General Thoughts: ESL Paper 1 (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Share your thoughts, opinions and experiences of the exam here.

What aspects of the paper did you like and dislike? Did you consider it a fair test of your abilities? How did you find the exam as a whole?

Feel free to start a new thread on any specific aspect of the exam you wish.

bangladesh

HSC
I did quite well overall. I doubt that i've lost more than 4-5 marks overall.
However a lot of people didn't read the question for extnd response of section 1 properly.
It said that "write the beginning of a short story" and most people just wrote a short story... so yeah.

either than that I think the overall exam was really good and easy to do. I wrote 7 pages for my essay. FEELSGOODMAN

Last edited:

soumayae

HSC
the unseen text three was quite hard for me so i think i stuffed up a bit in the questions

bangladesh

HSC
the unseen text three was quite hard for me so i think i stuffed up a bit in the questions
ehh. I didn't think it was too bad... The text itself was quite sophisticated however the questions were pretty simple and straightforward..
Best of luck for tomorrow! xx

mrtdawgz

HSC
was so easy biggest piece of piss ever. Easy 90%. Anyone who bombed that one would have to be a dumbshit

goguma

HSC
Did no one have different interpretations towards the belonging question?
I know the statement is pretty straight forward itself but still after hearing from my class we all interpreted the question quite differently...
Argh best time to have brain short circuit ...

bangladesh

HSC
Did no one have different interpretations towards the belonging question?
I know the statement is pretty straight forward itself but still after hearing from my class we all interpreted the question quite differently...
Argh best time to have brain short circuit ...
As far as i know, there aren't many interpretations that would be right from the bos point of view. They asked about connections. So whatever you write had to be related to establishing connections to either places or people.. How else would you interpret the question?

goguma

HSC
I did quite well overall. I doubt that i've lost more than 4-5 marks overall.
However a lot of people didn't read the question for extnd response of section 1 properly.
It said that "write the beginning of a short story" and most people just wrote a short story... so yeah.

either than that I think the overall exam was really good and easy to do.
are u sure abt the last 7 mark question? I rmb reading it for a few times and it says write a piece of writing titled "It all started with a connection" pr sth..?

goguma

HSC
As far as i know, there aren't many interpretations that would be right from the bos point of view. They asked about connections. So whatever you write had to be related to establishing connections to either places or people.. How else would you interpret the question?
Well maybe it's just me who was too absorbed by the word "challenge", me and a few of my friends wrote the essay based on the idea tht "challenges in the process of belonging can help one to make meaningful connection".....
But yeh I guess wt BOS reli meant was challenge of belonging is to make meaningful connection...which is wt literally have been written on the paper LOLZ

bangladesh

HSC
are u sure abt the last 7 mark question? I rmb reading it for a few times and it says write a piece of writing titled "It all started with a connection" pr sth..?
Yes I'm 100000% sure. I read it twice and didn't notice it but read it a third time and realised it says "the beginning of a short text titled blahblah".
Out of the 20 people who sat the ESL exam in my school, not a single one of them noticed. So don't worry. You're not the only one.

bangladesh

HSC
Well maybe it's just me who was too absorbed by the word "challenge", me and a few of my friends wrote the essay based on the idea tht "challenges in the process of belonging can help one to make meaningful connection".....
But yeh I guess wt BOS reli meant was challenge of belonging is to make meaningful connection...which is wt literally have been written on the paper LOLZ
Ehhh i don't know what to say.. It does seem a TINY bit off track but i don't think it'd matter that much tbh.

goguma

HSC
yeh just confirmed with my frds...ur right mate. oh well at least now i know the art of reading a question .

jiejie949494

HSC
TEXT ONE: Big font size, imperative verb, persuasive language, repetition, visual=symbolism of hand=connection. shows the process of being connected. dare to connect. etc. slogan.
TEXT TWO: first person collective pronoun, high modality Juxtaposition of perspectives between the expert and australian families. use of ancedote/subjective language, emotive language/positive connotations, juxtaposition of for and aginist' "adoption experts say it is cruical for a child's self-esteem and sense of identity0 but overdo it and it can be at the expense of them settling into their new family- use of conjunction changes the meaning/show the negative effect of belonging-perspective.
TEXT THREE: imagery/ descriptive language, first person, past tense, personal reflection, juxtaposition of his discomfort in his new living place to his childhood memory/fantasy/nostalgic in buffalo. symbolism of heat- discomfort. sun, lightning sky=comfort, relax...

kmudgil

HSC
i believe its was only you who read "write the beginning of a short story" lol good luck dude rip 7 marks right there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)