10 Units in Year 11 (1 Viewer)

pyre

HSC
So, I'm wondering if it's possible to only do 10 units in year 11 since I already did HSC SOR II in year 10 (finished prelim + did hsc). I really wanna drop Adv Math since I'm not doing too well with it and I'm not enjoying it to the point that I can't be bothered to do any of the homework anymore. My plan was already to drop maths in year 12 but I wanna know if it's possible if I just drop it now since technically I would still have done 12 units for prelim just 10 units 1 year and 2 units done from another year.

TLDR: I did 2 Units for HSC in Year 10, can I drop Math so I only have 10 units.

Greninja340

HSC
Depends on your school in my school you have to do at least 12 units but your school might be different

quickoats

HSC
You have done 2 preliminary units already, so there’s no issue with your eligibility if you do 10 units now (and 8 units next year). However, your school might have certain rules (usually just for attendance sake) about how many units you have to do on campus. I’ve heard some schools mandating a minimum of 10 units in year 12 - even if you’ve accelerated 4 units and are entitled to do only 6.

If you’re struggling with advanced maths, have you considered standard maths? It may be a lot easier for you and you might find yourself doing quite well in it.

pyre

HSC
You have done 2 preliminary units already, so there’s no issue with your eligibility if you do 10 units now (and 8 units next year). However, your school might have certain rules (usually just for attendance sake) about how many units you have to do on campus. I’ve heard some schools mandating a minimum of 10 units in year 12 - even if you’ve accelerated 4 units and are entitled to do only 6.

If you’re struggling with advanced maths, have you considered standard maths? It may be a lot easier for you and you might find yourself doing quite well in it.
Standard math isn't an option in my school, it just doesn't run and no other subjects run in the math line so I had to pick advanced math

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
Yes and that's why people like you get ATAR's of 31 :)

Let him do whatever he/she wants :), I'm sure he will get at least 3x better than you!
Adv math is easy, gives bonus points for like every degree and is a requirement for USYD. On top of that, if adv is too hard it is better for your atar to drop to standard and get an easy band 6. OP said standard doesn't run at his school but he can always do distance ed and it will be even better since it's like a free period where he can do the bare minimum and do whatever he wants the rest of the time.

Velocifire

HSC
Adv math is easy, gives bonus points for like every degree and is a requirement for USYD. On top of that, if adv is too hard it is better for your atar to drop to standard and get an easy band 6. OP said standard doesn't run at his school but he can always do distance ed and it will be even better since it's like a free period where he can do the bare minimum and do whatever he wants the rest of the time.
But no maths at all is fine! NOT FOR EVERYONE!

Well, either way, a 31 ATAR and getting an E1 in like EXT 2 Maths ain't good either!

Don't listen to this toxic dump!

foxxraven

HSC
Mate, it isn't. Everyone has different capabilities and different preferences, and distance ed may not be possible. Just let this person do what they want.

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
But no maths at all is fine! NOT FOR EVERYONE!

Well, either way, a 31 ATAR and getting an E1 in like EXT 2 Maths ain't good either!

Don't listen to this toxic dump!
Mate, it isn't. Everyone has different capabilities and different preferences, and distance ed may not be possible. Just let this person do what they want.

What is the point of going to university if even Y10 level standard math is too hard for you, what kind of degree can you get that will get you a good job and is so easy? Not being able to do standard math is not lack of intelligence but laziness and unwillingness to put in effort. I could say the same about advanced but it is a bit harder less about irl calculations. I don't see a point in getting a good atar for the sake of a good atar with subjects that don't lead to anything worthwhile in uni.

foxxraven

HSC
What is the point of going to university if even Y10 level standard math is too hard for you, what kind of degree can you get that will get you a good job and is so easy? Not being able to do standard math is not lack of intelligence but laziness and unwillingness to put in effort. I could say the same about advanced but it is a bit harder less about irl calculations. I don't see a point in getting a good atar for the sake of a good atar with subjects that don't lead to anything worthwhile in uni.
Not every degree is maths focused.... you don't need maths for everything. Saying that someone is lazy for not being able to access a subject or not wanting to do it is plain ignorant. You don't know what is going on in this person's life, you can't make snapshot judgements like that. They just may not be good at maths or not like the subject. It's none of your business. Furthermore, this person may not even want to go to uni... they may want to go to TAFE or follow another career path. Your ATAR isn't everything. You continue to perpetuate these ideas that are harmful and incorrect.

SplashJuice

HSC
Keep Advanced Math if you want to do STEM (Science/Engineering/Mathematics) related subjects in University and just grind through the subject, otherwise drop it.

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
Not every degree is maths focused.... you don't need maths for everything. Saying that someone is lazy for not being able to access a subject or not wanting to do it is plain ignorant. You don't know what is going on in this person's life, you can't make snapshot judgements like that. They just may not be good at maths or not like the subject. It's none of your business. Furthermore, this person may not even want to go to uni... they may want to go to TAFE or follow another career path. Your ATAR isn't everything. You continue to perpetuate these ideas that are harmful and incorrect.
That's not the point I was making, of course you don't need math for everything but if you can't learn basic math you're either really unintelligent or unwilling to put in a bit of effort to learn something. I would say that it is probably the 2nd, which means instead of dropping a subject you can just try harder and get better at something you were bad at before. It is not a good mentality to just stop doing something when it gets hard. It is a big problem that so many people are proud of being bad at math and it is so accepted, if I was proud of barely being able to read or write I would just be called stupid.

foxxraven

HSC
That's not the point I was making, of course you don't need math for everything but if you can't learn basic math you're either really unintelligent or unwilling to put in a bit of effort to learn something. I would say that it is probably the 2nd, which means instead of dropping a subject you can just try harder and get better at something you were bad at before. It is not a good mentality to just stop doing something when it gets hard. It is a big problem that so many people are proud of being bad at math and it is so accepted, if I was proud of barely being able to read or write I would just be called stupid.
That's not the point though - this person doesn't enjoy the subject and has the units to drop it so they may as well. I understand that it's good to challenge yourself - and I agree - however there's a difference between challenging yourself and becoming completely overwhelmed. Mental health is important and OP should be able to choose to do whatever they want and whatever makes them happy.
I don't know where you've gotten this idea from that people are proud of being bad at maths. We know nothing about OP's marks other than the fact that they believe they're not doing very well and that they aren't enjoying the subject. It shouldn't matter if they are 'lazy' by your standards. All that matters is that they are able to do whatever they need to get by, and that doesn't have to mean doing maths.
TD:LR - your intelligence or worth ethic is not defined by your attitude or results towards one subject.

pikachu975

I love trials
HSC
Hey guys, please keep arguing to the DMs, and don't look down on other people's subject choices.

Best bet would be to ask your school if it is allowed since they'll probably know more about the NESA requirements. Good luck :)

foxxraven

HSC
Hey guys, please keep arguing to the DMs, and don't look down on other people's subject choices.

Best bet would be to ask your school if it is allowed since they'll probably know more about the NESA requirements. Good luck :)
Sorry about that. Agree with what you said about NESA.

B1andB2

HSC
People are forgetting this point. OP not doing maths probably means he likes humanities and arts in which case USYD is probably preferred. USYD has 2U math band 4 prereq now.
Well, they should've just advised that some unis require 2u maths as a prerequisite and they should keep that fact in mind, rather than bashing their intelligence. Heartless people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)