Maglev train (1 Viewer)

Drsoccerball

HSC
LOL does the maglev train even use superconductors ? My physics teacher said that they can but thy dont (He went to japan to look...)

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
As far as I'm aware, some do and some don't. However, I suspect that as superconducting technology improves, more trains will use superconductors because of the very strong magnetic fields that they can create

PhysicsMaths

HSC
Of course maglev trains use superconductors!
Main problem is cost, as laying out many miles of solenoid tracks as well as creating an entirely new infrastructure would cost a lot of money.
Currently, a maglev system is currently being used in Shanghai, but other countries such as Japan are still trying to create a commercially viable system

PhysicsMaths

HSC
This was taken directly from the wiki page for "Maglev"

"Construction of Chuo Shinkansen (in Japan) began in 2014. It was expected to begin operations by 2027 [...] the full track between Tokyo and Osaka was to be completed in 2045"

Drsoccerball

HSC
Of course maglev trains use superconductors!
Main problem is cost, as laying out many miles of solenoid tracks as well as creating an entirely new infrastructure would cost a lot of money.
Currently, a maglev system is currently being used in Shanghai, but other countries such as Japan are still trying to create a commercially viable system
Exactly everyone makes the claim that it uses superconductors but no one describes how? Is it levitation through the meisner effect or what is it ? How is it used in Maglev trains I dont want problems and advantages

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Exactly everyone makes the claim that it uses superconductors but no one describes how? Is it levitation through the meisner effect or what is it ? How is it used in Maglev trains I dont want problems and advantages
Maglev trains do NOT use the Meissner effect - the trains are simply 'dragged' along and levitated by repulsion/attraction between magnets on the bottom of the train and magnets on the rails. The only reason that superconductors are sometimes used is because they can act as very strong electromagnets with no power loss. If they are used, they are (usually) used only on the train rather than the rails (or both), because the cost/effort of cooling them is less when they're on the train.

Thunderstorm

HSC
I was under the impression, the Maglev Train (Shanghai was an example I read) uses superconductor technology in providing levitation, as the magnets on the train are unable to penetrate the superconductor material on the track thus form eddy currents instead, which under Lenz's law, works to oppose the original source of change and hence repels and levitates the train off the track a few centimetres in the air.

Piss poor explanation, but I think the HSC understanding of it would be to assume Maglev Trains utilise superconductor technology even if in 'reality' (most of the HSC Physics course isn't really relatable in reality) it's a different story.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
I was under the impression, the Maglev Train (Shanghai was an example I read) uses superconductor technology in providing levitation, as the magnets on the train are unable to penetrate the superconductor material on the track thus form eddy currents instead, which under Lenz's law, works to oppose the original source of change and hence repels and levitates the train off the track a few centimetres in the air.

Piss poor explanation, but I think the HSC understanding of it would be to assume Maglev Trains utilise superconductor technology even if in 'reality' (most of the HSC Physics course isn't really relatable in reality) it's a different story.
Why would you HAVE to use superconductors?

Thunderstorm

HSC
Why would you HAVE to use superconductors?
I'm sure you wouldn't HAVE too. Tbh I'm not aware of the other alternatives you're implying, but that's the crux of the reasoning behind the use of superconductors in the maglev trains, which the HSC Physics syllabus requires you to regurgitate.

phamtom44

HSC
N/A
Maglev trains certaintly utilise super conductors.

You must know how and why:

Consider the dotpoint:
-gather and process information to describe how superconductors and the effects of magnetic
fields have been applied to develop a maglev train

Basically, Maglev is a system where the vehicle levitates above the guide way using electromagnetic forces allowing for frictionless transport.

You basically have coils on the underside of the train that produce levitation and coils on the side that keep the train centered and stop it from falling off the guide way.

When you're accelerating the train (this is where superconductors come in) the AC in the coils on the guide way in front of the train are set perfectly out of phase with the super conducting coils ON the train so that it is always attracted forwards. Behind the train, the AC on the guideway is set in phase with the AC in the super conducting coils in the train to repel it forwards.

To brake the they phase difference of the AC on the train superconducting coils/guide way coils are set so that they repel and slow the train down. Because superconducting coils have 0 resistance, a large magnitude of current can be passed through them without the coils burning up enabling strong magnetic fields to be produced used in operating the train.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Maglev trains certaintly utilise super conductors.
It is not necessary to use super conducting materials. You can do it with permanent magnets as well.

Downside of using permanent magnets is obvious. Efficiency is much lower than that of superconducting magnets on the track.

However, look at what is required for superconductivity. You need superconductive material, which requires very low temperatures. This requires a lot of effort and is not as economically viable in some cases.

There is a trade off for each, and hence both systems can be used. They both work with the same outcome, but how to get to that outcome is a bit different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)