Vacation Employment for Science Students (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi everyone.

For those doing a science degree and have done any past or current vacation employment, please share your experience as I'am curious to know about this.

1) How did you apply for the vacation employment?

2) When did you do the vacation job, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th year? etc

3) What did you do during your vacation employment?

4) How much did you get paid?

5) What advice can you give to other science students who are looking to do a vacation job in the future?

Any serious replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hi everyone.

For those doing a science degree and have done any past or current vacation employment, please share your experience as I'am curious to know about this.

1) How did you apply for the vacation employment?
I applied during August and September for a number of Summer Research Scholarships offered by my own or other Universities. It might be too late to apply for these now.

2) When did you do the vacation job, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th year? etc
I did a Summer Research Scholarship a the end of 2nd year, then again at the end of 3rd year. Then I got a research assistant job at the end of 4th year before I started a PhD.

3) What did you do during your vacation employment?
A Summer Scholarship usually lasts between 4-9 weeks and you spend this period of time in a lab learning new techniques and discover what "real research" is about. For example, at the end of my 2nd year, I investigated the role of magnetic particles on the differentiation of human embryonic stem cells. I learned how to do RT-PCR, gel electrophoresis, DNA extraction, immunofluorescent staining, immunohistochemistry, and animal handling.

4) How much did you get paid?
Depends on the university that offers such summer scholarship. They are usually between $1500-3000.

5) What advice can you give to other science students who are looking to do a vacation job in the future?
Do some reserch and see which universities offer summer research scholarships in your scientific discipline and where you want to do it. Check the available projects and supervisors. Contact them EARLY (May and June) because they are very competitive. And Good luck!

It's a really worthwhile thing is do, not only to gain some experience but to really find out whether a research career is for you or not. I highly recommend it.

HSC
I applied during August and September for a number of Summer Research Scholarships offered by my own or other Universities. It might be too late to apply for these now.

I did a Summer Research Scholarship a the end of 2nd year, then again at the end of 3rd year. Then I got a research assistant job at the end of 4th year before I started a PhD.

A Summer Scholarship usually lasts between 4-9 weeks and you spend this period of time in a lab learning new techniques and discover what "real research" is about. For example, at the end of my 2nd year, I investigated the role of magnetic particles on the differentiation of human embryonic stem cells. I learned how to do RT-PCR, gel electrophoresis, DNA extraction, immunofluorescent staining, immunohistochemistry, and animal handling.

Depends on the university that offers such summer scholarship. They are usually between $1500-3000.

Do some reserch and see which universities offer summer research scholarships in your scientific discipline and where you want to do it. Check the available projects and supervisors. Contact them EARLY (May and June) because they are very competitive. And Good luck!

It's a really worthwhile thing is do, not only to gain some experience but to really find out whether a research career is for you or not. I highly recommend it.

Hey thanks for the reply.

Yeah sounds like your vacation employment was pretty good.

Although I doubt I will be trying to look for research scholarship vacation jobs. I'm not really interested in research or getting a Phd.

I'm kinda more interested in vacation jobs tailored to related skills within the industry. Do you know anything about these types of vacation jobs?

Thanks for your input though, it was a good insight.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I'm kinda more interested in vacation jobs tailored to related skills within the industry. Do you know anything about these types of vacation jobs?
What area of science are you planning to pursue?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)