〖AMC MEDALIST Maths tutoring〗2U/3U/4U |Yr11&12 |English/Mandarin| UPDATED NOV 2019 (1 Viewer)

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
〖AMC Medal〗MATH2/3/4U |English/中文 | NorthernBeaches/City/UNSW |Be AHEAD of your classmate!

Firstly an update (06/11/19) that I still do tutoring!

The summer break is not far away! If you're entering Year 11 / Year 12 next year, it's a GREAT chance to be ahead of your classmates and friends (and get high ranking in school assessments)!

I'll be offering Year 11/12 Mathematics 2U / Extension 1 / Extension 2 tutoring throughout the whole summer break. By teaching method that will help you solve problems yourself & tailored to your needs, I can help you strengthen your mathematics ability, or help you fast track your maths course for next YEAR if you wish!

You choose the places for tutoring, I can travel to your house and tutor you on-door!

There will be a price discount if you aim to get tutorial for a prolonged period, or if you invite your friends (together or separate)!

NEW: The first class is ALWAYS FREE. You always pay for your next tutorial, since there's no risk analysis in HSC I'll shoulder it for you!

Currently available Mondays - Saturdays & most Sundays. Apply now while places last!

Contact: 0451724688 (Text messages preferred) / xiuchangyu94@gmail.com

fecac2dda43a3e12c40c2e9c86c847eb_resized.jpg

PS: I also tutor UNSW Courses: MATH1131/1141/1151/1231/1241/1251, MATH1081(Discrete), MATH3521(Good WAM booster) & ECON2101.
Offers Australian Mathematics Competition tutoring upon request

My name is Wayne (Changyu XIU). I am an Actuarial studies/Science (Mathematics) graduate at UNSW.

Subjects:

Mathematics (2U), Mathematics Extension 1&2 (3U & 4U) - Year 11/12
Mathematics years 7-10 (if needed)

Qualifications:

2012 HSC: Mathematics Extension 1: 98
Mathematics Extension 2: 94

ATAR: 97.75 + EAS + 4 (from UNSW EAP for winning medal in AMC)
2011 HSC(accelerated): MX1:95(HSC exam mark 97) MX2:92

Finished MATH1151 / MATH1251, which are the hardest possible mathematics courses offered to 1st year students.

2010-2012 Australian Mathematics Competition PRIZE (Top 0.3%)

2012 Australian Mathematics Competition MEDAL (Top 0.01% or less) with a mark of 126 out of 135. Since there's only 4 medalists in 2012 AMC senior division within Australia and no one got full mark, with the information that one of our 4 qualified a medal with 98/135, I believe I'm very likely to be first in the test.:headbang:

- I aim to increase your EFFICIENCY for learning mathematics and applying them to problems fast, because I believe that 'efficiency' is the key to success, whether in HSC exams or for deep-learning;

- I am passionate towards mathematics, and have an enthusiastic attitude when tutoring especially when problems go harder;

- My tutorials are interactive and mostly concept-based: know how to find a method, use methods to break down problems, then solve them without extra work;

- I can personally tailor to your needs, whether for homework, specific chapters / types of questions or exam strategy & preparation, so that you can get the most benefit out of a fixed period of time;

- I believe that improving mathematics ability/marks in a very short period is feasible through certain approaches, whether you want to pick up Yr12 knowledge early to get a head start, or boost up your marks 2 days before exams - that's how I managed with mine;

- 如果你英文水平不足也无关紧要,  作为国内奥赛生的我有迅速提升你分 数的信心 :)

I can teach in both English and Mandarin(↑), so if you are an international student with Mandarin as your mother tongue, it makes no difference with native English speakers.
I'll be tutoring at my home (if you live nearby) or travel to yours (or anywhere you find convenient) within any reasonable distance. Since I live in Dee Why and study at UNSW, it will be very convenient if you live within the Northern Beaches, or tutor you on weekdays if you are near UNSW.(This doesn't apply during holiday period)

Price:
$30~$50 per hour for one-to-one tutoring or $15~$25 per half-hour-long period.

$30/hr at my home, up to $50/hr for on-door tutoring depend on the mobility and other factors.
+$20/hr for 2nd student, and +$10/hr per student if more than 2.
Price can be slightly discounted if pay for a period of planned tutorials in advance.

Email: xiuchangyu94@gmail.com (suggest that you send a copy to z3461883@zmail.unsw.edu.au just in case)
Mobile: 0451724688 (Just send me a text message if you want quick reply!)
Facebook name: Changyu Wayne Xiu
(If you are a Chinese international student you might also find this useful: QQ: 674130377)

Last edited:

nightweaver066

HSC
Re: 〖AMC MEDALIST Maths tutoring〗2U/3U/4U |Yr11&12 |English/Mandarin |Travelable in S

Dayum your maths credentials are amazing. Good luck finding students :)

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: 〖AMC MEDALIST Maths tutoring〗2U/3U/4U |Yr11&12 |English/Mandarin |Travelable in S

Thanks for the bump! Really appreciate it :D
We do the same degree! :D

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

126/135, Jesus - that's insane. My top score was 90/135.

o_O

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad

I somehow find AMC easier than 4U maths :p
Uni is a whole different challenge though >w<

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad

Bump bump bump bump bumppppppppppppp

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad

LOL! Thanks Traiwit!
Our free time will be eliminated within 4 days >o<

matty_parto

HSC

Hi, do you travel toGreystanes.

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad

Hi, do you travel toGreystanes.
Hey man, sorry that is a bit too far, need to spend 2h+ one way, so unfortunately no >.<

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

Bump, Wayne is in my discrete tut :)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Just curious did you get selected for the IMO?

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
You must’ve got selected for the IMO right?
Unfortunately it was at the end of Year 12 for me so no more IMO
TAT I wish I did that well one year earlier! (They said it was a pity not knowing me until then as well)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Unfortunately it was at the end of Year 12 for me so no more IMO
TAT I wish I did that well one year earlier! (They said it was a pity not knowing me until then as well)
Out of curiosity how do you think AMC compares to 4U maths and how are the skills in both similar or different, and does success in one necessarily mean success in another?

I don’t really know any other medalist I can ask lol so sorry for the bombardment imao

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
Out of curiosity how do you think AMC compares to 4U maths and how are the skills in both similar or different, and does success in one necessarily mean success in another?

I don’t really know any other medalist I can ask lol so sorry for the bombardment imao
A short way of describing is suppose you go for the 4 Unit exam, but the exam time is halved & you are drunk XD
AMC tends to be more trivial and in very most (if not all) cases you never get enough time to answer all questions. However, (if I remembered right) the questions have a fixed answer of 000 to 999 so you can sort of make educated guesses. The last 5 questions worthing 6,7,8,9,10 marks could be extremely rewarding if you guessed it right the last minute, I got my last question guessed right hahahahah No idea how I invested most of my time in 2nd last question but that ended up being the only question I got wrong though

And no, success in one definitely doesn't mean success in another, I was aiming for a state rank and got 94, was a really bad day for me :p
The similarity is in both exams you need to be very familiar with what you know (and fast & clean calculations, next-minute look back & answer check is a no-no and it never finds out any problems even if you wrote 2+4=8). For AMC you need to tweak your mind more flexibly and be faster in arithmetics.

If you have any question in detail do THROW THEM AT ME, they say it's impossible to bombard me with questions XD

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
A short way of describing is suppose you go for the 4 Unit exam, but the exam time is halved & you are drunk XD
AMC tends to be more trivial and in very most (if not all) cases you never get enough time to answer all questions. However, (if I remembered right) the questions have a fixed answer of 000 to 999 so you can sort of make educated guesses. The last 5 questions worthing 6,7,8,9,10 marks could be extremely rewarding if you guessed it right the last minute, I got my last question guessed right hahahahah No idea how I invested most of my time in 2nd last question but that ended up being the only question I got wrong though

And no, success in one definitely doesn't mean success in another, I was aiming for a state rank and got 94, was a really bad day for me :p
The similarity is in both exams you need to be very familiar with what you know (and fast & clean calculations, next-minute look back & answer check is a no-no and it never finds out any problems even if you wrote 2+4=8). For AMC you need to tweak your mind more flexibly and be faster in arithmetics.

If you have any question in detail do THROW THEM AT ME, they say it's impossible to bombard me with questions XD
These were all questions I had during high school when I was in 4u but I didn't know any medalist whom I could ask. Thanks to you now my curiosity is answered haha.

The reason I was so curious in high school is because my friend beat me in the AMC and I beat him in 4u so we were kind of confused at how that happened...

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
These were all questions I had during high school when I was in 4u but I didn't know any medalist whom I could ask. Thanks to you now my curiosity is answered haha.

The reason I was so curious in high school is because my friend beat me in the AMC and I beat him in 4u so we were kind of confused at how that happened...
I'd say in AMC you get a wider range of results, it could really be the same person who got 40 and 80+ in different years, where 4U it's more predictable :p at least it's 5~8 topics instead of 20+ XD
Due to the same reason, from AMC experience one could practice hard on certain aspects in 4U to get super fast (without losing accuracy) in doing the exams, but unfortunatelly nothing in 4U really helps AMC haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)