Japanese Beginners or Chemistry? (1 Viewer)

vivillon

HSC
Helloo, so my subject selections are soon for year 12 and I'm deciding between Japanese Beginners and Chemistry for my last subject. I did worse in Chemistry than I did Japanese however I'm just worried about scaling.
PLEASE HELP I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO :(

My other subjects are:
English Extension 2
Maths Standard
Economics
Design and Technology
(Japanese Beginners or Chemistry)
Total: 12 Units

Minaaa

HSC
Dont worry too much about scaling. If you really like Japanese and think you'll be motivated to do really well in year 12, then keep it. It's the same for chem, but for now, keep both and drop one of em next year if you want to cuz the content will be different.

Angelictally

HSC
Hey I was in a similar position before in choosing subjects one with a lower scaling and the other with higher scaling. I ended up choosing the higher scaling one because I knew I could improve in Year 12 and I needed a high ATAR for the degree I wanted to do. In terms of the scaling chemistry does scale better so if you know you can improve in Year 12 then it could be beneficial to your Atar. But at the same time if you're confident you are on track to get like a high mark e.g. band 6 in Japanese although it scales lower then the effects won't matter as much. Maybe play around with an ATAR calculator to see how the scaling compares.

As minaaa said above you should wait till you have a look at the subjects content in Year 12 for a few weeks if that's possible at your school, before making a decision as Year 11 marks don't really mean much to Year 12 as the content is different for chemistry. I did chem and in Year 11 I had only 65-75% but in Year 12 I was able to improve to 85% so getting a high band 5 or band 6 is still achievable with a poor year 11 result.

But what you first need to think about is what kind of degree do you want to go into. If you're undecided on that then keeping chemistry will likely keep more degree options open versus Japanese as it can be used in more degrees

maaax

HSC
N/A
If you're receiving high marks in Japanese Beginners and you really enjoy it and know you can do well, then I would recommend keeping that! However, do keep in mind that Beginners courses do scale a lot less than subjects like Chemistry.

This would also depend on what you plan on doing after you graduate? If you're looking to go into Science for university, I'd definitely recommend keeping chemistry.

Talent 100 is hosting a seminar and Q&A session for the HSC Science subjects, it'd be worth going along and asking them how you could improve for chemistry as well as how the scaling would work eventbrite.com.au/e/117613811075

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)