State ranks (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Original Poster:

If your internals are low, however you smash the external hsc exam and get around mid to high 90s, do you have a chance of state ranking the subject?
That depends on the subject and on what is considered a low mark according to you. However, I think it would generally be safe to assume that if a student performs in the way you are suggesting, they are likely not to receive a state rank for that subject. A student's chance of receiving a state rank also depends on Course Candidature and Maximum place in Top Achievers, as seen in the table below:

1627291479341.png
I believe that for subjects like English Standard and Information Processes and Technology, receiving a state rank might be easier compared to other subjects as you may not be required to get extremely high marks (i.e. 95 and above) in order to receive a state rank.

To be more specific in terms of other subjects and with respect to the 2020 HSC, there is a person on here that came 9th in Mathematics Extension 1 with 100 as their final mark. That person also came 9th in Physics with a final mark of 97 and 19th in Chemistry with a final mark of 98.

I hope this helps! 😄

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
your final HSC mark reflects both internals and externals, meaning if you only smash the HSC and didn't do so well at school, then your HSC mark for that subject might not be state rank potential. for example a very amazing 99 external (exam mark) and not so amazing 90 internal (assessment mark) will give a 95 HSC mark (avg of the two), and for a subject like mx1 or mx2, 95 is definitely not a state rank mark. if I'm wrong abt this then pls correct me

idkkdi

HSC
If your internals are low, however you smash the external hsc exam and get around mid to high 90s, do you have a chance of state ranking the subject?
no

With an internal of mid b6, you're already going to need state rank 1 to state rank.
In maths, mid b6 internal even with state rank 1 ext isn't going to get you a state rank.

mark wise, 97/98 is usually the last state rank mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

idkkdi

HSC
your final HSC mark reflects both internals and externals, meaning if you only smash the HSC and didn't do so well at school, then your HSC mark for that subject might not be state rank potential. for example a very amazing 99 external (exam mark) and not so amazing 90 internal (assessment mark) will give a 95 HSC mark (avg of the two), and for a subject like mx1 or mx2, 95 is definitely not a state rank mark. if I'm wrong abt this then pls correct me
2020:
new syllabus mx1 - 100 for like a 1 in 5 chance of state rank. actually not too sure about 1 in 5 lol. but, 100 doesn't guarantee a state rank pretty sure.
mx2 - 99, with certain 99/99 int/ext not getting a state rank pretty sure.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
are state ranks based on externals only or do internal marks play a role in it?
State ranks are determined using students' HSC marks, which are the final marks they receive in their subjects, comprised of an Assessment Mark and an Examination Mark, each worth 50% of the HSC mark.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)