Should I get a job during Year 12? (1 Viewer)

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
I really want money but I don't want the job to clash with schoolwork, other school duties and sport. I'd probably apply for retail or either dominos or pizza hut

I have terrible time management skills now but I had a job for a few months in Yr10 and I was getting assignments done at least a week before they were due, plus my grades weren't effected, so maybe a job could get me to plan my time better?

Also I stress a lot, and I don't want more anxiety than I've already got

But I want money

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
I really want money but I don't want the job to clash with schoolwork, other school duties and sport. I'd probably apply for retail or either dominos or pizza hut

I have terrible time management skills now but I had a job for a few months in Yr10 and I was getting assignments done at least a week before they were due, plus my grades weren't effected, so maybe a job could get me to plan my time better?

But I want money
Just apply for the job

It's good because it teaches you time management (as well as looks good on any job application)

If you have stress issues, then I'd suggest you see a counciller/psychologist (more of the latter imo)

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Just apply for the job

It's good because it teaches you time management (as well as looks good on any job application)

If you have stress issues, then I'd suggest you see a counciller/psychologist (more of the latter imo)
Yeah that's what I was thinking, because if I've got the added responsibility then I'll probably realise I need to get my shit together haha

I've already been seeing a psychologist for a few months now, and she reckons I should apply as well. I've improved but I had a horrible experience at my last job and I don't want to repeat it.

Thanks for your advice :)

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
Yeah that's what I was thinking, because if I've got the added responsibility then I'll probably realise I need to get my shit together haha

I've already been seeing a psychologist for a few months now, and she reckons I should apply as well. I've improved but I had a horrible experience at my last job and I don't want to repeat it.

Thanks for your advice :)
If you've had a horrible experience at your last job then apply for anothet

All the best :)

Robbie M

HSC
Yeah getting a job is pretty beneficial, i usually take time off during exam periods but it teaches you life skills, looks good on your CV and also helps with time management tbh.

kendallkreene

HSC
Definitely take the job! I've found that time expands when we have too much of it. Basically meaning that the more time we have, the less efficiently we tend to use it.

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
Personally I would not get a job in Year 12 only because you are definitely entering one of the more important years of your schooling. If we're talking about improving time management you need something with less commitment, I recommend you sign up for charity events this year like the red shield door-knock appeal or even sign up for things at school that are one off. This way you're able to build your skills but at the same time your not committed so if you realise that you can't possibly keep up such a lifestyle it's as easy as returning back to the books after you've completed your commitment.

If we're talking about getting some extra pocket money I'd suggest having some self control and maybe withholding from buying things that you want this year and make the sacrifice so you can just focus on your study, you will have plenty of time next year to really figure everything out. This is the more reasonable option as after Year 12 you'll know yourself better and how you actually deal with real stress and pressure and you'll be able to get a job during university with a lot more confidence that it won't be cutting into your studies.

The worst thing is getting a job and then leaving or doing it poorly because you are so bogged down with assessments.

But then again, if you feel you are ready for a huge step up then by all means go for it, I'm basing this off my personal experience of the HSC and especially working full time after :)

IsmirHylt

HSC
It depends on you. If you aspire to become very smart and have a higher chance of obtaining good grades at school, you should concentrate only on it.

icycledough

HSC

But I want money
Just because you are approaching your HSC exams soon (bit more than 2 months till it starts), I wouldn't commit to a job just now as it may hinder your biggest importance of this year, which is to get the ATAR you are aiming for so you can get into the course you want to. That said, you will have much more time after your exams and even during uni to start a job where you can commit to scheduled hours (if that's what you are intending to), as uni tends to give you more time to partake in extracurricular activities. It may also add more stress onto you, which could ultimately result in poorer results relatively, if you aren't able to balance both lifestyles. In terms of 'wanting money', that may not be the most important thing for you now, because as I mentioned above, you will have plenty of opportunities and more time from next year onwards, or even when you finish your exams.

dasfas

HSC
I do not recommend it for Y12

a) Universities don't give a shit about ECs unless you are applying for a scholarship - is it really worth getting maybe a couple grand and potentially missing out on your dream course?

b) You're going to be bogged down with assignments, and work is going to stress you out because you'll have had a long day at school and then need to go straight to work. You'll probably end up having worse health and sleeping less because of it.

Focus on your studies, focus on your friends. The money you make now is peanuts compared to what you'll be making later.

IsmirHylt

HSC
It depends on you. If you aspire to become very smart and have a higher chance of obtaining good grades at school, you should concentrate only on it.

nourished.

HSC
But I want money
Apply for it. And, whilst it might be a crap move, realise that you can quit at anytime. If the stress piles up, quit. If it doesn't, stick in there for a bit. Personally, I worked during my HSC, so it's very doable. Make yourself a routine, and try to get a bit of study in everyday. Make notes early on, and start on assignments as soon as you get them. Either way, there'll be a lot more opportunities to work after high school. So, you're not really that late to the game.

BOS101

HSC

But I want money
I don't think you should. You have a lot already, including school, study, other school commitments and sport. In the hsc, you should really only be focusing on two things. You have school and sport. Getting a job would hinder you and make you extremely tired. Most people just get a job during uni.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
If you do get a job, make sure it's low intensity and let's you have the ability to do your own studies as well. Maybe try marking for a tutoring company.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
This is an old thread that has just been revived, but thought I would alert anyone thinking of applying to ANU (as my son will be doing) that co-curricular activities are a requirement and a paid job is included as a co-curricular activity. I only just became aware of this requirement.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)