Polyomials question (1 Viewer)

Aviator_13

HSC
Need help with this polynomials question. Ive attached a photo to this post (dont really know how to attach it properly but i think this works).

If you could explain your thought process and your steps it would be greatly appreciated.

Polynomials.PNG

jathu123

HSC

Moderator note: LaTeX input has been adjusted to make the equation valid and visible.

Last edited by a moderator:

kkk579

hello
HSC
This requires polynomial identities which is a 3U topic I have not cover from du tuition
I think main thing we're looking for here is p(x) and everything else is smooth sailing
Ohh okay ic then is anyone else able to solve it?
I think i haven’t learnt it either

kkk579

hello
HSC
@kkk579 I just fixed the LaTeX input in the solution provided by the user in the thread that you were talking about. The solution is as follows:

Fun fact: this question appeared in the Cambridge Mathematics Extension 1 year 11 textbook.

Also, please avoid further derailing this thread. If you wish to discuss maths questions, feel free to post in the maths forums :)
Okay thank you, i also got the same answer of 8

kkk579

hello
HSC
@kkk579 I just fixed the LaTeX input in the solution provided by the user in the thread that you were talking about. The solution is as follows:

Fun fact: this question appeared in the Cambridge Mathematics Extension 1 year 11 textbook.

Also, please avoid further derailing this thread. If you guys wish to discuss maths questions, feel free to post in the maths forums. :)
But for the p(-x) part, isn’t q(x) just left like that, why would you replace x with -x because q(x) is the quotient not the actual equation if u get what i mean

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
But for the p(-x) part, isn’t q(x) just left like that, why would you replace x with -x because q(x) is the quotient not the actual equation if u get what i mean
I think its bc either it would cancel out e.g: if Q(x)=x, Q(-x)=-x----> Q(x)+Q(-x)=x-x=0 (cancels out)

Hence, then it would be (x^2-5)(0)+8=8

kkk579

hello
HSC
when it says p(-x)=____Q(-x)_____
i thought that you would only sub -x into β€˜x^2-5’and β€˜x’

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)