1984 - Powerplay (1 Viewer)

Georgina***

HSC
Hey guys,
Ive done George Orwells 1984 for the Powerplay elective and im just doing some revision for my trial on tuesday and i realised that i have completly no idea what im doing ahah. I looked at some HSC questions for it and i was wondering if someone could help me out with it.

I understand everything and i have heaps of study notes but i just dont know how to write it into an answer.

This is the question that im trying to do.

Texts in this elective offer perspectives on the significance of power in human experiences. Were you persuaded to embrace these perspectives?

Thanks.

HSC
i guess the essay question is asking you to outline the diff. representations of power and their significance on human relationships and then asking you to make your own judgement and how the texts have shaped your understanding of powerplay.

N

Nicola1616

It's a pretty bland sort of question but a good one cause if you answer it well it sort of covers the rubric well.
First you need to clarify in your mind the (is it three) different perspectives you are dealing with. THis will give you a good opening statement for your introduction which should outline the concept of power as broad and fruitful, rich, fecund, deep - whatever. Tie it all in with the notion of its significance to human experience. This will be a bit crapy but maybe a jazzed up version of:

"Power is an inescapable aspect of human existence. For centuries humans have sought to attain, retain, contain and restrain power (sounds like a Dylan song sorry). We speak of power both with adulation and fear for it can be both granted and stolen, empowering us all or leaving us powerless."

Some crap like that to establish that the concept is broad but you should try and reflect any view of power in the texts you are dealing with.

Then - the answer to the question of whether you were 'persuaded' is obviously yes or else you have to argue that George Orwell is a big dick so without saying anything too clumsy like "I was persuaded" speak in the narrative and say "Composers explore different perspectives of power in different ways in order to constuct meaning and convey themes and ideas (that doesn't say that much sorry). George Orwells novel 1984 and blah and blah all examine .........(whatever). They use a number of devices, forms and techniques (or whatever is different about them) in ways which are both compelling and persuasive."

Then maybe for simplicity start with three body paragraphs where you take each text and say how - what particular features - the composer communicates his/her ideas in such a forceful, persuasive (insert adjective) way.

hope that helps some
good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)