Usyd commerce or mq applied finance/economics (1 Viewer)

yooook

HSC
don't know which one to do.

+

how EZ is it to transfer from Macquarie 1st year to Usyd comm 2nd year?

quickoats

HSC
MQ Applied finance is pretty good from what I've heard. The program gets you some credits for the CFA if that's what you're looking into.

Regarding transferring into USyd after 1st year, you will need a decent WAM - it would be at least 75. Whether this is hard for you to achieve or not is up to you. However, you probably won't yeet straight into 2nd year. The MQ commerce curriculum is quite different to USyd so more than likely, you will start in year one. Maybe they'll waive half of yr 1 requirements but it really depends on what you units you take in MQ and what units you want to take in USyd.

If you want to ask any questions about MQ pm me.

Vultrahd

HSC
Macquarie isnt g08, no one will hire a peasant. Anyone from USYD is automatically more desirable.

yooook

HSC
very close to mq, 1 hour 30min from usyd

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Have you checked out the campus?

What major are you planning to do?

What kind of jobs were you considering doing in the future?

yooook

HSC
not to sure on majors, wanna go into consulting, investment banking, hedge fund etc etc

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd probably lean towards USYD if you are after Investment Banking.

You'll need to maintain a high WAM (i.e HD) and do heaps of extracurricular.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Isn't mq pretty decent for finance? The travel times also carry a lot of weight. Students tend to avoid mq and prefer usyd/unsw due to prestige, but honestly employers don't really care. In the end, it's the other parts of your CV that'll make you stand out, not the uni u went to (as long as the uni is decent, which I'm pretty sure mq is in finance). You save 2-3h everyday on travel time, just imagine what you can do with that. You get better sleep, less stress, better eating options at macq centre, and overall just better mental health. Most of my friends (who have graduated) wished they chose mq instead.

quickoats

HSC
^^ being able to have lunch/dinner at Macquarie centre is a lifesaver - cheap and so much more choice than like UNSW

Travel is actually quite important as it changes your experience. I had a long commute to MQ so that’s why I wasn’t enjoying it as much (especially cos I had a 4 day timetable) but if your travel is reasonable you should have a good time :)

yooook

HSC
Isn't mq pretty decent for finance? The travel times also carry a lot of weight. Students tend to avoid mq and prefer usyd/unsw due to prestige, but honestly employers don't really care. In the end, it's the other parts of your CV that'll make you stand out, not the uni u went to (as long as the uni is decent, which I'm pretty sure mq is in finance). You save 2-3h everyday on travel time, just imagine what you can do with that. You get better sleep, less stress, better eating options at macq centre, and overall just better mental health. Most of my friends (who have graduated) wished they chose mq instead.
^^ being able to have lunch/dinner at Macquarie centre is a lifesaver - cheap and so much more choice than like UNSW

Travel is actually quite important as it changes your experience. I had a long commute to MQ so that’s why I wasn’t enjoying it as much (especially cos I had a 4 day timetable) but if your travel is reasonable you should have a good time :)
thanks guys :)

i am leaning to go to Macquarie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)