BOS f@#king with our minds? (1 Viewer)

Studymates

HSC
are they trying to make us all feel depressed after each exam?

why can't they make the exams like the past years? i've done 2001-10 for all my subjects and these exams seriously screwed me up!
in reference to maths 3U/4U (especially 4U where they totally stuffed up the order of questions)..generally the questions go easy --> hard but in that exam i spent way too long on 1-5 only to realise 6/7 were very easy :(
English-they stuffed everyone up by putting the whole bloody paper on places and using shit visual texts (no poems :(..and they tried to screw all the poems/speeches people with module B by selecting their texts.
And supposedly the Maths 2U/General maths were harder then previous years lol

I HAVE A PREDICTION THAT HENCEFORTH ALL TESTS WILL BE TWICE AS HARD AS PREVIOUS YEARS (EQUIVALENT TO THAT OF '06 and 08 which are undoubtedly the hardest papers ever). well thanks BOS for making 70,000 people free depressed! yeh boi,like today i had some people crying after the exam and like this one dude who's getting abused by his parents was scared of going home after finishing today's 3U exam.

Last edited:

Studymates

HSC
haha. but ur doing well why would she threaten u lol.
it's all from their point of view. in her circle of friends hypercomplexx might be the dumbest child
or as my parents used to say to me "why can't you be like the next-door genius,if only he was son instead.." lol

HSC
Uni Grad
I think we're the experimental year. Our cohort had selective moved to 16th March for the first time in history. We also had to undertake 5 standardized exams in 4 years -> ELLA + SNAP + ESSA in year 7-8, NAPLAN in year 9 (we're the first year 9's to do NAPLAN), school certificate. We even missed out the laptops. And then what do we get next? A pretty shitty HSC english paper, as well as a pretty hard 3U paper.

I wonder what happened to us... did this happen all coincidentally?

D94

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't call it a stuff up. They can test us on anything, so long as it's in the syllabus, and test us in any order they see fit. There's no rule saying easy questions must go first, harder questions towards the end. We don't determine how they set the exam; trends can be broken; exams were fair in a sense that if you were genuinely good at the subject, you'd do well, and if you are average, you'd do average. At least aligning will still take place and compensate for this level of difficulty this year. Anyway, it's far better that BOS actually discriminates between students and their abilities; otherwise it would just be another memory test.

apollo1

Banned
HSC
I think we're the experimental year. Our cohort had selective moved to 16th March for the first time in history. We also had to undertake 5 standardized exams in 4 years -> ELLA + SNAP + ESSA in year 7-8, NAPLAN in year 9 (we're the first year 9's to do NAPLAN), school certificate. We even missed out the laptops. And then what do we get next? A pretty shitty HSC english paper, as well as a pretty hard 3U paper.

haha i hated missing out on laptops. and to make it even worse our school made us catalogue each of the laptops the year below us would receive. i wanted to steal one. :)

HyperComplexxx

ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
HSC

haha thats what i thought as well, we are the LAB RATS

Studymates

HSC

+1

mirakon

nigga
HSC
are they trying to make us all feel depressed after each exam?

why can't they make the exams like the past years? i've done 2001-10 for all my subjects and these exams seriously screwed me up!
1. in reference to maths 3U/4U (especially 4U where they totally stuffed up the order of questions)..generally the questions go easy --> hard but in that exam i spent way too long on 1-5 only to realise 6/7 were very easy :(
2. English-they stuffed everyone up by putting the whole bloody paper on places and using shit visual texts (no poems :(..and they tried to screw all the poems/speeches people with module B by selecting their texts.
And supposedly the Maths 2U/General maths were harder then previous years lol

I HAVE A PREDICTION THAT HENCEFORTH ALL TESTS WILL BE TWICE AS HARD AS PREVIOUS YEARS (EQUIVALENT TO THAT OF '06 and 08 which are undoubtedly the hardest papers ever). well thanks BOS for making 70,000 people free depressed! yeh boi,like today i had some people crying after the exam and like this one dude who's getting abused by his parents was scared of going home after finishing today's 3U exam.
1. Sure it was unconventional, but by no means was the overall exam especially hard. It was actually about the same level in terms of overall difficulty. 3U was a bit harder, but not so much so that it can be considered "unfair" and it will align more anyway.
2. No, I thought it was an excellent question, weeded out those douches who just regurgitate prepared essay and the question actually required you to think and know your text well and wholistically (ditto for mod B). I'm sick of explaining this to people whining.

michaeljennings

HSC

LOLOLOL a couple of days before paper 1 my friend mentioned this to me and i didnt think anything of it but now I see he (and you) are right unfortunately

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Yeah i've noticed that too. As stupid as it sounds i've always thought that its because we started school in 1999 and they want stuff changed for kids that begun school in the 21st century and we are just the transitional year that gets screwed over.

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
it will all work it self out

if its harder - more people do shit

meaning the cut-offs are lower

breezy262

HSC
2. No, I thought it was an excellent question, weeded out those douches who just regurgitate prepared essay and the question actually required you to think and know your text well and wholistically (ditto for mod B). I'm sick of explaining this to people whining.
I for one am not a 'douche' who regurgitate's pre-prepared essays - I have never, ever walked into an english exam with a single paragraph memorised, just a simple body of knowledge, and I write my exam on the spot. That question, however, screwed me over. Aung San Suu Kyi was not a speech I knew particularly well, and the stress of seeing a question where they prescribed a speech that I didn't like caused me to rush and afterwards I realised that I quite probably had not answered the question properly as I was too focused on just getting as much written as possible about a speech I was not comfortable with. I had memorised quotes for almost all of the other speeches - but I ignored that speech because I did not like it, and I knew that it was highly unlikely that they would prescribe a speech, let alone that one. But I of course, was wrong. HOWEVER, out of my entire year only three people had focused on Suu Kyi's speech, and one of those three had gone against my teacher's recommendations and had a prepared essay that she regurgitated and moulded to the question. So no, that module B question realistically came more down to luck - there are people out there who were lucky and had memorised essays with the speech/poem they prescribed, while those who did not were the disadvantaged ones as I didn't have enough information to write an engaging essay. People are whining because they have something to whine about - they feel as though they did poorly in that exam because of that section, just as I do. This is a forum for HSC discussion and it is perfectly fine for people to complain if they are feeling down about exams. We are all in the same boat and most people at some stage will feel down or like they did poorly in something. Just because you thought it was an 'excellent' question does not mean that everyone else does. It's okay for everyone to feel differently.

roryclifford

HSC
I for one am not a 'douche' who regurgitate's pre-prepared essays - I have never, ever walked into an english exam with a single paragraph memorised, just a simple body of knowledge, and I write my exam on the spot. That question, however, screwed me over. Aung San Suu Kyi was not a speech I knew particularly well, and the stress of seeing a question where they prescribed a speech that I didn't like caused me to rush and afterwards I realised that I quite probably had not answered the question properly as I was too focused on just getting as much written as possible about a speech I was not comfortable with. I had memorised quotes for almost all of the other speeches - but I ignored that speech because I did not like it, and I knew that it was highly unlikely that they would prescribe a speech, let alone that one. But I of course, was wrong. HOWEVER, out of my entire year only three people had focused on Suu Kyi's speech, and one of those three had gone against my teacher's recommendations and had a prepared essay that she regurgitated and moulded to the question. So no, that module B question realistically came more down to luck - there are people out there who were lucky and had memorised essays with the speech/poem they prescribed, while those who did not were the disadvantaged ones as I didn't have enough information to write an engaging essay. People are whining because they have something to whine about - they feel as though they did poorly in that exam because of that section, just as I do. This is a forum for HSC discussion and it is perfectly fine for people to complain if they are feeling down about exams. We are all in the same boat and most people at some stage will feel down or like they did poorly in something. Just because you thought it was an 'excellent' question does not mean that everyone else does. It's okay for everyone to feel differently.
+1

Same with poetry, hardly anyone in my year focussed on Among School Children for Yeats, and at the end of the day those who were lucky enough to focus on it are going to fair better than those who didn't.

Also, perhaps instead of the BoS setting 7 poems for study, or however many speeches, they should bring the number down to say 3 or 4, that way a student will not neglect other subjects purely to learn all 7 poems back to front, and there will not be luck involved for someone who didnt know one of the poems. Just my two cents, would make it fairer I THINK, you can freely disagree with me, but in that way every student is on equal footing.

Eh, over now anyway, can't change it now :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)