German Continuers: Will I find the course easy or hard? (1 Viewer)

sophieecam

HSC
I am a year 10 student who is going into year 11 next year and I recently found out that I was accepted into the German Continuers Course, and I was wondering how much content there is and if I will find the course easy because my mums German and she taught me German from a young age. I can speak German (almost) fluently and I can understand everything I hear, my reading is pretty good and my writing is decent, but the thing is I haven't ever really learned about the different rules and the German grammar (Which I understand you do a lot of in the continuers course?).
So, do you guys think that I will find the course easy? Or struggle because I dont really know anything about the rules and grammar?

All answers appreciated! Thank you :)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Since your spoken German is good and you can understand everything you hear, that means you will most likely have no difficulty in getting great marks in the listening and speaking components. You also mentioned that you can read well, which also means you are potentially capable of doing well in the reading section. Grammar is indeed explored in Continuers language courses and you will mainly need that when you are required to answer a particular question/stimulus in the target language (which in your case is German).

If you can improve your grammar you will basically have a high chance of smashing the course.

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
You might be ok but you might also be disadvantaged, depends on what continuers is in German. In Russian everyone in my class already knew Russian and everybody spoke Russian at home with their parents from birth and some ppl used to live in Russia/Ukraine, everybody also had very good handwriting and had no problem with pronouncing stuff/reading because they were completely fluent.

In that kind of class you would be disadvantaged imo. In the exams I've done - you don't need to know the rules from the exercises and as long as you can do the questions you can do really well but the questions were often quite hard because they need to be hard enough for native speakers and not people just learning the basics of the language.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)