Do I Keep English Extension 1 for HSC? (1 Viewer)

kahootallah

HSC
So, I handed in my Year 12 subject selection form dropping English Extension 1 with the intension of doing 11 units which consist of Extension 1 Maths, Advanced English, Chemistry, Biology, and Physics. However, on the last day of Year 11 I received my English Extension 1 Yearly paper and ranked 4th out of 79 people.

Now, the problem I have is that I was not really that confident on my other tasks in English Extension 1, and I barely scraped average for them. However, the HSC tasks for English Extension 1 look fun, with more creative writing portfolio stuff and a little bit of analysis. I was kinda butthurt from being unable to get intl Extension 2 Maths in my cohort, so now I'm wondering if the way Extension 1 English scales can compensate for me not getting into 4U maths.

So, I either do 12 units with Extension 1 English, or just 11 units without it. Of course, I feel 11 units will give me more time to study in general especially with the 3 sciences, but I don't want to be put at a disadvantage compared to the people in my school who do Extension 2 Maths. What do you guys think?

kahootallah

HSC
why not do english ext and 2 sciences? 3 sciences is a MASSIVE workload
I don't know how to feel about 10 units. Do you reckon it's better than doing extra? Also, I like doing all the sciences lmao I don't want to drop them.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
10 units if you're quite confident you'll do good across all subjects, since there isn't much room for failure.

Was the english extension task that you ranked 4th on the spot? If so you should definitely take it up!!

kahootallah

HSC
10 units if you're quite confident you'll do good across all subjects, since there isn't much room for failure.

Was the english extension task that you ranked 4th on the spot? If so you should definitely take it up!!
What do you mean on the spot? Yeah I came 4th in that task

idkkdi

HSC
So, I handed in my Year 12 subject selection form dropping English Extension 1 with the intension of doing 11 units which consist of Extension 1 Maths, Advanced English, Chemistry, Biology, and Physics. However, on the last day of Year 11 I received my English Extension 1 Yearly paper and ranked 4th out of 79 people.

Now, the problem I have is that I was not really that confident on my other tasks in English Extension 1, and I barely scraped average for them. However, the HSC tasks for English Extension 1 look fun, with more creative writing portfolio stuff and a little bit of analysis. I was kinda butthurt from being unable to get intl Extension 2 Maths in my cohort, so now I'm wondering if the way Extension 1 English scales can compensate for me not getting into 4U maths.

So, I either do 12 units with Extension 1 English, or just 11 units without it. Of course, I feel 11 units will give me more time to study in general especially with the 3 sciences, but I don't want to be put at a disadvantage compared to the people in my school who do Extension 2 Maths. What do you guys think?
how many in your yr made ext 2 maths?

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
on the spot - i.e. kinda winging.
no, it's when you don't have a third party helping you out.

It's what destroys the ranking of those who rely too heavily on tutors and is a somewhat fairer playing field.

dasfas

HSC
I reckon do 12 units and drop whatever you're struggling the most in/not enjoying later on. Doing 3 sciences plus 3 humanities is pretty impressive and shows you're capable at a range of different subjects.

idkkdi

HSC

It's what destroys the ranking of those who rely too heavily on tutors and is a somewhat fairer playing field.
bruh, I dont go tutoring for anything.

am I cool?

kahootallah

HSC

I barely put time into English extension, I have a tutor for Advanced but I rarely asked them for help with Extension.

idkkdi

HSC
Like 96 out of 180 people. If I didn't mess up my first year 11 maths exam, I could have made it in
lmfao. that cohort is way too big.
realistically, if we got rid of tutoring, I reckon only ~10 out of those 96 could actually comfortably do 4u, unless this is ruse. but ruse should have more ext 2 students.

idkkdi

HSC
I am very much interested in learning how you made it into a top selective then.

Don't be shy
that was in yr 5-6, when I had no motivation to study. only way to deal with those kids is to force them into tutoring lmfao.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
that was in yr 5-6, when I had no motivation to study. only way to deal with those kids is to force them into tutoring lmfao.
I find it odd how someone would go tutoring when they're a child and stop when it's the HSC

But you do you good job then

idkkdi

HSC
I find it odd how someone would go tutoring when they're a child and stop when it's the HSC

But you do you good job then
there's actually no way for me to prove that I don't go tutoring lmfao.

but seriously, some textbooks we have in nsw are insane. the Cambridge 4u book is actual gold. i simp for the authors. they have huge brain.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
i feel during the hsc its more the childs choice
Unless you're part of the 5% in a selective school that have actually slacked off, you'd be very likely to be influenced by the competitiveness of your peers and attend some sort of tutoring.

But kudos to those who can learn themselves from a textbook, especially MX2 @idkkdi

idkkdi

HSC
Unless you're part of the 5% in a selective school that have actually slacked off, you'd be very likely to be influenced by the competitiveness of your peers and attend some sort of tutoring.

But kudos to those who can learn themselves from a textbook, especially MX2 @idkkdi
as long as you're destroying those who go tutoring, you don't get influenced that much lol.

so realistically, tutoring, unless you're part of the 5% slackers or the 5% pog bois. actually 5% is too high. probs like 2% for pog bois lmao.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)