18/19th formal birthday party idea (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am holding a possible joint birthday party with my friend who is turning 18 (and I am turning 19). I am thinking of holding a formal/semi-formal style birthday party but I have some problems with venue hire and events organisation...

Can anyone help me?

P.S. Let's say the budget is around 500-1000 dollars

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
town hall is quite good, plus it is close to town hall station

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Ohhh I am thinking of getting around 50-60 people (for each of us)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
At that sort of budget, for those numbers, you wouldn't be looking at a sit-down dinner anywhere. Finger food only.

If it's an 18th, I'd guess some people who will be attending will not be 18 yet, so you need a venue that would allow them to come. Your best bet would be an RSL, or some sort of sports club. Most of them will do a package with finger food, a juke box or something, and balloons.

If you're not worried about 17 year olds, many many clubs let you hire a private room for free, and then you can just spend the budget on a bar tab.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
The other problem is 18 year olds have no idea what formal means. Guys will wear dark suits with white shoes and girls will wear "cocktail dresses" that would be more at home in a strip club. Then you will have 100 odd people in one place looking like tools. Also $500 is jack all for a "formal" thing, you'd need atleast $50 a head at anywhere half decent and that would pretty much just cover some canapes and staff, venue hire would probably be another $500-1000 after that.

Oh and then there's booze, even if people only had on average 2.4 drinks each which is unlikely, that would be 240 drinks. That's 10 cases. Let's say 5 beer, 4 mixers and 1 of wine, that's ~$500 in and of itself.

Last edited:

kfnmpah

HSC
The other problem is 18 year olds have no idea what formal means. Guys will wear dark suits with white shoes and girls will wear "cocktail dresses" that would be more at home in a strip club. Then you will have 100 odd people in one place looking like tools. Also $500 is jack all for a "formal" thing, you'd need atleast $50 a head at anywhere half decent and that would pretty much just cover some canapes and staff, venue hire would probably be another $500-1000 after that.

Oh and then there's booze, even if people only had on average 2.4 drinks each which is unlikely, that would be 240 drinks. That's 10 cases. Let's say 5 beer, 4 mixers and 1 of wine, that's ~$500 in and of itself.
This guy. He knows what's up.

Just have a party in your house or a pub or something. Save the formal thing for your 21st or something. It's totally not going to be worth paying all that money for a bunch of teenagers who probably won't appreciate the effort and just want to get their drink on (N)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Best route for an 18th is a house party. Cater with pizza, or you could probably get a basic spit roast caterer for around your budget.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
right.
budget of $500-1000..
50-60 guests.
what is that?
$10-$16 a head.
no chance for a 'semi formal' gathering.

a setting/hire hall that looks decent for a semi-formal gathering would cost that alone, let alone the cost of food/catering.

i think for a black tie event (not sure if you're after that) it would be $5k minimum.

black tie being a suitable place, suitable food.. etc.

ie. not a maccas dinner whilst in suits.

what you could do is to get people to buy tickets?
$30 each?

not sure how many people would go for that though,
but it's a good initiative as it would separate those who just want to come for an open bar/pick up, from those who want to come to genuinely celebrate your birthday.

of course it also helps with the expenses

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
right.
budget of $500-1000..
50-60 guests.
what is that?
$10-$16 a head.
no chance for a 'semi formal' gathering.

a setting/hire hall that looks decent for a semi-formal gathering would cost that alone, let alone the cost of food/catering.

i think for a black tie event (not sure if you're after that) it would be $5k minimum.

black tie being a suitable place, suitable food.. etc.

ie. not a maccas dinner whilst in suits.

what you could do is to get people to buy tickets?
$30 each?

not sure how many people would go for that though,
but it's a good initiative as it would separate those who just want to come for an open bar/pick up, from those who want to come to genuinely celebrate your birthday.

of course it also helps with the expenses

hmmm I am willing to put in 500-1000 dollars on my own and I am not sure about him so I guess 1500 for both of us????

Yeah, I gathered that it would be best to get some free function room and get food from there...hm

So what would be other good ideas apart from having Semi-formal party if your budget was around 20-25 dollars per head?

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
you could hire a warehouse for a day and go from there?
it'll cost next to nothing
get some band to play, etc.

get a bbq going, etc

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
why dont you make it BYO booze? that way the only alcohol you have to pay for is your own, and you can use the $500 on other stuff. but i think then you would have to have a house party, or MAYBE you could hire a venue hall (i dunno what the rules are with BYO).

If you did make it BYO however, and you find a venue hall that allows it, you could use the money on food, cake, decorating, a DJ and whatnot.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
btw dont make it formal. like other people have said, save that for your 21st. just let people wear what they would wear to a club or a party.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)