14 Units (1 Viewer)

zdf

HSC
Hey
I’m currently on 14 units doing Chem, Phys, Business, Eco, Adv Eng and 4U Math. I’m not sure what to drop, so I just wanted to ask if you guys think doing 14 units for the whole first term (term 4 2018) is too much?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Depends what you like and your capability in each subject. I knew a bloke who did 20 units (though he did 4u maths when he was 12).

In my opinion, doing more than 12 units is a waste. Even doing 12 is unncessary IF you're confident in what your top 10 will be - I personally don't see much point spending time on an extra subject just because of the fear of the what-if-you-bomb-one-subject scenario.

Also, what are your plans for university? If you want to go into something quantitative/sciency, then it seems logical to keep the chem phys if your doing well in them. Conversely, if you want to go into eco/business, then it might be worthwhile keep those. This is, of course, assuming you perform equally well in all your subjects. If not, then just pick your strongest.

Shame that English can't be dropped!

Last edited:

zdf

HSC
I don't seem to like Physics as much as my other subjects, however I am doing relatively well in it. In terms of uni, I am aiming to do Comm/Law at USYD or UNSW.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Then assuming you're performing equally well in your other subjects, it would make sense to drop Physics?

thatace

HSC
keep physics, drop chem. ur doing 4u maths and 4u/physics intertwine and helps u with it

blyatman

HSC
N/A
keep physics, drop chem. ur doing 4u maths and 4u/physics intertwine and helps u with it
It only helps a bit with mechanics, so it's not worth doing a whole HSC subject just for that. Plenty of people get by fine doing the mechanics topics without having taken physics, since the concept of forces and whatnot is not that hard to learn, especially for a 4unit student.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)