subject selection selection help - sciences (1 Viewer)

youjustgotkrissed

HSC
hey guys,
im going into year 11 next year and the subjects I want to do are

SOR 1
eng adv
maths ext 1
legal
music
business studies

just coming on here to ask if it would beneficial to do any sciences? I don't really perform that well in year 10 chem or bio, or enjoy it either, but many people around me are telling me that I should choose at least 1 science going into year 11.

cheers

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I took Earth and Environmental Science in year 11 because I felt interested in this subject, but ended up dropping it by the end of year 11 because I had realised by then that I was not really interested in the content and my performance was the worst of any of my subjects. This means that my subject combination contained no Science subjects going into year 12. I ended up performing just fine throughout year 12 in the subjects that I had kept and picked for year 12. The simple answer is that it is not crucial to take a Science subject. Several students who did not take any Science subjects achieved great results in both year 11 and year 12.

If you have neither enjoyed nor performed well in year 10 Science, then as per mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa's post, I don't believe that taking a Science subject would be a rational decision, especially when considering that, when choosing your subjects, priority should be given to subjects that you enjoy/feel interested in and believe you can perform well in. The only exception is if you intend to pursue a science-related degree and would be better off taking a Science subject to avoid issues pertaining to prerequisites/assumed knowledge. However, from your post, this does not appear to be the case. Based on this, the above most likely still applies.

Alternatively, you could consider taking a Science subject in year 11. Since none of your year 11 results will count towards your HSC results or ATAR, this constitutes a good opportunity for you to thoroughly experience the chosen subject. Consequently, you will be able to make a more informed decision as to whether you should drop this subject or keep it as you commence year 12.

I hope this helps! :D

youjustgotkrissed

HSC
I took Earth and Environmental Science in year 11 because I felt interested in this subject, but ended up dropping it by the end of year 11 because I had realised by then that I was not really interested in the content and my performance was the worst of any of my subjects. This means that my subject combination contained no Science subjects going into year 12. I ended up performing just fine throughout year 12 in the subjects that I had kept and picked for year 12. The simple answer is that it is not crucial to take a Science subject. Several students who did not take any Science subjects achieved great results in both year 11 and year 12.

If you have neither enjoyed nor performed well in year 10 Science, then as per mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa's post, I don't believe that taking a Science subject would be a rational decision, especially when considering that, when choosing your subjects, priority should be given to subjects that you enjoy/feel interested in and believe you can perform well in. The only exception is if you intend to pursue a science-related degree and would be better off taking a Science subject to avoid issues pertaining to prerequisites/assumed knowledge. However, from your post, this does not appear to be the case. Based on this, the above most likely still applies.

Alternatively, you could consider taking a Science subject in year 11. Since none of your year 11 results will count towards your HSC results or ATAR, this constitutes a good opportunity for you to thoroughly experience the chosen subject. Consequently, you will be able to make a more informed decision as to whether you should drop this subject or keep it as you commence year 12.

I hope this helps! :D
Thank you so much this is super helpful!! Just wondering should I put science as one of my three reserve subjects? I don't really know what else to put.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you so much this is super helpful!! Just wondering should I put science as one of my three reserve subjects? I don't really know what else to put.
No worries! If a Science subject is not a prerequisite or treated as assumed knowledge for the degree(s) that you intend to study beyond year 12, there really is no reason for you to take a Science subject, when you could instead take another subject that you might enjoy and perform well in, especially since you mentioned that you have neither performed well in year 10 Science nor enjoyed it. But if you feel the need to take a Science subject to be more certain about your decision, you could try taking Physics in year 11. If you end up enjoying it and performing well in it, you could consider keeping it as you begin year 12. If not, then you should probably drop it.

From a different perspective, how do you feel about Economics? You seem to be interested in HSIE subjects given that you are taking both Legal Studies and Business Studies, so perhaps taking Economics instead of a Science subject would align more closely with your needs?

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
No worries! If a Science subject is not a prerequisite or treated as assumed knowledge for the degree(s) that you intend to study beyond year 12, there really is no reason for you to take a Science subject, when you could instead take another subject that you might enjoy and perform well in, especially since you mentioned that you have neither performed well in year 10 Science nor enjoyed it. But if you feel the need to take a Science subject to be more certain about your decision, you could try taking Physics in year 11. If you end up enjoying it and performing well in it, you could consider keeping it as you begin year 12. If not, then you should probably drop it.

From a different perspective, how do you feel about Economics? You seem to be interested in HSIE subjects given that you are taking both Legal Studies and Business Studies, so perhaps taking Economics instead of a Science subject would align more closely with your needs?
Economics is regarded as a 'social science'

youjustgotkrissed

HSC

Thanks for answering! I'm just a very indecisive person. 😂 I didn't even think about economics actually, I'll definitely look into it and will probably put it as a reserve! Thank you for your help

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)