Thoughts on Creative Degrees (1 Viewer)

StudyToDeath

HSC
I was wandering what your thoughts are on creative degrees.
Such as design, fine arts, music, media etc.

I am considering doing a B Design and Media in Public Relations at UNSW. Requires an ATAR of 85.

Is it worth it? Job prospects?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I was wandering what your thoughts are on creative degrees.
Such as design, fine arts, music, media etc.

I am considering doing a B Design and Media in Public Relations at UNSW. Requires an ATAR of 85.

Is it worth it? Job prospects?
Do it if you enjoy it - or would you rather study a degree you hate "but will get you a job"?

Plus, if you're good at what you do, there will be jobs available - also UNSW is a good uni, so it's not like you'll have a worthless degree

StudyToDeath

HSC
Do it if you enjoy it - or would you rather study a degree you hate "but will get you a job"?

Plus, if you're good at what you do, there will be jobs available - also UNSW is a good uni, so it's not like you'll have a worthless degree
Very true
Thanks for the encouragement :D

astroman

HSC
Redditor summed it up nicely:
Bachelor of fine art here. I even have a minor in craft/metals. I was an idiot.
I did regret it for a while. I think I realized that I had made a huge mistake early in my senior year, but at that point, I figured the best thing to do was finish, get a McJob, and supplement my education bit by bit as I figure out what I want my real career to be. It was hard at first, and I was mad at myself for being so short sighed.
Then this miraculous thing happens. You get older. The distance between you and whatever the fuck it was you did in college widens. You find a job that requires a degree in whatever and quickly learn how to use it as a springboard into something you have no formal training but plenty of work experience in. You wind up with bosses and coworkers who don't care how you spent the four years after high school as long as you're producing results. you'll have a few coworkers exactly like you, and a few coworkers who maybe had the right education earlier than you did but who simply stopped advancing because others were better at the job than them. Before long, you realize that your life looks nothing like you thought it would when you were 22, but that you have upward mobility and you're not miserable. Once you hit a certain point, nobody ever asks about your degree anymore. It takes work, probably more work than people with in demand degrees put in, but you'll build a career and your education will become a footnote on your resume.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
Tbh, IF you're a graphic designer ,art director, fashion designer etc. you'll definitely get a job, although it's competitive, but it can be done if you're good and passionate enough. But if you're a fine artist, then that might be harder. I think the animation artists, graphic designers are much better off than a traditional fine artist. :D

sivvy

HSC
N/A
I did a creative writing degree and haven't used it... that being said, it did allow me to study a few more degrees at postgrad level, so there's that...hah. No but seriously, do what you love, not what will earn you money.

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
I did a creative writing degree and haven't used it... that being said, it did allow me to study a few more degrees at postgrad level, so there's that...hah. No but seriously, do what you love, not what will earn you money.
no you parasite.

sarahdono101

HSC
Hey i think you should stick with what your best and most passionate at as you don't want to be doing something your not sure of or don't like. Im an artist my-self and love painting and drawing I'm currently at Taffe doing my cert-3 for graphic design and I'm really enjoying it. I might even do a completely different course on Illustration, as i would love to design kids books. I wouldn't recommended learning my course at Uni only because I've heard that it is mostly theory based. If you are the kind of person that likes hands on jobs i would most defiantly recommened Taffe. Also there are many courses you can do that can get you a really good job. I guess it all depends on you interests for certain things and how far you are willing to go. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)