Is Kurt Mathematics Centre good? (1 Viewer)

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
Really, if you look at page 1 of this thread, you could see Crobat saying that Kurt had this way of explaining concepts which clocked at the back of his head as opposed to memorising the formulas. I'm just interested but what makes him have the rare ability to do that
It happened to be that Kurt's teaching methods aligned with Crobat's learning methods.

How about the rest of the population at Kurt's? This is a rare ability unless you consider the whole sample size.

I'm thinking that you think that something also clicks for every (or most) student who goes there... based on one experience?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
But what is it about him which makes him possess this really rare skill of teaching in a way which makes his dumb students improve?
I think 'dumb students' is a rather derogatory term to describe those who do not perform as well as others. There are a plethora of reasons as to why they may not be performing as well. I should hope that I don't have to actually explain them to you here.

Really, if you look at page 1 of this thread, you could see Crobat saying that Kurt had this way of explaining concepts which clocked at the back of his head as opposed to memorising the formulas. I'm just interested but what makes him have the rare ability to do that
In my experience, I've learned that some people just 'have it in them' whereas others don't. Usually, at this level, intuitive explanations tend to be very effective... even if sometimes mathematically incorrect or unjustified.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I think 'dumb students' is a rather derogatory term to describe those who do not perform as well as others. There are a plethora of reasons as to why they may not be performing as well. I should hope that I don't have to actually explain them to you here.

In my experience, I've learned that some people just 'have it in them' whereas others don't. Usually, at this level, intuitive explanations tend to be very effective... even if sometimes mathematically incorrect or unjustified.
When I refer to "dumb" students I don't mean stupid dumb in that sense that they are senseless crazy idiots who act like maniacs 24/7, I mean they're the lower range of the kids in the sense that they need improvement. And yes I don't need you to explain further Carrotsticks

So that skill comes with experience? Do you need to be mathematically gifted with so many qualifications in maths or what?

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
When I refer to "dumb" students I don't mean stupid dumb in that sense that they are senseless crazy idiots who act like maniacs 24/7, I mean they're the lower range of the kids in the sense that they need improvement. And yes I don't need you to explain further Carrotsticks

So that skill comes with experience? Do you need to be mathematically gifted with so many qualifications in maths or what?
Find more specific and clear adjectives.

Wtf are you talking about? lol

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
When I refer to "dumb" students I don't mean stupid dumb in that sense that they are senseless crazy idiots who act like maniacs 24/7, I mean they're the lower range of the kids in the sense that they need improvement. And yes please don't tell me off like how you did that time in that thread when I talked about talent100 and matrix advertising and Terry Lee's son getting a state rank (Terry Lee's an arsehole btw)

Maybe 'weaker students' would be a better term to describe them.

To some degree it comes with experience, yes. But some people just have a knack for explaining things spot on without any experience. You don't necessarily need to be mathematically gifted and be extremely knowledgeable to explain things well.

In actual fact, knowing too much can work against you in terms of how well you can explain things(**).

Sometimes, for the sake of understanding, we need to explain things in a mathematically unjustified or even incorrect way in order to pass on the knowledge more easily. Those who tend to 'know too much' will often hesitate in doing this (as they are aware of it's incorrect-ness) and opt for a more correct but perhaps less palatable explanation. Those who aren't as knowledgeable may be unaware of this and will not hesitate to go all out with the unjustified explanation.

(**) If done properly, knowing 'too much' can work in your favour. Though this is not often the case. Many knowledgeable people find it difficult to identify the line between mathematical correctness/precision and intuition. Sometimes they come hand in hand but often that is not the case.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Maybe 'weaker students' would be a better term to describe them.

To some degree it comes with experience, yes. But some people just have a knack for explaining things spot on without any experience. You don't necessarily need to be mathematically gifted and be extremely knowledgeable to explain things well.

In actual fact, knowing too much can work against you in terms of how well you can explain things(**).

Sometimes, for the sake of understanding, we need to explain things in a mathematically unjustified or even incorrect way in order to pass on the knowledge more easily. Those who tend to 'know too much' will often hesitate in doing this (as they are aware of it's incorrect-ness) and opt for a more correct but perhaps less palatable explanation. Those who aren't as knowledgeable may be unaware of this and will not hesitate to go all out with the unjustified explanation.

(**) If done properly, knowing 'too much' can work in your favour. Though this is not often the case. Many knowledgeable people find it difficult to identify the line between mathematical correctness/precision and intuition. Sometimes they come hand in hand but often that is not the case.
So its more about communication rather than how much you know?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I've seen that when a student has trouble with a difficult concept and a teacher tries to explain it, they can't seem to understand stand it in all sorts of ways but if you look at...say a recent graduate, they would know where the student is exactly coming from given that they went through this state of confusion not too long ago and can somehow explain this concept in a way for the student to understand. If the recent graduate had the knowledge and understood where the student was coming from, but didn't understand how to communicate the concept carefully, would he/she (the graduate) be able to communicate effectively in that sense? (if you get what I mean)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
I've seen that when a student has trouble with a difficult concept and a teacher tries to explain it, they can't seem to understand stand it in all sorts of ways but if you look at...say a recent graduate, they would know where the student is exactly coming from given that they went through this state of confusion not too long ago and can somehow explain this concept in a way for the student to understand. If the recent graduate had the knowledge and understood where the student was coming from, but didn't understand how to communicate the concept carefully, would he/she (the graduate) be able to communicate effectively in that sense? (if you get what I mean)
The notion of relatability is a significant issue in education. Being able to step into the shoes of the student can make for a very good teacher.

ccxy

HSC
N/A
Kurt seems really popular. I think Dr Du would be better for you since they do offer 2U maths but it's really expensive
I went to kurt and i go to dr du now and dr du is actually cheaper than kurt!

Last edited:

ninjia

HSC
N/A
im taking the kurt entrance exam soon and m in year 10, just wondering what content i should revise before then. Thankyou!!

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
im taking the kurt entrance exam soon and m in year 10, just wondering what content i should revise before then. Thankyou!!
Try the ngo and sons entrance exam and/or the Dr Du exam

ninjia

HSC
N/A
where can i find the ngo and sons entrance exam and/or the Dr Du exam. Im new to this coaching thing

wenq

HSC
Hated the place.This was back in year 10 and I felt like I was in a detention center. Admittedly, it's the only coaching place I've tried (because my maths back then was consistently below average) and I could not stand it. Probably depends on the person though, since a lot of my peers attend - they have good grasp of the content, though sadly class time is wasted since it's all old news by then.

Honestly, never touched a coaching place again (esp. those run by 'asian' principles) and I'm consistently above average. There's really no need to subject yourself to this sort of environment if you can do all your classwork/homework and understand the concepts.

salinna

HSC
N/A
Kurt doesn't have a qualification in teaching. (At least, I'm not aware that he does)
He has a master's degree in Mathematics and he has a master's degree in physics and originally he is from Hong Kong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)