Is it still possible to improve my internal ranks? (1 Viewer)

thatace

HSC
So I've bombed the first 2 terms of HSC.

These are my ranks and marks after the first two terms of HSC:
School Ranking as of 2018: 115
English Standard: 48/60 (I got a mark of 43% on my report and average is 57%)
Mathematics Ext 1: 26/33 (I got a mark of 70% on my report and average is 88%)
Mathematics Ext 2: 12/17 (I got a mark of 82% on my report and average is 85%)
Physics: 43/43 (I got a mark of 21% on my report and average is 48%)
Software, Design & Development: 10/13 (I got a mark of 47% on my report and average is 60%)

These are my term 3 exam marks:
80% in English Standard (jumped up from 45% marks in exams from term 1 and 2)
74% in Mathematics Ext 2 (jumped up from 59% marks in exams from term 1 and 2)
60% in Mathematics Ext 1 (dropped down from 80% that I got in term 2 exam and jumped from 50% that I got in term 1 exam)
68% in Software, Design & Development (jumped up from mid 40%'s from term 1 and 2 exams)
35% in Physics (around the same mark I got in term 1 and 2)

Weightage for completed term 3 exams:
English Standard - 20%
Mathematics Ext 2 - 30%
Mathematics Ext 1 - 30%
Software, Design & Development- 30%
Physics - 40%

Weightage for upcoming trial exams:
English Standard - 30%
Mathematics Ext 2 - 40%
Mathematics Ext 1 - 40%
Software, Design & Development- 30%
Physics - 30%

Mark prediction for trials:
English Standard - 80% - 85%
Mathematics Ext 2 - 90%+
Mathematics Ext 1 - 90%+
Software, Design & Development - 90%+
Physics - 60% - 70 %

So let me clear some things up first. I'm not stressed for trials for any subject except for Physics. I know there's no way I'm going to get top 25 for Physics after my trials, even if i get full marks. I'm confident about my trial marks because I've been studying a lot nowadays and I've seen self improvement while I do questions and past papers.

So my question is: If i get near those predicted marks for trials, will my ranks improve significantly or no? Also, if I do get those marks in my trials that I mentioned above, and I completely grind out for HSC and get external marks of 95+ in every subject, would it be possible to get a 90-93 ATAR?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
The scenario you talk about at the end is like the ideal perfect scenario. Scoring 95+ in external exams is very difficult even for top ranked students. You have to just sort of accept that the marks from the past will probably affect your final ATAR. It's not impossible but very unlikely to get 95+ all externals if you haven't been doing that consistently throughout the year. The main thing is just put in all the effort you can, and maybe you might get lucky but there's no real way to know until you finish your trials in terms of how much your study has improved you

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I did the exact same subjects as you in my HSC and got a 95+ atar so I'll just tell you what kind of marks I got.

English standard - Final mark was 83, I failed one task which was weighted I think 15%. My external mark was 85. My trial was 30% and I got 68%. I finished at a rank of 8th

4u Maths - Trial was again 30%, got a final mark of 90 and my external mark was 92. In the trial I got 85%. Was in about a mark range of 70s

3u Maths - Flunked first exam, was ranked bottom 10, cohort had 60ish students. I finished up at a rank of 6th and in trials I got 90%, in externals I got a 96

Software - Trial I got 83%, in the HSC this gave me a 96 and a final mark of 95, but our trial was really hard. I wasn't ranked first btw. First place got a lower mark than me

Physics - well you said you didn't care about this one and I hate talking about HSC Physics

Getting a 93+ atar is going to be really difficult. You can get atleast an 85+. As you can see by my marks. For some context, my school was ranked MUCH below yours. As you can see from my marks it's very difficult to improve that drastically over such a small time.

Only subject which I improved so much for was Software and Maths, even in English which I did try really hard writing essays, I just couldn't improve that much because I hated it. 4u Math's I did improve, going from 70s to a mark of 92 but it's not that much of a difference.

I'm not trying to put you down by saying you can't improve, but there's only so much one can do in however many weeks between trials and HSC. From now on put everything you have into it. You have improved by quite a bit already so keep going.

Last edited:

thatace

HSC
The scenario you talk about at the end is like the ideal perfect scenario. Scoring 95+ in external exams is very difficult even for top ranked students. You have to just sort of accept that the marks from the past will probably affect your final ATAR. It's not impossible but very unlikely to get 95+ all externals if you haven't been doing that consistently throughout the year. The main thing is just put in all the effort you can, and maybe you might get lucky but there's no real way to know until you finish your trials in terms of how much your study has improved you
Thank you. I'll try my best!

thatace

HSC
I did the exact same subjects as you in my HSC and got a 95+ atar so I'll just tell you what kind of marks I got.

English standard - Final mark was 83, I failed one task which was weighted I think 15%. My external mark was 85. My trial was 30% and I got 68%. I finished at a rank of 8th

4u Maths - Trial was again 30%, got a final mark of 90 and my external mark was 92. In the trial I got 85%. Was in about a mark range of 70s

3u Maths - Flunked first exam, was ranked bottom 10, cohort had 60ish students. I finished up at a rank of 6th and in trials I got 90%, in externals I got a 96

Software - Trial I got 83%, in the HSC this gave me a 96 and a final mark of 95, but our trial was really hard. I wasn't ranked first btw. First place got a lower mark than me

Physics - well you said you didn't care about this one and I hate talking about HSC Physics

Getting a 93+ atar is going to be really difficult. You can get atleast an 85+. As you can see by my marks. For some context, my school was ranked MUCH below yours. As you can see from my marks it's very difficult to improve that drastically over such a small time.

Only subject which I improved so much for was Software and Maths, even in English which I did try really hard writing essays, I just couldn't improve that much because I hated it. 4u Math's I did improve, going from 70s to a mark of 92 but it's not that much of a difference.

I'm not trying to put you down by saying you can't improve, but there's only so much one can do in however many weeks between trials and HSC. From now on put everything you have into it. You have improved by quite a bit already so keep going.
Perfect reply. Again, thanks for the response. This clears everything up for me and I plan on trying my best from now until HSC.

thatace

HSC
Perfect reply. Again, thanks for the response. This clears everything up for me and I plan on trying my best from now until HSC.
Also, may I message you aftee I get my trial marks back and see what your thoughts are on those?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)