's a pretty new program, so more units may come up in later years that interest you (you don't have to do them all in 2019). You can take one from another faculty though and this is a good way to explore other topics at a high(ish) level (for an intro course).

Whether Dalyell is worth doing at all is a separate question. For me it's worth it because it enables lab placements in second and third year (I'm in science) and really helps get your foot in the door for research. This is possible to do without Dalyell but it makes it easier. It is based on the TSP program which was exclusively science so I don't know if they've figured out how it applies to other faculties yet. I don't know if it offers equally good opportunities for commerce, but I know if it didn't offer them for science I wouldn't do it.

The students can be kind of arrogant (at least they were during first year) and the university sort of encourages this attitude a bit within the program (I'm hoping this changes this year, but I doubt it).

Hope that helps a bit!

sida1049

HSC
The students can be kind of arrogant (at least they were during first year) and the university sort of encourages this attitude a bit within the program (I'm hoping this changes this year, but I doubt it).
Huh, that's interesting. I'm a TSP student, and from my experience so far, other TSP students are chill and very casual about the whole thing. I'm hoping attitudes between the programs aren't too different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)