what happens if you fail one of your preliminary exams? (1 Viewer)

theycallmebob

HSC
so if I fail a prelim exam, after having satisfactorily completed all assessment tasks, will i be ok? or will i have to do year 11 again?

TorMental

HSC
Tbh, no one mentions year 11 after they enter year 12. (Except for bragging rights?)

Also : no one mentions year 12 after they enter uni (Except for bragging rights?)

In short, once you move forward, you don't really move back. Why would your school ask you to repeat year 11?

(Or if you're assuming that failing year 11 = repeat is generally not the case, but some schools are weird, hope yours isn't?)

enoilgam

HSC
Tbh, no one mentions year 11 after they enter year 12. (Except for bragging rights?)

Also : no one mentions year 12 after they enter uni (Except for bragging rights?)

In short, once you move forward, you don't really move back. Why would your school ask you to repeat year 11?

(Or if you're assuming that failing year 11 = repeat is generally not the case, but some schools are weird, hope yours isn't?)
100% True.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
The only thing that can stop you from progressing from Year 11 to Year 12 in a subject is if you get an N Award.

HSC
You just have to 'seriously attempt' all assessment tasks and you can go straight into Yr12.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
not at my school haha, you just have to miss an assessment

Missing one assessment task is NOT a criteria for an N award - you would get a warning and a chance to catch it up.

The BOS rules on this say you have to miss 50%+ of the assessment tasks - not one.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've had law firms ask students what their ATAR was. And this is students who have graduated from university.

But of course, it's generally for like the first job only. And it is rare.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
The BOS rules on this say you have to miss 50%+ of the assessment tasks - not one.
True for HSC courses, but I thought the inquiry was about Preliminary, where there is no 50% rule.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
True for HSC courses, but I thought the inquiry was about Preliminary, where there is no 50% rule.
Still applies as the school has to submit N awards to the BOS and students have the right to appeal that determination to the BOS.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Nothing. You move on to year 12. As long as it's considered attempted, it's okay.

mecramarathon

HSC
except for maths i thought the prelim was a total bludge

and kudos for the mention that no one really cares in uni what you got in year 12, its true

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)