BOS light mode > dark mode (1 Viewer)

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Just felt the sudden urge to put my opinion out there. I will be taking the role of affirmative in this debate. Before starting I’d like to define a few key terms:
  • BOS: the Boredofstudies forum
  • Light mode: the default layout of this forum. Contains white background and black text.
  • Dark mode: the other optional layout. Contains black background and white text.
Firstly, I would like to start off by saying that the white mode is classy. It is the default mode and the one I’d assume most BOS users would use. Because of this, the white mode can also be assumed to be a part of the sites identity. Some forums use a blue background, some use purple. But I would like to hit a patriotic tone for us BOS users that the white background is the one we can claim our own. And I assume throughout the timeline of this site from its birth sometime in the 2000s, most users could identity with this white background as it was the one most of them used. How long has this site offered two background options. If it hasn’t for all its history, the white one would be the only option for some time, and hence the most popular.

Secondly, it’s easier to read text off of a white background. This is especially true on mobile devices and in dark environments when a black background would be cumbersome to read. All written forms of media from books to scripts have relied on black text written on a white background. So should BOS.

Thirdly, a white background is better for pictures with a white backdrop. Many memes use this format. If both these entities use a white background then they will blend seamlessly into one another. And I know you may be thinking: But what about photos with a black background? Well in that case I tell you, or at least from anecdotal experience, white background photos are more common.

Lastly, it is harder to get to dark mode. No one has to time to scroll all the way to the bottom of the site just to change the colour of the website. In the time you’ve spent sticking with the default setting, you can spend the extra time studying for that 100 atar.

And before closing I would like to preemptively point out that the opposition’s case is like a building. There are many floors.

Regards,
@HazzRat

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
44E3BC23-5E74-42BC-9C21-E202286A71E9.png
I used dark mode for a sec just to get a different perspective. I think I’m still right with the default mode though. If you look at the ads for dark mode they contrast with the background. In the default they flow seamlessly and you don’t even notice them. Do you are do you not want to be distracted by ads?

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Also you may have noticed my ungodly combination: dark mode chrome + light mode BOS. Couldn’t think of a better combo tbh.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I don't know what the forum looked like pre-2005 or so, but between 2005-2019 the forum was mostly using the default vBulletin 3/4 theme which was a light theme with some blue (different shades in 3 to 4). You can find examples of this through the WayBack Machine.

Back then, resources were not tightly integrated with the forum, so there was also a separate website and the top and bottom bar of the forum were themed lightly to fit in with the website. The website itself (and the forum top/bottom bar) changed quite a lot sometime around 2013, and the layout slightly tweaked for ads.

But the old website did not display well at all on mobiles and tablets, which was increasingly an issue after not being a concern for the first 10+ years of the site. In early-mid 2019, we completely replaced the site's software from scratch. Part of this goal was more tightly integrating the resources into the forum.

The current forum software we use (XenForo) is in a way a spiritual successor of vBulletin 3/4, so the UI was familiar. Amazingly, the colours of the original BOS site (not forum) were blue and orange, so the default XenForo theme fit the BOS aesthetic with just a logo.

I'm a big dark theme fan myself, and I know a lot of other users were too, so shortly after that we added a dark theme in late 2019. But it's not the default and not intended to be as it's the light mode that fits the aesthetic and branding of BOS.

hehe43

HSC
I ain't reading allat and dark mode>>>>>>
Don't be racist​

gamja

HSC
Just felt the sudden urge to put my opinion out there. I will be taking the role of affirmative in this debate. Before starting I’d like to define a few key terms:
  • Light mode: the default layout of this forum. Contains white background and black text.
  • Dark mode: the other optional layout. Contains black background and white text.
Firstly, I would like to start off by saying that the white mode is classy. It is the default mode and the one I’d assume most BOS users would use. Because of this, the white mode can also be assumed to be a part of the sites identity. Some forums use a blue background, some use purple. But I would like to hit a patriotic tone for us BOS users that the white background is the one we can claim our own. And I assume throughout the timeline of this site from its birth sometime in the 2000s, most users could identity with this white background as it was the one most of them used. How long has this site offered two background options. If it hasn’t for all its history, the white one would be the only option for some time, and hence the most popular.

Secondly, it’s easier to read text off of a white background. This is especially true on mobile devices and in dark environments when a black background would be cumbersome to read. All written forms of media from books to scripts have relied on black text written on a white background. So should BOS.

Thirdly, a white background is better for pictures with a white backdrop. Many memes use this format. If both these entities use a white background then they will blend seamlessly into one another. And I know you may be thinking: But what about photos with a black background? Well in that case I tell you, or at least from anecdotal experience, white background photos are more common.

Lastly, it is harder to get to dark mode. No one has to time to scroll all the way to the bottom of the site just to change the colour of the website. In the time you’ve spent sticking with the default setting, you can spend the extra time studying for that 100 atar.

And before closing I would like to preemptively point out that the opposition’s case is like a building. There are many floors.

Regards,
@HazzRat
dark mode is extra ass for circular pfp legends like me or @enoilgam who map the circle colour with the light grey of light mode

chilli 412

oo la la
HSC

Regards,
@HazzRat
facts (i dont know how to disable light mode)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)