Recovering from a very bad result. (1 Viewer)

idkkdi

HSC
But in most schools trials are weighted 40% or so, our school is retarded, so we weight trials pretty much like the assessment I just fucked up then. So in my case would I have to totally obliterate everyone in trials or hope they bomb it whilst I do well as well to get a better rank? (I know rank doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things cuz it all gets moderated and whatnot, but considering our school isn't the best, and because we get so few b6s, AND because I feel like our cohort is significantly weaker than most, rank would really matter for me)
nah, it was a weighting change by nesa for trials. basically the trials decides-it-all mentality has been messed.

VeryBoredOfStudies

HSC
educationstandards.nsw.edu.au/wps/portal/nesa/11-12/Understanding-the-curriculum/assessment
I see. Capped at 30%. Is that really gonna be enforced in top schools? It's pretty stupid to be valuing a take-home task, for example, to be as important as something which mimics the HSC

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I think the intent is that students are not overly taught to do HSC style exams in Year 12 because that would be a very narrow way to learn and assess a subject, not to mention it unfairly favours those who just rote learn the theory.

For example, in Chemistry you shouldn’t be just learning how to do exam questions for assessments. Practical and research tasks should have some material weighting in order to achieve some of the syllabus outcomes.

JeydinNewWon

HSC
But in most schools trials are weighted 40% or so, our school is retarded, so we weight trials pretty much like the assessment I just fucked up then. So in my case would I have to totally obliterate everyone in trials or hope they bomb it whilst I do well as well to get a better rank? (I know rank doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things cuz it all gets moderated and whatnot, but considering our school isn't the best, and because we get so few b6s, AND because I feel like our cohort is significantly weaker than most, rank would really matter for me)
The thing is, even if the Trials are worth low, it's still a SUPER high stakes exam. It's a full exam out of 100 that places a lot of pressure on students. Granted, whilst English is split over two days (40 first day and 60 the second), the exams still leave lots of room for error from any student, regardless of how well they are performing currently. These exams are the first time you get a taste of a prolonged period of on-the-spot writing. This is what truly causes the difference in marks.

However, since your school changed the weighting and different from other schools, this effect would be reduced, but it won't change the high stakes nature of the Trials. The fairly same weighting for the Trials to other assessments at your school really means that ranks may change, but if you're currently 11th, then getting higher ranks is DEFINITELY possible since you're just out of reach of top 10, which can easily translate into top 5 or 3. It's all about consistency in your tasks.

And in my school, yes, ranks changed dramatically after the Trials because I just outperformed a lot of students. They grew complacent and inconsistent with their study, so I ended up climbing up in ranks purely because of the difference in performance on the Trials. Granted, I was already highly ranked previously, the Trials allowed me to climb 1-2 ranks higher on average. I ended up getting 1st or 2nd in all my subjects, (however was in a low ranked school, so HSC performance still mattered).

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
I see. Capped at 30%. Is that really gonna be enforced in top schools? It's pretty stupid to be valuing a take-home task, for example, to be as important as something which mimics the HSC
it is enforced at my school lol.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Hey everyone, i just got back my English marks 3 days ago and I've gotten a 15 and a 16, so 31/40. Im feeling very very bad about this. My goals are to get a 92 or 93 for English advanced in the hsc. Usually, for most of my assessments, I've gotten 17s and 18s (from my schools hsc markers) but this was my first HSC assessment and it went really badly. Any advice on how to improve, and what I should do from this point on? I don't think I've never felt this bad about a result ever.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks
Bro, my very bad result was the entire HSC. I have recovered. You will be OK.

VeryBoredOfStudies

HSC
The thing is, even if the Trials are worth low, it's still a SUPER high stakes exam. It's a full exam out of 100 that places a lot of pressure on students. Granted, whilst English is split over two days (40 first day and 60 the second), the exams still leave lots of room for error from any student, regardless of how well they are performing currently. These exams are the first time you get a taste of a prolonged period of on-the-spot writing. This is what truly causes the difference in marks.

However, since your school changed the weighting and different from other schools, this effect would be reduced, but it won't change the high stakes nature of the Trials. The fairly same weighting for the Trials to other assessments at your school really means that ranks may change, but if you're currently 11th, then getting higher ranks is DEFINITELY possible since you're just out of reach of top 10, which can easily translate into top 5 or 3. It's all about consistency in your tasks.

And in my school, yes, ranks changed dramatically after the Trials because I just outperformed a lot of students. They grew complacent and inconsistent with their study, so I ended up climbing up in ranks purely because of the difference in performance on the Trials. Granted, I was already highly ranked previously, the Trials allowed me to climb 1-2 ranks higher on average. I ended up getting 1st or 2nd in all my subjects, (however was in a low ranked school, so HSC performance still mattered).
Hmm fair enough. Do you know if schools align/moderate the internal marks. I was looking at a report of a friends sister and it said they got a 96 in trials, surely that isn't a raw mark? (She went on to get 94 in the HSC, but a 94 HSC mark is around an 89-90 raw mark, so I'm a bit confused)

laterz laterz

HSC
Hmm fair enough. Do you know if schools align/moderate the internal marks. I was looking at a report of a friends sister and it said they got a 96 in trials, surely that isn't a raw mark? (She went on to get 94 in the HSC, but a 94 HSC mark is around an 89-90 raw mark, so I'm a bit confused)
yeah ofc they moderate the marks, but that's only if your whole grade performs well in the HSC

idkkdi

HSC
96 in trials is 96 in trials raw.
it's just hsc marking is sketchier and you can't argue for marks, so raw marks in hsc exams tend to be lower. also, lots of schools have trials which are easier than externals.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
where do you work
I started out doing an arts degree at a university outside of Sydney (low entrance mark requirements - my ATAR was actually terrible and I got in through a very high STAT score and waiting 12 months to go to uni - I'm not sure that this is still an available pathway) did my electives in Commerce, kept a Credit average throughout the course, managed Distinctions or above in the Commerce related subjects (I did drop out of my second semester of first year as I wasn't really convinced uni was for me). Transferred into BComm/BArts, got a job as an undergraduate insolvency accountant where I got work experience whilst completing my degree. Took a graduate position with the same firm and had them pay for a post grad certificate in insolvency law. Was made redundant at the same firm (massive downturn in the industry around this time). Took the first offer I received (because money), which meant moving to Sydney (probably should have been a bit more patient and shopped around for a better fit) left that firm for another one after 12 months - wasn't loving the nature of the work overall around this time. Insolvency can be a pretty negative industry at times and whilst all my bosses were rich, I wasn't exactly looking at any of them thinking that I wanted their lives when I was older. Predominantly divorced, borderline alcoholic white guys.

Looked around at my network of connections from uni, CA and just general social contacts and mentioned I was looking to exit to something different, had a friend working for a global FMCG company at the time who gave me a recommendation for an opening in commercial finance, smashed the interviews for that and then worked there for around 2 years - FP&A and budgeting for some global divisions, some commercial finance work for the domestic Australian market and a couple of other things whilst I was there. My immediate manager left to become head of commercial finance for another company, I completely hated the new manager. Applied for an internal move within the company I was with to transfer into the revenue & pricing team, got blocked by new manager saying it would be too much of a resource drain for her team. Decided to look elsewhere, was recommended for a role at Deloitte by a professional connection and also simultaneously applied to a few revenue and pricing roles with leading companies in the commodities/fuels space.

I ended up with offers from Deloitte (manager level), a large utilities company and a Fuels & Infrastructure business, took the job in Fuels and Infrastructure and now manage pricing for half of the Australian market for that same company.

Tl;dr - I had a pretty terrible time at school, both academically and socially, I now have multiple degrees, two houses and comfortably earn a six figure salary. People who meet me today would probably struggle to believe I did so poorly in my HSC.

It would have been easier/faster if I got a few things right the first time along the way but I'm proof that a setback in what feels like the most important thing in your life when you are 17/18, doesn't have to be an indicator of future success.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I started out doing an arts degree at a university outside of Sydney (low entrance mark requirements - my ATAR was actually terrible and I got in through a very high STAT score and waiting 12 months to go to uni - I'm not sure that this is still an available pathway) did my electives in Commerce, kept a Credit average throughout the course, managed Distinctions or above in the Commerce related subjects (I did drop out of my second semester of first year as I wasn't really convinced uni was for me). Transferred into BComm/BArts, got a job as an undergraduate insolvency accountant where I got work experience whilst completing my degree. Took a graduate position with the same firm and had them pay for a post grad certificate in insolvency law. Was made redundant at the same firm (massive downturn in the industry around this time). Took the first offer I received (because money), which meant moving to Sydney (probably should have been a bit more patient and shopped around for a better fit) left that firm for another one after 12 months - wasn't loving the nature of the work overall around this time. Insolvency can be a pretty negative industry at times and whilst all my bosses were rich, I wasn't exactly looking at any of them thinking that I wanted their lives when I was older. Predominantly divorced, borderline alcoholic white guys.

Looked around at my network of connections from uni, CA and just general social contacts and mentioned I was looking to exit to something different, had a friend working for a global FMCG company at the time who gave me a recommendation for an opening in commercial finance, smashed the interviews for that and then worked there for around 2 years - FP&A and budgeting for some global divisions, some commercial finance work for the domestic Australian market and a couple of other things whilst I was there. My immediate manager left to become head of commercial finance for another company, I completely hated the new manager. Applied for an internal move within the company I was with to transfer into the revenue & pricing team, got blocked by new manager saying it would be too much of a resource drain for her team. Decided to look elsewhere, was recommended for a role at Deloitte by a professional connection and also simultaneously applied to a few revenue and pricing roles with leading companies in the commodities/fuels space.

I ended up with offers from Deloitte (manager level), a large utilities company and a Fuels & Infrastructure business, took the job in Fuels and Infrastructure and now manage pricing for half of the Australian market for that same company.

Tl;dr - I had a pretty terrible time at school, both academically and socially, I now have multiple degrees, two houses and comfortably earn a six figure salary. People who meet me today would probably struggle to believe I did so poorly in my HSC.

It would have been easier/faster if I got a few things right the first time along the way but I'm proof that a setback in what feels like the most important thing in your life when you are 17/18, doesn't have to be an indicator of future success.
A true inspiration. Respect man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)