Can they do this?? (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Im currently moving from year 11 to year 12 and have heard news of our 2 3U maths classes being cut down to 1.
Leading, inevitably to me being kicked down to 2U which i really dont want as NOONE in 2U passed their exam and im happy in the class im in now. I just spent too long studying for other subjects i enjoy more as opposed to 24/7 maths study like most others.
Anyway.
My question is, can they kick me out of a course even if im going badly in it?
Im still passing 2U exams and not going too badly in 3U ones... just not as well as others.
Is there a Board of Studies ruling on this?

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Dont cross post.

But really, i'm not sure. If your maths staff want to, they probably can. You can always complain.
Ultimately the subjects that you want to do are your choice.

LadyMoon

HSC
i dont think they can....

If they are going to kick you, they wont exactly say: "We are kicking you out cause you are dumb!", but will use euphemisms and say "We advise that you do mathemmatics instead of Extension 1, because it is in your best interest and capabilites."

If you are going to get kicked......what i suggest you do is go and speak a little "Law" talk and they will have to keep you in the class.

But I tell you: It did happen in our school. They actually said by the end of last year that if you want to do 4u then you must have got over 75% in your 3u.

Call and ask the Board.

Last edited:
N

ND

At Ruse they have a limit of like 70 or something, and anyone who isn't in the top 70 isn't allowed to do 4u (i think that's how it works), so yeh i think they can do that.

is a roflcopter
HSC
they cant kick you out if you only have 10 units
but the thing is, if you arnt going too good in maths2u then doing 3unit might not be a good idea anyway

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by ND
At Ruse they have a limit of like 70 or something, and anyone who isn't in the top 70 isn't allowed to do 4u (i think that's how it works), so yeh i think they can do that.

same at girra.. top 48 students get to do 4 unit maths...

Originally posted by Newbie
they cant kick you out if you only have 10 units
thats what some people in my 4 unit class did.. they were on trial and they dropped another subject so they puposely could do 4 unit... theyre doing not so well though...

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Yeah but the thing is im not picking up an ext. like 4U. Im just trying to continue on with the same course ive been doing for the past 3 terms.
And also, Half the shit that weve done this year 2U do next year.
Which would be a big waste of time.

Oh.. And sorry bout cross post. :p

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Whinge and whinge and whinge until you get what you want.... that's my advice... if you have whingey parents, drag them up to the school to complain... are you at a private or public? If you are at a private go on about how you pay your fees to do this course blah blah blah.... as if your yr 11 results mean anything... I came near the bottom in yr 11 chem and came first in yr 12 chem.....

Affinity

HSC
those schools should be grateful that their students are so enthusiastic.

With me encouraging all my friends last year, only 2 joined extension 2

Kent_Cadarn

At our school of about 150 yr 12s, about 60 started in ext 1 maths in yr 11, thats now 17, they encouraged ppl to drop but they can't make you.
My teacher put a limit of something like 90% for people to do 4 unit, 6 people started off (despite not getting 90%) under the provisor that they don't drop another subject, which is fair enough, there are now 4, 3 of whom are within 0.3 of a mark.

Last edited:

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
Originally posted by ND
a bit more, 4 classes this year. They want to ensure that people who do 4U is capable of it since some people may be struggling with it. Although 4U is scaled quite well but doing badly in 4U won't get you anywhere either, just like in any other courses. So I think sometimes having limits is a sensible thing to do. This is implemented in quite a few schools a hear.

I suppose it'd be the same for 3U. So my suggestion is you weigh it down yourself... do you think you can handle the 3U course work? The only reasons i can think of cutting down classes are either there is a shortage of teacher or they feel that some students might be struggling in 3U and be better off in 2U. But my personal view is that having two 3 unit classes sounds fair, if there are that many ppl who want to do it. So if you really want to do 3U and you feel you can handle it well with some study, go tell their ass off... as someone mentioned previously, do a bit of "law talk".

Kent_Cadarn

Yeah there are like 3300 ppl doing 4u about 5% up from about 2% a couple of years ago. Either ppl have gotten smarter, the course has gotten easier or more people aren't doing so well.

ricenoodles

HSC
Originally posted by Kent_Cadarn
Yeah there are like 3300 ppl doing 4u about 5% up from about 2% a couple of years ago. Either ppl have gotten smarter, the course has gotten easier or more people aren't doing so well.
at my school...its more like "more people aren't doing so well"...but my school's 4u is relatively pathetic. the top 10 pass...the bottom 10 all fail. And a couple of the ppl in the class "got permission from their parents" to do 4u....when they're clearly struggling to do 3u...

SXC_DRAGON_BOY

Been A While
HSC
at my skool, i wanted to do 4 unit maths, but the teacher advised me that i would be good enough lalalala....
he called up my parents and everything. in the end, he said he would put me on trial and c how i go... i decided to drop business which i despised during that time. he got pissed at me for doing that saying he wouldnt know if i would be good enough for 4 unit. in my first test i came 1st with a raw mark of 64%, after that he said questioned my ability eva again. i ended with an overall assessment mark of 85% scaled. which i know i wont get in the hsc due to not studying.

sorry, had nothing to do with this thread.

i think u shouldnt be doing 3 unit maths if ur failing, theres no really good use for it, i understand that u dont wanna move down due to the reason of non passing 2 unit maths students. i think all u can do is complain about it, or even worst just beg to stay or prove ur still worthy to be in that class.

parry

lol our 3 unit class is 16 people and our 4 unit is only 4 people. We dont have problems like this

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL I know but I meant when they were at school, how many students got into extension 1 in both English and math
The point is that someone who posted here 16 years ago probably isn't around to give you an answer.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
How the hell do people even dredge up these threads?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)