HSC Atar Estimate (bad internal) (1 Viewer)

Lilyflower1412

HSC
Hi! So it's my first post cause I'm really anxious and my classmates suggested this, I'm now doing pretty badly on my internal marks, but my friends think I'll do Ok since I'm in a selective school (top 20) and a lot of the subjects I choose scales well.

This is the semester 1 report:
English Advanced
Math 3U
Math 4U
Economics
Rank: 32/51, Mark: 75 (didn't do too well at my last test so it'll be lower)
Chemistry
Rank 56/71, Mark: 66 (Did below average at my most recent test )
Chinese in Context
Rank 2/5, Mark: 95 (My teacher told our class that I'm first by 0.2 now)

I'm mostly nervous cause my cousin got 93 something while being at a non-selective and my parents expect better scores from me but I'm really not confident, not to mention my sister missed her desired school for selective (she got in her last choice) so there's a lot of pressure. The career advisor said that our school averages at about 93.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Duskheaven

HSC
Depends on your definition of success. You're going to get into university & will have a wide selection of degrees to choose from. The talent100 atar estimater is pretty good.

idkkdi

HSC
Hi! So it's my first post cause I'm really anxious and my classmates suggested this, I'm now doing pretty badly on my internal marks, but my friends think I'll do Ok since I'm in a selective school (top 20) and a lot of the subjects I choose scales well.

This is the semester 1 report:
English Advanced
Math 3U
Math 4U
Economics
Rank: 32/51, Mark: 75 (didn't do too well at my last test so it'll be lower)
Chemistry
Rank 56/71, Mark: 66 (Did below average at my most recent test )
Chinese in Context
Rank 2/5, Mark: 95 (My teacher told our class that I'm first by 0.2 now)

I'm mostly nervous cause my cousin got 93 something while being at a non-selective and my parents expect better scores from me but I'm really not confident, not to mention my sister missed her desired school for selective (she got in her last choice) so there's a lot of pressure. The career advisor said that our school averages at about 93.

Thanks for the help!
ur gonna have to start sweating to get over 93

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Since you are currently performing the worst in Chemistry, it is likely Chemistry will not count towards your ATAR since you're taking 12 units, provided your performance in Chemistry remains the worst compared to your other subjects by the time you successfully complete your HSC exams.

You have not specified which level of Chinese you are taking. I have still attempted to estimate a possible ATAR with the information you've provided while at the same time trying the same for all 4 levels of Chinese offered at the HSC:
  • If you're studying Chinese Beginners, you could possibly be looking at a low 80's ATAR (around 82-83 to be precise).
  • If you're studying Chinese Continuers, you could possibly be looking at a mid to high 80's ATAR (around 85-87 to be precise).
  • If you're studying Chinese and Literature or Chinese in Context, you could possibly be looking at a mid 80's ATAR (around 85).
Being in a selective school alone may not be enough to guarantee good final marks and a good ATAR. Regularly studying and being up-to-date with content, being determined to do so as well as being diligent in doing so are all important elements that contribute to your success in your final year of school.

Your focus should now be on your trial exams as they constitute a great opportunity for you to improve your ranks (provided you perform to the best of your abilities), allowing you to potentially receive a better final rank, which can only contribute positively to your ATAR.

Once your exams are over, your focus must shift to the HSC exam. This is where you'll need to do your absolute best if you wish to make a significant difference as the HSC exam is worth 50% of your final HSC mark. Doing your utmost in your HSC exams will hopefully lead you to great exam marks, which can result in an ATAR quite higher than the current estimations.

I hope this helps! :D

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
high scaling subjects only work if you have a decently high marks 80+

Lilyflower1412

HSC
Ah my bad, it only said Chinese when I was writing my reply, I should've refreshed the page.
No, it's my fault, since I only realised my mistake after I posted.

My problem is I want to get 90, because that's the mark I think my parents will be Ok with, but at the same time I'm indecisive on what I want to do, I'm leaning on either getting into UNSW or University Technology of Sydney in a lower marked degree and transferring when I'm sure of what to do, so is there any degrees you would suggest? Most of the degrees I've seen require a 90+ atar.

quickoats

HSC

My problem is I want to get 90, because that's the mark I think my parents will be Ok with, but at the same time I'm indecisive on what I want to do, I'm leaning on either getting into UNSW or University Technology of Sydney in a lower marked degree and transferring when I'm sure of what to do, so is there any degrees you would suggest? Most of the degrees I've seen require a 90+ atar.
What areas are you thinking of? It’s not the best strategy to go blindly into a course and try to transfer “up” - what happens if you never get the marks and get stuck?

I think you could get 93 if you absolutely pop off during trials and keep the momentum up for the HSC

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad

All good.

I think a 90 is definitely possible but in order to reach a 90 ATAR you will have to do your best in your trial exams and HSC exams.

Do you have a particular area of interest in terms of what you wish to study beyond year 12?

UNSW offers a range of degrees that don't seem to require an ATAR/selection rank above 90, including those below:

Lilyflower1412

HSC
All good.

I think a 90 is definitely possible but in order to reach a 90 ATAR you will have to do your best in your trial exams and HSC exams.

Do you have a particular area of interest in terms of what you wish to study beyond year 12?

UNSW offers a range of degrees that don't seem to require an ATAR/selection rank above 90, including those below:
  • Bachelor of International Studies:
  • Bachelor of Arts:
  • Bachelor of Arts and Business:
  • Bachelor of Arts/Education (Secondary):
  • Bachelor of Aviation (Management):
Well I'm leaning towards one of the Tech or Business subjects, I'm not good at English or Arts(see my marks).

I'm spiralling into a bad habit lately because of all the pressure, but I've decided to not focus on my chem since as you said it'll most likely not be counted. I'm just really afraid and want to prepare for the worst case scenario.

I've went and looked at the websites for both UNSW and UTS, it seems that UTS has lower atar requirements? I've just texted my friends and they say that it's because it's a new school and doesn't match up with the big titles like UNSW or USyd, and they're are more 'industrialised' in their degree, is that true.

What areas are you thinking of? It’s not the best strategy to go blindly into a course and try to transfer “up” - what happens if you never get the marks and get stuck?

I think you could get 93 if you absolutely pop off during trials and keep the momentum up for the HSC
Getting 90 will be hard and honesty I'm not putting much hope, but any suggestions on what should I focus on?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I'm leaning towards one of the Tech or Business subjects, I'm not good at English or Arts(see my marks).

I'm spiralling into a bad habit lately because of all the pressure, but I've decided to not focus on my chem since as you said it'll most likely not be counted. I'm just really afraid and want to prepare for the worst case scenario.

I've went and looked at the websites for both UNSW and UTS, it seems that UTS has lower atar requirements? I've just texted my friends and they say that it's because it's a new school and doesn't match up with the big titles like UNSW or USyd, and they're are more 'industrialised' in their degree, is that true.
Generally, UNSW degrees have higher ATAR requirements than UTS degrees, which has to do with the difference in overall ranks between the 2 unis (UNSW 43rd vs UTS 133rd on QS). UTS is indeed relatively younger than UNSW. Although UTS is not a Go8 university, I don’t agree that it can’t be compared to USyd or UNSW. Of course the latter unis are usually recommended particularly for law degrees but otherwise both UTS and UNSW are pretty good universities and you can find good jobs with degrees from either uni.

I suggest looking at all degrees that UNSW offers as the ones I included above are just examples. Perhaps you can find a degree that suits you and your transfer plan:

Alternatively, you could check out UTS degrees. Keep in mind that UTS degrees that suit your business interests don't have low requirements either:
However, you should be able to easily receive an offer to study a Bachelor of Computing Science (Honours) as the lowest selection rank for this degree is around 80 and I believe the degree itself would match your interest in technology.

quickoats

HSC
Getting 90 will be hard and honesty I'm not putting much hope, but any suggestions on what should I focus on?
It's good to admit to yourself where you are at realistically, but don't put yourself down.mThe important part is that you use this to put in the work instead of giving up. Sometimes all you need is a bit of a change in mindset.

quickoats

HSC

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I will note that UTS (and UNSW and USyd) generally has much lower cutoffs than they advertise bc they ham up on the bonus points. 80+ will defs get you in.
In that case you are most likely on track for a potential UTS offer (and even UNSW) @Lilyflower1412. Beyond this point, your focus should be on your trial exams and then your HSC exams. You definitely have a good chance of making a difference which will likely save you some of the hassle you're currently worried about :D

Lilyflower1412

HSC
Thanks quickoats and jimmysmith 560.

I've noticed that in UNSW they offer commerce and economics, what's the difference between these two (or if this is not the right place to ask it, where can I?)

And yes, I can see that it's better at UNSW than UTS, perhaps I should have 1 or 2 degrees with a 90 and then one from each UTS and UNSW?

Though do you think it's better to do a double at UTS than a single at UNSW? I've noticed that Bachelor of Business Bachelor of Science in Information Technology in UTS is a 84.50 while a Bachelor of Information Systems in 90 in UNSW (economics is 93).

quickoats

HSC
Thanks quickoats and jimmysmith 560.

I've noticed that in UNSW they offer commerce and economics, what's the difference between these two (or if this is not the right place to ask it, where can I?)

And yes, I can see that it's better at UNSW than UTS, perhaps I should have 1 or 2 degrees with a 90 and then one from each UTS and UNSW?

Though do you think it's better to do a double at UTS than a single at UNSW? I've noticed that Bachelor of Business Bachelor of Science in Information Technology in UTS is a 84.50 while a Bachelor of Information Systems in 90 in UNSW (economics is 93).
Derailing the thread here but it's okay. Realistically, you're probably going to get an E3 for 3u and 4u and a B6 in Chinese which means you should be able to stack on about 5ish bonus points for subjects (yes they just pile them on lol - literally the unis just want your fees). (but still study and work hard! - don't slack off now just bc bonus points are coming to fly your way)

Commerce allows you to pick a major in a variety of things, such as finance, accounting, marketing, management, HR, and even economics. Economics only allows you to do economics (or econometrics or financial economics etc). The difference between an economics major within Commerce vs the whole economics degree is about 3-4 extra economics courses.

I would NOT recommend you to go to UNSW economics because it's 3 points lower than UNSW commerce (lots of people do this), just to try and transfer into commerce. They can be very different and you don't want to get stuck in econ bc it can get terribly difficult.

If you want to be exposed to more areas, then the UTS double is the way to go since you'll be able to dip your toes into some intro business (usually accounting and microeconomics first) and some tech (I'd assume some intro programming course + something else idk). Note that doing a single at UNSW means you won't really get to try other subjects (even though infosys has intro accounting somewhere in it). + UNSW trimesters means that you do 3 subjects which won't give you the variety to test out what you like.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Economics only allows you to do economics (or econometrics or financial economics etc).
You can still choose to pursue an additional economics or business field within UNSW's Bachelor of Economics.

But I guess it wouldn't be the best option to study this degree and study an additional business field within that degree unless the student's main interest is in economics.

Lilyflower1412

HSC
@quickoats @jimmysmith560
Both of you are lifesavers, sorry for derailing the thread but I'm a lot calmer now. (my sister came in for a cuddle when I showed her my marks)

It looks like UNSW information or UTS business/information are the best options for me, though I'll be looking at the others too.

And again, thanks everyone who posted here for your help.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
@quickoats @jimmysmith560
Both of you are lifesavers, sorry for derailing the thread but I'm a lot calmer now. (my sister came in for a cuddle when I showed her my marks)

It looks like UNSW information or UTS business/information are the best options for me, though I'll be looking at the others too.

And again, thanks everyone who posted here for your help.
No worries! Happy to know this thread has helped you. All the best with your HSC and your future studies! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)