'One of the hardest exams I've come across': New maths common content splits HSC students (1 Viewer)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Doesn't really seem all that bad to me. In fact this was probably necessary so that they don't have like 20 people tied 1st in the state for Standard Maths like last year.

Fabrizio

HSC
Doesn't really seem all that bad to me. In fact this was probably necessary so that they don't have like 20 people tied 1st in the state for Standard Maths like last year.
I dont understand what they are so upset about. That was the point. Its fairer to allow the standard students who really know what they are doing to answer those hard questions (weren't even hard) then just scale everyone in standard down and have the same difficulty test as previous years

quickoats

HSC
I don’t understand the complaints about “advanced content being put into standard” - isn’t it the other way around? with advanced now getting a bunch of topics from standard maths

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Question 34 is probably the one that got people. The wording is a lot more like something you would see in Advanced. Other than that all the questions are similar to the sample questions given by NESA.

mmmm.

HSC
I think the main issue was that almost half of the exam consisted of longer questions/application questions, whereas in most of the trial papers there would be around 2-3 application questions

jojosiwa123

HSC
I honestly think this was the right way to go for nesa... haven't literacy and numeracy levels been dropping to record lows or something in recent years?? although I feel so bad for my friends in standard who may be affected by this...plenty of people have put in the work and could do those questions. scaling will sort this all out anyways though so I don't see what schools are complaining about?

quickoats

HSC
I honestly think this was the right way to go for nesa... haven't literacy and numeracy levels been dropping to record lows or something in recent years?? although I feel so bad for my friends in standard who may be affected by this...plenty of people have put in the work and could do those questions. scaling will sort this all out anyways though so I don't see what schools are complaining about?
It was well within the scope of the syllabus although sorta difficult... I guess this was NESA trying to assert that the new Standard Maths is not a place to scoop up free marks. I like how its mirrors the relationship between advanced and standard English (although hopefully they dole out a lot more band 6s than they give to st eng)

HSC
Of course students wouldn't mind...if there was some sort of heads up. Unlike advanced students, who got the, quote on quote, easiest exam they've had in years. Standard students who weren't taught concepts like regression line and all the other crap, aren't too lucky, don't you think?

Maybe after a change in the way teachers teach, sure! Or maybe more exposure to such questions? Or maybe during a more stable year? Yh, great. But wrong time, with zero to none warning, no preparation for current students.

HSC
Aite so basically, NESA, decided that since EVERYONE is already equally disadvantaged, then we might as well disadvantage them even more, for the sake of future years, getting a feel if this new Standard Maths...

Yeah sounds about right. 😂

Idrc honestly. What's done is done and other than those few questions, all was good.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Of course students wouldn't mind...if there was some sort of heads up. Unlike advanced students, who got the, quote on quote, easiest exam they've had in years. Standard students who weren't taught concepts like regression line and all the other crap, aren't too lucky, don't you think?

Maybe after a change in the way teachers teach, sure! Or maybe more exposure to such questions? Or maybe during a more stable year? Yh, great. But wrong time, with zero to none warning, no preparation for current students.
If students weren't taught it is not NESA's fault really. Regression line is very clearly mentioned in the Standard Math syllabus. Not only is it in the glossary but it says students must use/investigate regression lines in the context of data. Basically everything NESA asks is in the syllabus. People always brush off smaller concepts thinking they probably wont matter. Most likely they were taught to everyone but a lot of people just forgot or didn't bother to revisit in depth.

Regardless if it is the hardest Standard exam ever everyone will be taken care of by Scaling and what not so don't worry too much about it.

HSC
If students weren't taught it is not NESA's fault really. Regression line is very clearly mentioned in the Standard Math syllabus. Not only is it in the glossary but it says students must use/investigate regression lines in the context of data. Basically everything NESA asks is in the syllabus. People always brush off smaller concepts thinking they probably wont matter. Most likely they were taught to everyone but a lot of people just forgot/didn't bother to revisit in depth.

Regardless if it is the hardest Standard exam ever everyone will be taken care of by Scaling and what not so don't worry too much about it.
Hmmm true that. I guess its bcs it was more on the application side of things, similarly to bio, and seemingly NESA's goal (with all the syllabus changes and what not).

P.S I just realised we were taught regression line, I think we (/I) used this other term, can't remember it too well tho. 😓

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmmm true that. I guess its bcs it was more on the application side of things, similarly to bio, and seemingly NESA's goal (with all the syllabus changes and what not).

P.S I just realised we were taught regression line, I think we (/I) used this other term, can't remember it too well tho. 😓
It seems everyone was unprepared for there to be a lot of 'application' type questions. Anyway it's best to look forward and do your best for your upcoming exams. Seems like everyone was equally unprepared so it's best to forget the past for now and look forward to finishing the HSC!

Fabrizio

HSC
Nobody complains about the questions that go way beyond the syllabus and combine multiple topics in one question in ex1 and ex2 exams. Australia has worse numeracy levels then third world countries its about time they start challenging the kids that choose standard math, english, business studies and the other basic subjects. Go look at the stats, all the hard subjects are falling in enrollment (ex1 and ex2 maths, physics and chem) and business studies and community studies etc are rising because they aren't challenging

Reactions: c8

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Nobody complains about the questions that go way beyond the syllabus and combine multiple topics in one question in ex1 and ex2 exams. Australia has worse numeracy levels then third world countries its about time they start challenging the kids that choose standard math, english, business studies and the other basic subjects. Go look at the stats, all the hard subjects are falling in enrollment (ex1 and ex2 maths, physics and chem) and business studies and community studies etc are rising because they aren't challenging
To be fair in a lot of these countries subjects like Standard Maths don’t even exist. Like almost everyone is doing Ext 1 and 2 level Maths as opposed to here where it’s not that many.

Plus these countries also have Science subjects that are REAL science and require higher levels of Maths. Unlike the dumb HSC which in Physics would rather have students write essays and then have them marked as if they’re marking an English paper with no regard to problem solving or critical thinking...

HSC

wait did people think the adv exam was the easiest exam they've had in years?!? well i'm fked then cause it was not straightforward to me at all rip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)