whats a good raw mark for chemistry? (1 Viewer)

Halo189

HSC
N/A
whats the difference between unweighted and weighted raw mark

Traxoom73

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on what you are aiming for. Most people would consider a band 6 to be a very good mark, which is about a 70-75 raw in the HSC exam. It's because markers tend to be very picky about your answers, and the room for error is quite high. Also, there tends to be a lot of application of the concepts rather than sheer regurgitation, which adds even more depth to an already difficult subject.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Depends on what you are aiming for. Most people would consider a band 6 to be a very good mark, which is about a 70-75 raw in the HSC exam. It's because markers tend to be very picky about your answers, and the room for error is quite high. Also, there tends to be a lot of application of the concepts rather than sheer regurgitation, which adds even more depth to an already difficult subject.
nah it was 80-82 this year for a b6.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
whoa i didn't know jap continuers scaled that well, i always thought it scaled shit (but chose it anyways XD)

astroman

HSC
whoa i didn't know jap continuers scaled that well, i always thought it scaled shit (but chose it anyways XD)
most languages that aren't 'beginners' are some of the best scaling subjects you can do.

iStudent

HSC
f33ls when you get 90 raw and the guy that gets 89 gets a better weighed raw mark.
But that guy (me) did shipwrecks - the option that shipwrek'd everyone with their st00pid 7 marker :p

iStudent

HSC
There's a difference between scaling and aligning. What you see in that table is how subjects are *aligned* (so like, raw mark into HSC mark). Scaling is somewhat involved in converting HSC mark into aggregate (the thing that is directly involved in ATAR)

That's why you see gen maths 89 -> 95

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
most languages that aren't 'beginners' are some of the best scaling subjects you can do.
This is not exactly true. Beginners courses are, generally, very good scaling courses.

According to 2014 Table A3:

P90 Italian Beginners/French Beginners - scaled mark 40.6
P90 German Beginners - scaled mark 41.5
P90 Physics - scaled mark 42.0
P90 Modern History - scaled mark 39.9
P90 Biology - scaled mark 39.2
P90 English Advanced - scaled mark 41.7
P90 Japanese Continuers - scaled mark 42.9
P90 French Continuers - scaled mark 44.2

So, just from the data above, Beginners language courses are definitely not as good in terms of scaling as the Continuers courses. However, some Beginners courses do scale very well - almost as well as Physics.

(Other Beginners courses like Arabic don't scale well at all - no clue why).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)