Mathematics Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

flowerp

HSC
N/A
For the rate of change question, are we meant to have the negative in the answer like -365 leaves/day. I wrote decreasing at a rate of 365 leaves/day
That is correct - both decreasing at 365 etc. And rate of change=-365 etc are right. You only lose marks if you use a double negative, ie write decreasing at -365 :)

alussovsky

HSC
for the national park question part ii, i completely missed out on the whole D^2 part of "show that x=2 is a minimum for D^2" aNd fREAKING DIFFERENTIATED D RATHER THAN D^2. i wanted to punch myself after i wrote "x=2 is a minimum for D, therefore it is a minimum for D^2"

flowerp

HSC
N/A
NOOOOOO, I forgot to discard the negative 2 for the log question!!!
OMG SAME ! I used the rule e^lna = a instead of logging etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello288292

HSC
NOOOOOO, I forgot to discard the negative 2 for the log question!!!
OMG SAME ! I used the rule e^lna = a instead of logging etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Omg SAME I was so close to leaving it there but I when I was checking my answer, it gave a math error and I'm like crap I have to discard it

Saturday

HSC
I'm going to let the tutoring centres do Q14 and before, but (c) is probably the hardest question in 14, so here's one possible solution:

Triangle AFE is isosceles because AF = FE (regular hexagon). Angle sum of a hexagon = (n-2)180 = 4*180 = 720. Again, it's a regular hexagon so angle AFE = 720/6 = 120. Therefore angle FEA = (180 - 120)/2 = 30 (base angles of an isosceles triangle are equal). So angle AED = 120 - 30 = 90 (adjacent angles). Therefore angle XED = 90 as well (adjacent angles on a straight line). So XED is a right triangle.

That means we can use right angle trig in XED. tan(angle DXE) = DE/EX = 1/EX. But also, angle DXE = angle FAE (alternate angles, AF || CX due to the symmetry of the regular hexagon). And angle FAE = 30 degrees (it's the other base angle of the isosceles triangle AFE). So tan30 = 1/EX; that is, 1/sqrt(3) = 1/EX. So EX = sqrt(3).

HSC
That is correct - both decreasing at 365 etc. And rate of change=-365 etc are right. You only lose marks if you use a double negative, ie write decreasing at -365 :)
Yep! I confirmed this with a teacher who marks the HSC and he said both would receive the full mark

Saturday

HSC
I would have probably skipped 14(c) if I was sitting the exam and come back to it at the end... it took me a lot of time to come up with that solution! And this is coming from someone who got 100% in his HSC for Maths Extension 1.

anerd

HSC
I would have probably skipped 14(c) if I was sitting the exam and come back to it at the end... it took me a lot of time to come up with that solution! And this is coming from someone who got 100% in his HSC for Maths Extension 1.
Can you please do MCQ?

HSC
This is how I did it (attached). It was definitely tricky but I stared at it during reading time and it somehow clicked

Attachments

Saturday

HSC
I think these are the answers to the MCQ. I thought they were kind of tricky for a 2U paper. Sorry, no working:
  1. B
  2. D
  3. B
  4. C
  5. A
  6. C
  7. D
  8. C
  9. A
  10. B

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)