Modern or business? advanced or standard math? helpp!!! (1 Viewer)

nubee1233

HSC
I personally suggest you stick with Advanced just because it scales really well (relative to Standard) and considering you may be able to pull 70's and 80's, I personally believe you will find Standard a bore. My school doesn't offer Standard Maths but from what I've seen it is basically the equivalent of Yr 7 and 8 maths.
oh okkkk i just dont wanna regret not dropping if i end up with 80s

vishnay

God
HSC
oh okkkk i just dont wanna regret not dropping if i end up with 80s
80s in Advanced is fine and think about prerequisites for courses you want to do in Uni, a lot of courses and some Unis require you to do Advanced Maths. In fact, you have to do Adv. Maths to go to Usyd, so before you drop Adv. for Standard consider prerequisites and scaling.

EDIT: Usyd just has a B4 Advanced Maths prerequisite for a NUMBER of the courses they offer.

Last edited:

nubee1233

HSC
80s in Advanced is fine and think about prerequisites for courses you want to do in Uni, a lot of courses and some Unis require you to do Advanced Maths. In fact, you have to do Adv. Maths to go to Usyd, so before you drop Adv. for Standard consider prerequisites and scaling.
so theres no way they accept you unless you do the prerequisite or is it just assumed knowledge

vishnay

God
HSC
so theres no way they accept you unless you do the prerequisite or is it just assumed knowledge
I believe you would have to apply and enrol in a course without a maths prerequisite and then transfer after completing the required level of maths in the first year.

nubee1233

HSC
I believe you would have to apply and enrol in a course without a maths prerequisite and then transfer after completing the required level of maths in the first year.
oh okk you're so lucky you know how to do maths full doing ex2 wtfff soooo smart ahhhhhh

vishnay

God
HSC
oh okk you're so lucky you know how to do maths full doing ex2 wtfff soooo smart ahhhhhh
If you're not good at Maths btw and you find you do a lot better in your other subjects you're not 'dumb' for dropping from Advanced to Standard. You're also not 'dumb' if you don't do Maths or you're simply bad at it, despite the comments that suggest you are echoing through high-performing schools.

turtle67

HSC
Yeah like everyone said above I reckon keep with advanced, your scores are good anyway for advanced. Also with advanced you can pretty much just learn the methods for questions and then you'll be sweet.

Also I would recommend keeping business over modern, probably just because I prefer it (I do both), and business you can just sort of learn the syllabus and you'll be sweet whereas modern there is a very broad range of stuff you can learn but that's just personal preference. I think if you're interested in the subject you'll be inclined to do more work so ultimately do the one you're more interested in.

nubee1233

HSC
If you're not good at Maths btw and you find you do a lot better in your other subjects you're not 'dumb' for dropping from Advanced to Standard. You're also not 'dumb' if you don't do Maths or you're simply bad at it, despite the comments that suggest you are echoing through high-performing schools.
lmao wise words. very true, i want to sort of continue adv for one term and see if i like the content since the first task is an assignment but 30 student went from advanced to standard in my school so id be competing against ex which is just great

nubee1233

HSC
Yeah like everyone said above I reckon keep with advanced, your scores are good anyway for advanced. Also with advanced you can pretty much just learn the methods for questions and then you'll be sweet.

Also I would recommend keeping business over modern, probably just because I prefer it (I do both), and business you can just sort of learn the syllabus and you'll be sweet whereas modern there is a very broad range of stuff you can learn but that's just personal preference. I think if you're interested in the subject you'll be inclined to do more work so ultimately do the one you're more interested in.
yh i was thinking of keeping bus but we got the shittest teachers that mark harshly when they barely teach jack shit which is my problem but modern there a teacher who will actually help you improve but i dont knwo about the content for modern

turtle67

HSC
yh i was thinking of keeping bus but we got the shittest teachers that mark harshly when they barely teach jack shit which is my problem but modern there a teacher who will actually help you improve but i dont knwo about the content for modern
Yeah well that's what alignment (I think that's the name of it) is for, so it will take care of the harsh marking. My business teacher doesn't really teach me a lot but I just learn it in my own time as the content is pretty straight forward, there's just a fair bit of it. Modern is also pretty content heavy and a lot more essay based but it is always good to have a teacher who will help you improve :/. That's what made it tough for me when dropping, my modern teacher is great and my chem one is insanely bad but I'm just not interested in modern so decided to drop it :/

What subject's content are you more interested in? It can also depend of what topics your school has chosen in modern so make sure you know what they are and if you're interested in them.

nubee1233

HSC
Yeah well that's what alignment (I think that's the name of it) is for, so it will take care of the harsh marking. My business teacher doesn't really teach me a lot but I just learn it in my own time as the content is pretty straight forward, there's just a fair bit of it. Modern is also pretty content heavy and a lot more essay based but it is always good to have a teacher who will help you improve :/. That's what made it tough for me when dropping, my modern teacher is great and my chem one is insanely bad but I'm just not interested in modern so decided to drop it :/

What subject's content are you more interested in? It can also depend of what topics your school has chosen in modern so make sure you know what they are and if you're interested in them.
theyve chosen conflict in europe china and i cant remeber th eother i think communism or soemthing like that.im already doing legal studies so ill probs drop bus so i dont have two social sceince

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)