Does anyone use Math in Focus 3U? (1 Viewer)

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
100% with BLIT, Cambridge has much harder questions that incorporate multiple topics. MiF is way to isolated in exercises.

HeroWise

HSC
I use it to grasp the concept, and later move forward to Cambridge or do Harder questions

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Maths in Focus is a very widely-adopted textbook. Why is this the case when so many here on Bored have dismissed it as being light weight?

I think for the majority of students, it is less intimidating than, say, Cambridge. It seems to make the maths more manageable. You can say it provides a gentle but superficial introduction to the subject. But to do well, you need more in-depth and challenging material.

Last edited:

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
I actually used 'Maths in Focus' quite a fair bit for 3U.

I found it quite helpful for grasping a concept for the first time - the written explanations were relatively simple and straightforward and the exercises were able to consolidate the information within the text.

However, as many have said, I wouldn't recommend having MIF as your sole textbook. Personally, I used a combination of 'Maths in Focus', 'New Senior Mathematics (Fitzpatrick)' and 'Cambridge'.

I usually started with MIF, followed by doing some harder exercises in the Fitzpatrick book and then when I was comfortable enough, I did some questions in the Cambridge book. It also may be worth reading some of the explanations on the Cambridge or Fitzpatrick books as they go more in-depth than MIF and sometimes provide some useful tips.

Of course, once you have understood the concepts, the best way to practice and improve would be by doing past HSC and/or trial questions (in my opinion).

RedThread

HSC
Math in Focus is very good at explaining new concepts – very easy for beginners or people who have difficulty understanding something. However, the exercises in them are too easy, and don't challenge you enough. If you can do all the questions in Math in Focus with ease, that's good, and that'll get you far in exams.

Cambridge 3U is really an extension of the extension 1. It'll challenge you, that's for sure.

Roy G Biv

HSC
N/A
Maths in Focus is a great textbook. The main complaint people have about it is that the questions in the textbook are too easy.

That is a legitimate complaint. But if you're only doing textbook questions, you're studying wrong anyway. You're supposed to be doing exam-style questions from past papers.

If you do that, MiF is fine. Especially as the MiF explanations and worked solutions are far, FAR superior to the Cambridge textbook (imo), from a literacy and self-teaching perspective.

darkk_blu

HSC
Maths is focus 3U really is only “textbook” questions especially it’s simple harmonic and projectile motion exercises

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't really understand, has the 2018 Cambridge Yr 11 math 3u textbook not been released yet? This is important as the syllabus has changed this year. https://www.cambridge.edu.au/educat...ve-textbook-powered-by-HOTmaths/#.WwPmslOFPfa shows it as "forthcoming" however isn't it a little too late in the year to release it? If someone could explain how it works that would be great :)
http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.a...b03YUo5l14Zx7wWVWbyPa34bdfq01bkvb34APT2o4A!!/

The NESA Board has decided to postpone implementation of the new HSC calculus-based maths syllabuses until 2019, to ensure the syllabuses are of the highest quality

Roy G Biv

HSC
N/A
cambridge textbook will be released - well, uncorrected proof copy for inspections etc - around august i think.

same authors, new topics added. i've got the table of contents somewhere, cbf finding it. they released it so late because bill pender (and lots of other nsw maths teachers) were hoping to get last minute changes and to stop the change in the syllabus as much as possible.

as for maths in focus - it's by far and away the most widely adopted textbook. it's fine to use - the guys on these forums are far too elitist. it's arguable that cambridge textbooks are too hard in many cases, with questions that will never appear in the HSC. fact: it isn't widely adopted by schools. fact: the new cambridge textbook is adding in a LOT more level 1 questions to make it more approachable and relevant, in recognition of the previously stated fact. fact: even if you use the cambridge textbook, you'll be well advised to get practise with past papers anyway.

advice: maths in focus is fine to use if your school is using it. just make sure you do heaps of past paper questions - which you should be doing anyway. use the textbook to learn the concept, then practise applying it using past papers. you can use any textbook you like - the maths in focus textbook isn't that poor, and it's worked examples are the best out of any of the textbooks by far and away - with the exception of, perhaps, the coroneos ones.

and i'm done being an opinionated pig :) come @ me :) :) :)

btw; it fascinates me how much this topic comes up. we should just sticky a generic moderator post summarising the general feeling of the forum. heh. and i get sucked in every time too lel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)