Biology Exam Thoughts (1 Viewer)

worldno17

HSC
N/A
Same but 20 I got A and 18 B cause I stupidly scrambled and changed it from D
Hm, I got B for Q18 as well - since isn't that the definition of a positive feedback loop? Why do yall think that B is wrong?

Also, for Q14, I took the given DNA sequence as the coding strand (as it said the DNA strand *codes*), so the mRNA has the same sequence (with T replaced with U) and tRNA complementary to mRNA - so I landed on A.

Last edited:

大きい男

HSC
Hm, I got B for Q18 as well - since isn't that the definition of a positive feedback loop? Why do yall think that B is wrong?
My reasoning for D is that the detection of the fetus acts as the stimulus, which causes oxytocin to be released, which then causes the stimulus and thus another iteration of the loop. If oxytocin results in more oxytocin were true it would really be a feedback loop.

大きい男

HSC
Does anyone have the copy pf the bio test?
It’s now on the NESA website

Also, for Q14, I took the given DNA sequence as the coding strand (as it said the DNA strand *codes*), so the mRNA has the same sequence (with T replaced with U) and tRNA complementary to mRNA - so I landed on A.
I assumed that “DNA base sequence is used to code for a sequence of four amino acids” to mean the mRNA gets transcribed from that particular strand (so it is complementary to the given DNA except with uracil) and then the tRNA anticodons are complementary to the mRNA, so the answer would be the one that is the original sequence with uracil instead of thymine.

worldno17

HSC
N/A
It’s now on the NESA website

I assumed that “DNA base sequence is used to code for a sequence of four amino acids” to mean the mRNA gets transcribed from that particular strand (so it is complementary to the given DNA except with uracil) and then the tRNA anticodons are complementary to the mRNA, so the answer would be the one that is the original sequence with uracil instead of thymine.
Hm...could really go either way. Since you took it as the non-coding strand but I took it as the coding strand.

大きい男

HSC
What did everyone do for the 3 marker on an example of a mechanism of xerophytic adaptation? I wrote about CAM metabolism because it was the only one I could think of that is actually a mechanism rather than a structural adaptation. But I’m starting to think that the question wanted you to describe the mechanism of an adaptation rather than an adaptation which is a mechanism.

fet

HSC
What did everyone do for the 3 marker on an example of a mechanism of xerophytic adaptation? I wrote about CAM metabolism because it was the only one I could think of that is actually a mechanism rather than a structural adaptation. But I’m starting to think that the question wanted you to describe the mechanism of an adaptation rather than an adaptation which is a mechanism.
you mean that plant adaptation one? sorry I don't remember much from the exam
I spoke about banksias (Australian example) and how they have woody fruits, so that when they fall naturally or during bushfires, a good deal of water isn't lost. obviously there's more to it than that
also I think you're like overthinking the adaptation/mechanism thing.
"In evolutionary theory, adaptation is the biological mechanism by which organisms adjust to new environments or to changes in their current environment." adaptation and mechanism are synonymous so it doesn't matter if you spoke about something structural or physiological.
if you simply stated any adaptation of a named plant and described it, you'll get 3 marks : ) you should be fine

Munti

92.25 ATAR! hmu for tutoring :) im cheap
HSC
you mean that plant adaptation one? sorry I don't remember much from the exam
I spoke about banksias (Australian example) and how they have woody fruits, so that when they fall naturally or during bushfires, a good deal of water isn't lost. obviously there's more to it than that
also I think you're like overthinking the adaptation/mechanism thing.
"In evolutionary theory, adaptation is the biological mechanism by which organisms adjust to new environments or to changes in their current environment." adaptation and mechanism are synonymous so it doesn't matter if you spoke about something structural or physiological.
if you simply stated any adaptation of a named plant and described it, you'll get 3 marks : ) you should be fine
it didn't ask for a named plant tho?

Munti

92.25 ATAR! hmu for tutoring :) im cheap
HSC
It didn't directly ask for a specific plant in the question, but I think it's a good idea to use an example for a 3 mark describe question.
is it possible to get full marks without naming a specific plant?

大きい男

HSC
is it possible to get full marks without naming a specific plant?
Hard to say for sure, but what else could the three marks be for?
(1) - Identify an adaptation
(1) - Example? or maybe a reason why plants need to maintain water?
(1) - Describe how it assists in maintaining water
Look, I wouldn't be hopeful for 3 marks if you didn't have an example, but you could definitely get 2.

fet

HSC
sorry people don't stress, the q didn't say to give an example
I just thought if you're describing an adaptation it makes sense to state which plant corresponds with it but yea idk it depends on the criteria

jskeza

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
I don't do Biology but I would like to know how useful the NESA additional/sample questions were (the 89-page document and the sample paper they give) for those of you who did both of them.
Thanks in advance!

ABBAS38

HSC
NESA can't make bio exams... does not reward hard work and effort studying content.
No its not that. Its just who ever wrote this exam, i think they had Alzheimer's and dementia and they forgot the whole core of the syllabus in terms of content and i think they had a low lactose metabolism or what ever and they spent their time making punnet squares on shitty plant seeds and chicken feathers

Sn_akr08

HSC
Hey guys,
I don't do Biology but I would like to know how useful the NESA additional/sample questions were (the 89-page document and the sample paper they give) for those of you who did both of them.
Thanks in advance!
personally, uselessssss especially in regards to the actual HSC

大きい男

HSC
Hey guys,
Thanks in advance!
Not useful in terms of simulating the type of questions we could've expected

ABBAS38

HSC
Read at own risk lol!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)