Atar Estimate (1 Viewer)

Adamconnor12

HSC
Entering year 12, wondering how I would have gone if this was my hsc marks.

My school is ranked 59th

First assesment/second/prelims/rank in last test

English Adv - 80%/95%/100%/ 1/212

English Ext -88%/90%/92%/somewhere in top ten/ 60

Math Adv - 76%/94%/65%/ no idea

Maths Ext - 95%/65%/43%/no idea

Legal Studies - 95%/100%/89%/ 2/47

Ancient History -80%/84%/96%/ 1/39

Studies of Religion - 98%/91%/95%/1/16

Im dropping all maths this year and picking up Ext 2 English

_rakelt

HSC
Yeah id say 90+ atar , but when yr 12 hits, everything gets quite competitive and you'll be in for a surprise

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Aren't you guys literally finger in the air guessing here given the limited data available, and there being no real sense of comparable relativity?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Aren't you guys literally finger in the air guessing here given the limited data available, and there being no real sense of comparable relativity?
Welcome to the professional field of BoS atar estimating.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Welcome to the professional field of BoS atar estimating.
There used to be a web based app back in my day to do it (on BoS) and whilst it was reasonably accurate for me (<0.5 points different), that was when I used the already adjusted marks from my final results letter rather than my internal pre-scaled/pre-moderated school marks.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
There used to be a web based app back in my day to do it (on BoS) and whilst it was reasonably accurate for me (<0.5 points different), that was when I used the already adjusted marks from my final results letter rather than my internal pre-scaled/pre-moderated school marks.
Those are a bit different as they are based off actual HSC marks, which is far more of a science than pre-HSC estimations as there are standardised marks and scaling data to go off. Those apps still exist, but the BoS one (SAM) went stale back in the days of UAI afaik -- multiple tutoring companies offer good ones with nice visualisations however.

What's happening here is closer to what a year advisor at a school does for students, but with less data than a year advisor has access to. With that being said, back in 2011 one of the more active ATAR estimators managed to estimate my ATAR (from a rank ~200 school) to within 0.05 ATAR with final ranks but prior to the HSC. Year adivsor only really got +- 5.00.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Someone should just make an official thread where people can post their school ranking, internal ranks, final hsc marks, and final ATAR. That way, BoS will have a database that future students can use so that there's none of this handwavy guessing that's constantly going on.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What's happening here is closer to what a year advisor at a school does for students, but with less data than a year advisor has access to. With that being said, back in 2011 one of the more active ATAR estimators managed to estimate my ATAR (from a rank ~200 school) to within 0.05 ATAR with final ranks but prior to the HSC. Year adivsor only really got +- 5.00.
I remember at my school the YA and principal was reluctant to give individual estimates and instead would only quote that the median UAI (at the time) was 97.5. I think for those applying for certain scholarships/courses, the principal would provide something more specific if required but it wasn't allowed to be discussed or publicised (not applicable to me so I didn't know).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Someone should just make an official thread where people can post their school ranking, internal ranks, final hsc marks, and final ATAR. That way, BoS will have a database that future students can use so that there's none of this handwavy guessing that's constantly going on.
Doesn't it change year on year though? I feel that ATAR/UAI estimates are so inaccurate anyway that they either create more anxiety, or a false sense of security encouraging complacency. Just focus on doing your best and go from there.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Doesn't it change year on year though? I feel that ATAR/UAI estimates are so inaccurate anyway that they either create more anxiety, or a false sense of security encouraging complacency. Just focus on doing your best and go from there.
Yeh it would change year to year, but at least it would serve as some sort of benchmark for people to compare against. Right now it's just hocus pocus here's your estimate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)