Computer Science: UTS vs UNSW vs USYD (1 Viewer)

Sikkk

HSC
I want to get into a computer science degree and would like some feedback on the courses:
- Computing Science (UTS)
- Computer Science (UNSW)
- Advanced Computing (USYD)
I've been looking at some other threads/forums and majority say that UNSW #1, UTS #2 and USYD #3 (for some reason, apparently USYD's available computing course isn't as good as the other two and they aren't as 'strong' in that academic field).

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I want to get into a computer science degree and would like some feedback on the courses:
- Computing Science (UTS)
- Computer Science (UNSW)
- Advanced Computing (USYD)
I've been looking at some other threads/forums and majority say that UNSW #1, UTS #2 and USYD #3 (for some reason, apparently USYD's available computing course isn't as good as the other two and they aren't as 'strong' in that academic field).
Well you're right.

However when I was choosing courses I didn't consider UTS but still had USYD because the name USYD counts for something lol. UNSW was still my first preference though.

What can I say other than CS at UNSW is great!

Sikkk

HSC
Well you're right.

However when I was choosing courses I didn't consider UTS but still had USYD because the name USYD counts for something lol. UNSW was still my first preference though.

What can I say other than CS at UNSW is great!
I have heard that CS at UNSW is considered the best in sydney in general! Do you have any mates at the other uni's and what they think of it? The things I've read on other thread that they say are that USYD's course/exams is a little sus and their lecturer is pretty chat, and that UTS facilities for CS is alright but academically, the content is much easier compared to UNSW (you don't learn much at UTS compared to UNSW). I also heard that UTS course is a fairly new course, thus why it has an extremely low atar requirement?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I have heard that CS at UNSW is considered the best in sydney in general! Do you have any mates at the other uni's and what they think of it? The things I've read on other thread that they say are that USYD's course/exams is a little sus and their lecturer is pretty chat, and that UTS facilities for CS is alright but academically, the content is much easier compared to UNSW (you don't learn much at UTS compared to UNSW). I also heard that UTS course is a fairly new course, thus why it has an extremely low atar requirement?
Yep everything you've said is correct. As for the last bit Atar cutoff depends on supply and demand. Clearly a lot of people prefer to choose Unsw over Uts which makes Unsw more competitive and hence a higher Atar cutoff.

As for Usyd yeah I've heard the same kind of sus opinions about Usyds CS from people I know. Just go with Unsw imo, nothing beats it really.

Uts's content is less rigorous and challenging than Unsw's content but they focus a bit more on the practical aspect I think. Personally I would still recommend Unsw but ultimately it's your decision to make.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Check out my reply here: https://www.boredofstudies.org/threads/best-university-degrees-for-it.390267/#post-7328814

There's also many other threads on here about this, but to sum it up: UNSW's course is the most rigorous and has the best reputation, UTS has a more practical lean and the timetabling + location is convenient for part time study while working. Usyd isn't really known for CS/Engineering but it's a solid university with closer ties to UNSW making it might be a decent choice if you either like the university, have friends/family there or might want to transfer to UNSW later.

prashy261

HSC
This is what I think based on my experiences visiting the universities and chatting to them at the careers expo last yr. I reckon UNSW would be #1 as they have great facilities and course for ComSci, they also have a great reputation especially for Engineering (as this is the field it comes under at UNSW). The UNSW campus is really good as well so you can expand your learning of ComSci through the different programs they offer. For UTS there ComSci course is pretty good but the campus as you know is separated across Sydney city which makes it difficult to travel across. When I was at UTS it felt kinda boring at times coz it didn't have the vibe of a open campus uni like UNSW or USYD. Tbh I'm not really too sure about the USYD program, but I've heard AdvComp is pre challenging but the professors are chill, I'll probs put this at #2 and UTS at #3 just because it's so much better to study at a open campus uni. ComSci is my backup option atm and if i were to choose probs UNSW is the best.

dasfas

HSC
I'm doing INFO1110 at USYD rn (intro to programming).

The lecturer isn't fantastic, but he isn't bad. Sometimes he goes into a lot of detail, talking about how memory is allocated and it just gets confusing, but it's not terrible. During this covid crisis, he was very good at explaining the direction of the unit and was well organised. Other than that, we don't have much iteration with him. The tutors are great and super helpful and always answer our questions when we post them. The main reason people complain about this is because it's a rather hard course (~50% fail rate apparently). Imo, I think that they're probably taking it too easy and expecting to be spoonfed, not realising that this is a completely new subject that they can't rely on any prior knowledge from. I started from 0 at the start of this semester and i'm keeping up alright. The assignment they've given us is pretty tricky, with lots of content that we've only just covered (ie. Classes) and also asks us to do some BFS/DFS search on it (which I don't think many first year course), but I do think it's doable with enough googling.

This unit gets a bad rap for its high workload and difficult assignments but honestly, if you're hear to learn, it's quite good. I have no idea about other unis or the rest of the CS courses between unis but i'm sure they're all roughly similar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)