Advice needed for English Tutoring (1 Viewer)

robboss

HSC
N/A
hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post, but this is for people who tutor English or have had substantial English tutoring before:

I have been asked to tutor two students at once from different schools for English. I'm a bit hesitant to do this because I feel like it would be difficult to cater to both students' needs at the same time since their schools will study different texts. Thus, I can only see myself teaching them general English skills e.g. imaginative writing, textual analysis and/or doing a close study of a text of my choosing. But I feel like the latter would be quite hard to sustain with uni work as I would have to develop courses myself and for the students, as they will have the pressure of schoolwork and assessments and probably won't have time to do extra study.

Is there a way to still help each student one-on-one with their schoolwork during the lesson without the other feeling left out?

Also, is it normal for private English tutors to develop their own courses on texts or do they usually just supplement their student's school learning and assist with assessments?

For context: these students are going to year 8 next year.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I think it would be highly impractical to teach 2 students with different texts simultaneously. Is it not possible to tutor each separately? Why are you being required to teach them together, unless they are from a same family?

robboss

HSC
N/A
I think it would be highly impractical to teach 2 students with different texts simultaneously. Is it not possible to tutor each separately? Why are you being required to teach them together, unless they are from a same family?
Thanks for your reply. Their parents requested that. I think the reason they provided was that it would help promote discussion/ they could learn from each other haha (and I guess it's cheaper for them). But yeah I think I might ask if I can tutor them separately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)