Paths into Australian Medicine - Flowchart (1 Viewer)

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Why do you think you wont get in straight away?
You only need 93 ATAR + a decent UMAT.
That is quite true however it is not as easy as implied. Why do you think you won't be able to get in after high school? what do you think will be holding you back?

Although you may really want to get into medicine, I would strongly advise against doing a degree that you see as a "pathway" into medicine. If you do not particularly enjoy studying this and hence your sole reason would be "to get into medicine" you are short changing yourself. Just imagine the amount of people who are thinking the exact same as you. The competition will be high and the stakes are weighed negatively in your favor.

My back-up, which I accepted before I got a late-round offer, was Physiotherapy at USYD. I chose physio because I actually enjoyed learning about how the muscles and the physiology of the body work. So please do yourself a favor and choose a back up that you would enjoy doing.

Bobbo1

HSC
That is quite true however it is not as easy as implied. Why do you think you won't be able to get in after high school? what do you think will be holding you back?

Although you may really want to get into medicine, I would strongly advise against doing a degree that you see as a "pathway" into medicine. If you do not particularly enjoy studying this and hence your sole reason would be "to get into medicine" you are short changing yourself. Just imagine the amount of people who are thinking the exact same as you. The competition will be high and the stakes are weighed negatively in your favor.

My back-up, which I accepted before I got a late-round offer, was Physiotherapy at USYD. I chose physio because I actually enjoyed learning about how the muscles and the physiology of the body work. So please do yourself a favor and choose a back up that you would enjoy doing.
+1

kamalpradeep

HSC
N/A
Hi, I got some promotional email from NIE and it says that some medical schools only look at UMAT score to offer interviews and do not look at ATAR. I am not aware of any such. Does anyone know about it?

iStudent

HSC
That would be true for universities that offer first round interviews - which are conducted before ATAR results are released (and hence they only look at UMAT score, even though they may end up using ATAR in their final selection process).

UWS, UNSW, JMP just to name a few (although, some of these do require an "estimated" atar I guess?)

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, you still have to submit your estimated ATAR :p I did this for Monash Uni.

However, I think now interstate students (if they do not request to have an interview before ATARs are out) would have interviews only after their ATAR and UMAT results are known !

A1P

HSC
it says that some medical schools only look at UMAT score to offer interviews and do not look at ATAR.
They all look at ATAR before UMAT, but in different ways.

WSU & JMP have an ATAR hurdle around 95, if your predicted ATAR meets that interview offer is based only on UMAT. But if your real ATAR then turns out unsatisfactory you get excluded regardless how well your interview went.

UNSW, Monash etc offer interviews based on ATAR + UMAT combined. They offer 1st round interviews only to in-state applicants whose predicted ATAR and UMAT combine to clearly above the calculated cutoff. The marginal ones have to wait for 2nd round with their real ATAR.

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
This table provides a comprehensive overview of the ATAR/UMAT selection criteria for Medicine
http://medstudentsonline.com.au/forum/threads/2016-17-med-schools-selection-criteria-for-y12s.31845/

Hope it helps show where you have the best chance.
Heads up that for Usyd, not all 99.95s get in. Think only 3/4 got in last year.

Also for UNSW, your 'chart' seems a bit off :p I got 99.65 and 96 UMAT (around 66 if you divide by 3) for my year and was considered average if not slightly lower than ave in my course :blink2:

Monash seems pretty hard as well :) Most my friends who are in there have 99+ ATAR + 96 + UMAT.

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
Heads up that for Usyd, not all 99.95s get in. Think only 3/4 got in last year.
As long as they dont say something ridiculous in the interview, they'll get in. In previous years only 1-2 people who got .95 missed out..

Fantastic table... Very helpful overall.

A1P

HSC
Also for UNSW, your 'chart' seems a bit off :p I got 99.65 and 96 UMAT (around 66 if you divide by 3) for my year and was considered average if not slightly lower than ave in my course :blink2:
Shown in the table is combination of ATAR:UMAT for a UNSW interview. Together they then count 2/3rd in place ranking so, barring a major reversal by the interview, you generally need quite a bit better than those scores to get a place offer (as there are only 180 places for ~450 interviewees).

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Shown in the table is combination of ATAR:UMAT for a UNSW interview. Together they then count 2/3rd in place ranking so, barring a major reversal by the interview, you generally need quite a bit better than those scores to get a place offer (as there are only 180 places for ~450 interviewees).
Yep. I'm saying your score representation is a bit lower than what people got offered for interview thats all :)

Also it could be useful to add in that people with EAS/ Access scheme in UNSW get significant consideration

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
As long as they dont say something ridiculous in the interview, they'll get in. In previous years only 1-2 people who got .95 missed out..

Fantastic table... Very helpful overall.
Not sure about that :blink2: . 2/5 students I knew from 'Intro to Med' seminars didn't get in last year.I think that used to be the case but they changed it. There's more people applying each year.

bangladesh

HSC
there's only about 40 people who get the interview and out of them 35+ get in so eitherway, it's the best interview odds in the country.

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Double Degree Medicine is a prescribed undergraduate degree followed by
the four-year Doctor of Medicine (MD). Up to 30 domestic places will be made available in:
■ Commerce–MD
■ Economics–MD
■ Music Studies–MD
■ Science (Advanced)–MD
■ Medical Science–MD.
Under the Cadigal Alternative Entry program up to five places in the
Science (Advanced)–MD and Medical Science–MD will be offered to
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants. For more information,
visit http://sydney.edu.au/ug-special.
The selection process for medicine is competitive. The selection criteria
includes:
■ academic merit – ATAR (or equivalent) cut-off expected to be 99.95 for
2017 entry
an assessment process including a written assessment and an interview.
The assessments will be held in January 2017 and eligible applicants will
be contacted by email or telephone
■ Music Studies–MD – interviews will be held in January 2017 and applicants
will be shortlisted based on their ATAR and a successful interview/
audition for the B Music Studies. Apply directly to the Conservatorium by
Friday 30 September 2016 for the music studies interview/audition in late
November and early December.

Think it's around 30 students actually, including the 5 places for ATSI students ~

iStudent

HSC
Might be more than 40 considering you get people from other states going for the interview (I'm assuming you said 40 because that's around the number of people who get .95 in nsw?)

bangladesh

HSC
Might be more than 40 considering you get people from other states going for the interview (I'm assuming you said 40 because that's around the number of people who get .95 in nsw?)
Precisely. There is usually not a huge number of interstaters. And Rena what is written on their website is hugely different to what happens irl. The spots are defs not limited to 30 and they will take as many .95ers as they can and just adjust their post-grad admission accordingly. The interview is also more like a guide to usyd and they take them around and show them what the uni has to offer and why they need to choose usyd.

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Precisely. There is usually not a huge number of interstaters. And Rena what is written on their website is hugely different to what happens irl. The spots are defs not limited to 30 and they will take as many .95ers as they can and just adjust their post-grad admission accordingly. The interview is also more like a guide to usyd and they take them around and show them what the uni has to offer and why they need to choose usyd.
Not sure how you 'definitely know this; ;-; Since I know 2 people who seemed pretty decent not get in last year. The 30 places capped was on the UAC website for 2016.

Unless you got an interview bangladesh, not sure how you know that :p

1) My cousin achieved 99.95 two years ago (from melbourne) and went through the interview which wasn't 'just a guide' haha. Im pretty sure if you ask around, there's a few people who didn't get in :) Can't be too definitive and say they can adjust their post-grad admissions carefully/ it is just a guide.
2) You can call the hotline form http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/contact/, and ask them about it. We called them up two years ago and from what I remember the places were capped. Specifically, if you are really lazy, the hotline number is here: Helpline 1800 793 864 (1800 SYD UNI).
3) I called them up earlier on and the places are generally capped at 30 for domestic and 10 for internationals

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
Not sure how you 'definitely know this; ;-; Since I know 2 people who seemed pretty decent not get in last year. The 30 places capped was on the UAC website for 2016.

Unless you got an interview bangladesh, not sure how you know that :p

1) My cousin achieved 99.95 two years ago (from melbourne) and went through the interview which wasn't 'just a guide' haha. Im pretty sure if you ask around, there's a few people who didn't get in :) Can't be too definitive and say they can adjust their post-grad admissions carefully/ it is just a guide.
2) You can call the hotline form http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/contact/, and ask them about it. We called them up two years ago and from what I remember the places were capped. Specifically, if you are really lazy, the hotline number is here: Helpline 1800 793 864 (1800 SYD UNI).
3) I called them up earlier on and the places are generally capped at 30 for domestic and 10 for internationals
source: 3 of my mates are in combined medicine at usyd.
Ps. No need for the condescending language or the passive aggressiveness. Just trying to inform future meders, it's nothing personal..

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
source: 3 of my mates are in combined medicine at usyd.
Ps. No need for the condescending language or the passive aggressiveness. Just trying to inform future meders, it's nothing personal..
Not sure where the condescending language or passive aggressiveness you were mentioning came from tbh. I was just clearing up misunderstandings as well, so future meddies can just select the best option for them and not be too confused from different personal sources. It was really confusing for a few of my peers (some of them with 99.95 ended up putting UNSW down for these reasons). It may influence which university they put as first choice for example and how much planning to choose each uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)