$15 000 - what car would you buy and what year is it?? (1 Viewer)

sally_33

HSC
so if i gave you $15 000 to buy a car what would you get

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
but why would you bother.

$15k would get me a 1995 VS SS/HSV (I've seen Senators and GTS's for this price)

or

a 1981 VC HDT Commodore (Brock Special) or a 1985 LM5000 HDT, or a 1983 VH Group 3 in reasonable condition.

it could also buy a 1988 VL LE Calais Turbo (HDT again), a VL Group A, a VL commodore with an RB26DETT top end, making somewhere around 260kw at the wheels, and running less than 12 seconds on the 1/4.

or a 1988-1992 (i *think*) R32 GTS-T Skyline, (GTS-R if you're really lucky)

It would also buy an XY GTHO replica (depending on the car, the engine could be a 351, completely HO spec, or merely a 302)

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
DaddyK said:
And it would look like this

nice, i remember reading one of the many car mags ages ago, and it had a...i believe RA28 and was built nice....including the 4ltr lexus quad cam....mmm....that'd be nice :uhhuh:

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
w1ck3d_c10wn said:
but why would you bother.

$15k would get me a 1995 VS SS/HSV (I've seen Senators and GTS's for this price)

or

a 1981 VC HDT Commodore (Brock Special) or a 1985 LM5000 HDT, or a 1983 VH Group 3 in reasonable condition.

it could also buy a 1988 VL LE Calais Turbo (HDT again), a VL Group A, a VL commodore with an RB26DETT top end, making somewhere around 260kw at the wheels, and running less than 12 seconds on the 1/4.

or a 1988-1992 (i *think*) R32 GTS-T Skyline, (GTS-R if you're really lucky)

It would also buy an XY GTHO replica (depending on the car, the engine could be a 351, completely HO spec, or merely a 302)

uhm because there beautiful cars and are respectable...why would you get a commo? every man and his dog has one, and as for the XY if it was a replica GTHO it would have a 351 in it...if it had a 302 it would just be an xy falcon.

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
actually I've seen cheapo 'replica' XY GTHO's with a 302, and i know thats not a true replica, but meh, some people aren't particularly fussed with the power output. Still sounds like a V8 and goes reletively hard.

the HDT's I listed were awesome cars, only made in numbers of about 500 by HDT, they are pretty much collectors items these days.

Commodore = cheap power, comfort, reliability, not to mention easy access to parts, and reletively cheap servicing. You can mod your car how you wish, whereas if you buy something to be deliberately different, you can have problems with replacement parts, and getting any sort of servicing/work done to it.

I'd rather have a done up VL than some celica or whatever that looked like a bush bomb in any case :D

Last edited:

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
Actually your quite wrong....a commodore...reliable?? lol, sorry you got the wrong make. And its not different, RA's are actually really popular, well you'd know that if you had any idea. As for the parts...old toyota's are probably the easiest cars to find parts for because the older generations use generic parts, cheap too.

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
I've NEVER had a problem with any commodore, and none of my friends have either.

If they are so popular, how come you never see one out on the road?

7th Sign

HSC
93 supra for 15 gs

ive heard of people getting them that low

or maby a 96 civic

seriously theirs soo many for that price....

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
DaddyK said:
Actually your quite wrong....a commodore...reliable?? lol, sorry you got the wrong make. And its not different, RA's are actually really popular, well you'd know that if you had any idea. As for the parts...old toyota's are probably the easiest cars to find parts for because the older generations use generic parts, cheap too.
indeed u r right...

its amazing the amount of shit u can get for them...the mid-late celicas r cool, esp. with the 'fastback'

but i dunno how commo's are so bad? we've had a calais 4 ages n its pretty damned reliable*touch wood*

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
ahhh...our VN strangely didnt/hasnt

last of the model too, so u know, i spose we got best of the VNs (dusnt mean they're tops thou)

maybe we just got lucky....

but in all honesty, with basic maintenance (its not hard to change oil, brake pads, etc etc) n not running it into the ground...they last a while...the new ones? i dunno my sisters VT is still goin alright, but it isnt the 8, i remember the piston slap problems they had (GEN III)..but meh, that seems solved

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
sif gen 3. It depends on the individual car as well, and how it's driven, I've seen many RB30 VL's do up to 400 000 km, without having any major problems apart from normal wear, til rebuild, and the same for the earlier models such as the VC.

Yeah I've heard of the newer models having problems, but i wouldn't buy a VT or newer if I had that much money in any case.

tomekz

HSC
Right now i would most likely AU II ghia (~16k rite now) but another 6-12 months or so i would get a BA MK I XT or futura.

SlipStream

HSC
As mentioned before, too many cars to choose from.

Depends on what you're after, but right now I could not look past a 1995 300ZX twin turbo.

Or even an MA71 Supra twin turbo - can get a few nice clean ones for that price.

Or go old school - HR31 GTS-R Skyline with a few extra herbs, 18 inch deep dish mags, mmm.

If you're lucky you may be able to pick up an early WRX for $15k; or perhaps buy a Brumby and pay an engineer to drop an EJ20T into it... oh my gawd! Continuing with Subies, even an early RS Legacy or Liberty.

Or buy an ED XR6 and mod the shit out of it and you've got a 13 second car. There's so many other cars I haven't mentioned: R32 GTS-Ts and GTS-4s; Mk V Supras (atmo); Mazda MX5s; the list goes on.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
7th Sign said:
93 supra for 15 gs

ive heard of people getting them that low

or maby a 96 civic

seriously theirs soo many for that price....
96 civic??
oi my garage has one!!!
2 doors, in great condition
LoL LoL

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
haha sif R31 Skyline.. may as well go for the R32 GTR...

oh LOL at 13 second ED... you may as well buy a normal EB-ED and supercharge it - more like 11 seconds there ;)

I'd also be a bit :S about a WRX thats that cheap, but that would be a cool car to have nonetheless

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)